PDA

View Full Version : worry about UTIs recurring-just me ?

hyg
11-10-11, 13:21
Hi
This is a funny one but ever since I had a kidney infection earlier this year that started out as cystitis Ive worried thatim gonna get another UTI. If I go to the toilet more than twice in an hour Im thinking the worse. I have my own urine dipsticks that I use sometimes use daily to check my urine for signs of infection and a few weeks ago persuaded the nurse to give me a prescription for antibiotics cos I thought I had a UTI (I didnt )
I dont know why Im like this now as Ive suffered on and off with cystitis all my adult life and I just used to take it in my stride. Im due on any day soon so have water retention which is making me pee a lot anyway but its really irritating me today-Ive tested urine its fine. Its probably the old health anxiety blowing things way out of proportion !
Advice or thoughts anyone ??:wacko:

Chem
11-10-11, 14:45
Stop testing your urine! That's making you focus on it.

Your body can become used to antibiotics and then they won't work anymore. They should only be prescribed by a doctor if you've had your urine tested.

Drink at least 2 litres water a day. Your urine should be clear, not dark coloured.
Keep yourself clean down there with non-scented products and always wipe front to back.
Cranberry juice helps prevent cystitis.
If you are stinging, run a couple of inches of water in the bath and wee in there. Urine is sterile unless you have an infection.
See your doctor if it goes on for more than 3 days, especially if it keeps recurring.

hyg
11-10-11, 17:26
Hi
thanks for reply-yes your right about the urine testing- I need to stop it ! Thats the problem with HA though ! Im probably over anxious at moment as in PMT mode.:unsure:

Hazel B
11-10-11, 20:02
I can relate to this. I had UTIs and constant "urge" to go last year when I had anxiety. Even when my tests were all clear, I was convinced it would all come back. It's so miserable when you need to wee every 15 minutes and have urge and burning issues, I felt my life was worth nothing (not in a depressed way, just a realistic view that you cannot enjoy life when it revolves around the toilet!).

Try to distract yourself and keep busy, I also learnt how to challenge negative thoughts and that does help.

Other things I do include: drinking lots of water, wear cotton only gussets in pants, use sensitive washing tablets, avoid using soap, shower gel and bubble bath (I use Simple products) and always wipe front to back to keep bacteria away. :)