PDA

View Full Version : Benefits

andy2
10-10-11, 11:04
Hi everyone.

I am signed off work just now and not sure for how long. I am receiving ssp and wondered if anyone has any experience with benefits. I am married with two kids. My son is disabled so my wife is his main carer which means she doesn't work as such.

I stay in rented propety from a housing association.

Just don't know how we are going to survive on ssp.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Paul

william wallace
10-10-11, 11:10
http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/aboutus/factsheets/about_cab_advice.htm

Ellie-Bear
10-10-11, 11:11
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know much about the benefits system, but I am sure that you will be entitled to housing benefit and council tax benefit especially as all your are getting is ssp. My husband and I run our own business and we don't take a wage from our business as it hasn't been running for long. We have 4 children and live on our child tax credit and working tax credit. We get half of our rent and council tax paid for us, until the day we can take a wage.
It might be worth going to your local Citizens Advice Burea to see what advice they can give you.
Sorry I can't help you more and I hope it all works out for you.
Take care.
Ellie :)

t0rt01se36
10-10-11, 11:20
Andy, I am wondering if your Wife would qualify for Attendance Allowance?

Ju

andy2
10-10-11, 11:25
My wife receives carers allowance.£55 a week which I am absolute piss take. I know people that run care homes for disabled people and there costs can run into hundreds of pounds a week. Is attendance allowance the same thing?

debs71
10-10-11, 12:26
The Directgov website has a benefits checker that you can put all of your personal details into and it will tell you what you may be entitled to in terms of benefits.

This is the link - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DoItOnlineByCategory/DG_172666

:):):)

Incidentally, attendance allowance appears to be different to carer's allowance. The website gives a list of all benefits covered by the benefits checker and it is listed along with carer's allowance.