PDA

View Full Version : Mornings the worst?

mcray1981
10-10-11, 12:58
Hey guys,

I'm starting to feel a little better though on a knife edge of when is it going to kick in again big time.

I'm finding the mornings the worse by a long way - I wake up feeling scared and anxious and then that lasts until tea time and then I feel grand for a while. This feeling of relief hits and I feel good for a while. Then I sleep - wake about 6.30 and feel the same way again.

I know whats causing it - grief and anxiety over what has recently happened to my wife and I. A realisation that the future is not certain and the loss of what I thought the future held for us. Just when I'm like that in the mornings the future seems so scary and pointless to me.

I'm just hoping it passes. :-(

Gemma T
10-10-11, 13:33
Im sorry to hear of your loss.

I suffer with health anxiety and like you find the morning to be the worst. Alot of people on nmp find this.

I think its the uncertainty of the day that the morning holds on us. Like you come eveing time im feeling great. I dont know if its because subconciously we feel as though we have made it through another day or because we just exhaust ourselves by then. Either way Im sure your wife would not want you to feel this way.

Time is a healer.

Love and cuddles

Gemma x x x

Bing1
10-10-11, 16:00
Hi Mcray1981,

Your cycle sounds identical to mine! The mornings are definitely the worst but it won't be like this forever ( or so I keep telling myself! )

I had a complicated miscarriage which I know is where my feelings stem from- like you, as you have pinpointed it to an event. We are just a bit unbalanced at the moment but it's only temporary : )

Are you on any medication? Yesterday, I went to the out of hours doc and was prescribed 2mg Diazepam and Cipralex anti-depressants. I was really in a bad way yesterday, sheer terror is the only way I could describe it. The Diazepam took the edge off but they weren't great really. Went to my own doc's today and was prescribed 20mg of Citalopram which is an anti-depressant with a sedative effect ( doc said to take it at night), he also said not to take Diazepam but beta blockers would be better. I had these from before the trauma for performance anxiety and noticed after taking one today, felt a lot calmer. They stop the adrenalin pumping and reduce the horrible thoughts that's for sure.

If you're not on any medication would really advise you to see your doc as it may help you through this time.

petram
10-10-11, 19:14
mornings are generally worse hun anticapation of the day ahead ext and our serotonin is much lower 1st thing... xx itwill pass tc :)

mcray1981
10-10-11, 20:58
I had a hospital appointment today which all went fine but it meant I could come home an hour or two earlier than normal. I managed an hour of dozing on the sofa with the cat on my knee. Wouldn't say it was the greatest sleep I've ever had as anytime I wake there is this fear that runs through me but it helped. I live in hope that tonight is the night I fall asleep and wake in the morning get into work and then at about 11am realise that I was ok this morning! Maybe tomorrow.. :-)

I'm seeing my counsellor on Wednesday night so I'm hoping that will help a bit. If not I've promised my wife that I will set a date and if I'm feeling no better at that stage I will head back to the doctors.

You guys on this site are great - even with your own troubles you take time to listen to mine. My heart goes out to all of you.

Wotnews
10-10-11, 22:16
Hinguys
I bet if we took a poll of every one living with anxiety most would say mornings are the pits!! I also start to feel better as the day goes on and recently have had goodnevenings.I think I just have to roll with it and make the most of the good times..at least I'm not waking upnat 4am these days.At the weekend I slept thru til 8am..soooooo happy.
One day at a time eh.
Helps to know you're not the only one tho doesn't it..when inwake up tmrw morning I'll remember that all over the country there are other people feeling exactly the same!!

Xxxx

Jamesk
11-10-11, 06:57
Thank God I am not alone in this - just lying here now with the room spinning, dreading getting up and trying to shave as I know how dizzy and anxious I will feel!

I jus wish I could get into work, concentrate and get on with things.:blush:

Susanw
11-10-11, 08:27
Mornings are the very same for me. Im so glad im not alone as feel like im the only person who feels like this. I count down the hours the kids get home from school and try to keep my mind busy, but its so hard to try and get motavated.
Thanks to this site I know im not alone we all have each other :hugs:

Debx
11-10-11, 08:43
Hi there

At the moment mornings are a nightmare for me to waking up at 3am panicking about the day to come .. yesterday my partner had to take the day off work as I was so distraught about being left alone .. yet last week I was ok..ups and downs of this illness. Just as I thought I was beginning to handle mornings. I try to distract myself, come on here for reassurance as it is a great site to share our feelings and realise we are not alone. I have a counselling appointment next week and I am hoping this will help me to cope a bit better.
Take care... x

Veronica H
11-10-11, 11:51
:) Hi all
The more we share our symptoms then the more we realise that they are not only the same, but reassuringly they follow a set trajectory to recovery, depending which stage of the illness we have reached. This is an illness of how we think, which then impacts on the way we feel. The Sensitised nerves take a few months to recover if we do not add fear and 'what ifs' to the equation. This is hard to believe at first I know, and anyone who has had a panic attack will find it hard not to fear another as the fight or flight response is not designed to be ignored.
If you have not yet done so, I would suggest reading a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).
Here is a link to her site;
http://www.claireweekes.com.au/

This will get better. Veronicax

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

:bighug1:McRay. You have been through a lot. Stay strong. Vx

louise19
11-10-11, 13:01
I feel mongings are the worst too, evenings are a lot beter for me, I go to bed thnking may be iam starting to feel better, but the next morning there is always the same dread and anxiety, feel like iam trapped in a nightmare. I just bought one of claire weekes books from amazon and hope i will help. Iam really grateful for the site as it reassures me that iam not going mad.

Bing1
11-10-11, 13:39
Hi Veronica,

I could also recommend this book- actually downloaded the audio book last night from Audible at Amazon as I read about it on a different post on this site. Was in such a state of panic and it really did help. She has quite an authorative voice ( sounds like a gran or something!! ) with 40 years experience so feel she knows what she is talking abaout.

I beleive she passed away in the 90's but it's great her work lives on and is a comfort to so many. I know what you mean, it is a bit old fashioned but the message is a good one 'accept what is happening, and don't run from it' I guess I always feel like it's going to get worse or that I will feel like this for a long time but somewhere deep down know that's not true.

I've downloaded this on to my iphone and will listen regularly ( its 1.5 hours long, think it's a shortened version of the book she's narrating )

:)

Jamesk
13-10-11, 09:22
Awful morning this morning fully blown panic attack when I wa shaving where I thought I was going t o fall over or die.

No idea why is happened as I used o find a slow methodical shave a very calming experience.

However as Bing1 suggested above I had downloaded the Weekes audio book and it kind of helped. She sounds strangely like she is from the 50s bu I a comforting way. Anyway I think it helped me a bit and if you don't find it helpful it should make you laugh as she sounds like Harry Enfield doing one of hips spoof 50s government instructional films.

mcray1981
13-10-11, 22:22
Thanks guys for the replies. It was good to know the other morning when this happened that I wasnt on my own but that I can get through it. It has started to ease though so I'm hopeful its going to shift for a while. I found 2 things which help

- 1 I cover the clock in the room so when I do wake I dont roll over see it and panic that I'm going to spend the next while stressing
- 2 I have been trying to do some breathing exercises before I get out of bed

Both help a bit though dont take it away altogether. I just have to keep in my head that it will ease and will pass.

Maybe we should start a tips on coping strategies for the mornings...

James - sorry to hear about your panic attack this morning. Hope the day got easier for you after this. :)