PDA

View Full Version : Getting my GP to prescribe me diazepam

Epsilon
11-10-11, 15:50
how can I do it?

I've been on citalopram for 2 years now and it's not working at all, I just started university and my anxiety is awful, I am having panic attacks constantly, I saw him today and asked for it but he was reluctant to give me it, I don't want to have to drop out because of this but I can't carry on in this condition, shouldn't he HAVE to give me it if it's going to help me? he said if he did give me it, it would only be temporary like 1-2 days worth..

pinkdove
11-10-11, 16:02
Hi epsilom, yea it can be difficult to get your gp to prescribe diazapam, but if you fully explain your circumstances, i would think he should help you in the short term, the thing with diazapam is that they can be very addictive, but even at 2mg very effective for short term use, maybe you should consider a change in meds if the citalopram is not working for you, and ask for the diazapam to help you make the switch, your gp should be taking you seriously if you are thinking of droppiong out, make another appointment and explain everything to him, and if he is not prepared to help you, perhaps see another gp. good luck xx :hugs:

ZHBully
11-10-11, 16:59
I can possibly understand if your dr wants you to try something else first, before prescribing diazepam. But if he isn't offering other help then you must really push for something!

You shouldn't have to feel crap and put your uni in jeopardy, and that worry is bound not to be helping you either!

Good luck x

Epsilon
11-10-11, 17:33
he said citalopram is the best SSRI and I can't have beta blockers because I have asthma and the only other thing is benzo's isn't it? what else should I try?

Dibbler
11-10-11, 18:20
You could try asking for a course of CBT...?
Whilst I imagine that it will not be particularly quick to organise and set-up, if you are determined after the pre-assessment interview to potentially benefit from the counselling.
Diazapam is a useful drug, for short term treatment of anxiety, but it is certainly not one which I would want to be using for much longer than a couple of weeks.
I do not know if this would be appropriate but have you asked if amitriptyline could be of use for you and your issues..? It has a sedative effect which might well be beneficial for you..?

I have both diazapam and Amitriptyline on a repeat prescription and the diazapam and just tend to get it as and when I require it.

ZHBully
11-10-11, 18:55
You could try asking if there is another type of anti-depressant that might help you. I can sympathise with the feeling that they conk out after a few years. Initially I was on zoloft, then when anxiety became a problem my dr suggested Mirtazapine, which he said should be good for depression & anxiety. I'm not totally convinced by it but if the citalopram isn't helping anymore, then it might be worth a try and it might help you.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, it would really be worth letting your uni know your situation. If it comes to needing extensions etc (which in my experience, my uni were very understanding), they'll likely be more sympathetic knowing it's not just because of a piss up evening!

GlenyD
11-10-11, 21:39
It's a total nightmare trying to get anyone to prescribe Diazepam these days. I literally had to beg in tears on the phone and in person for it. I'd been on it before in the past and knew it would help me sleep (after having gone more than a week solid without). It's a bit over-the-top the way they see it as the Devil's drug. It's highly effective, but it is highly addictive too and very more-ish (to paraphrase Russel Brand). Coming off it is also pretty hellish. But good luck to you. I really hope things work out ok.

Epsilon
12-10-11, 18:03
went again today, he was having none of it, was even reluctant to switch me to another SSRI, he wants me to come off citalopram slowly starting with 20mg over the next week. this sucks. i'll be gone by then.

eight days a week
12-10-11, 19:08
went again today, he was having none of it, was even reluctant to switch me to another SSRI, he wants me to come off citalopram slowly starting with 20mg over the next week. this sucks. i'll be gone by then.

This doesn't sound right to me at all.

He's already said he'd give you 2-3 days' worth - if you're that close to giving up college (please please try not to, by the way) he should be trying that.

Can you go to another GP? It sounds like yours doesn't know what he's talking about if he insists there's one 'best' SSRI for everyone. To me it also sounds like he doesn't know much about panic and anxiety...if you're taking someone off an SSRI (which can cause anxiety) diazepam's often used to help, and if they already have an anxiety problem...well, he should be doing more imho.

Have you tried talking to anyone in the meantime to help you through? Panic phonelines?

Really feel for you, hope you feel much better soon :hugs:

Epsilon
12-10-11, 19:10
This doesn't sound right to me at all.

He's already said he'd give you 2-3 days' worth - if you're that close to giving up college (please please try not to, by the way) he should be trying that.

Can you go to another GP? It sounds like yours doesn't know what he's talking about if he insists there's one 'best' SSRI for everyone. To me it also sounds like he doesn't know much about panic and anxiety...if you're taking someone off an SSRI (which can cause anxiety) diazepam's often used to help, and if they already have an anxiety problem...well, he should be doing more imho.

Have you tried talking to anyone in the meantime to help you through? Panic phonelines?

Really feel for you, hope you feel much better soon :hugs:

if I go to another GP, will they not get my records and info etc from him and say the same thing?

and I agree it sounds like he isn't really that knowledgable about it, I feel like I know more and I got my information from the internet.

I really don't want to talk to anyone about it or any therapy.. I just don't want to. I don't think it will work and it goes against the entire problem: being around/talking to other people.

eight days a week
12-10-11, 19:13
Another thought - I should think a day or two of diazepam may well break the cycle if you're in a constant state of panic. Why won't he at least give you a break for a couple of days?!

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

if I go to another GP, will they not get my records and info etc from him and say the same thing?

They'll get the records of course but they won't necessarily share the same 'professional' opinion.

Epsilon
12-10-11, 20:42
I feel like by the end of the week I will either drop out, or kill myself. preferibly the latter, because I have nothing to go home to.

I have some cannabis I ordered online coming tommorow sometime, i'm hoping that will help me.

if I tell my doctor about it, he can't tell anyone right? doctor patient confidentiality? he won't get me booted out of the university will he?

mikewales
12-10-11, 20:45
Dont take cannabis, it can be one of the worst things for people with anxiety and can make it much much worse, and also in some cases lead to much longer long term damage.

Although if you have ordered it online, its probably dried nettles or an oxo cube !

nicola1980
12-10-11, 20:55
Please don't do anyhting silly, maybe u could upp ur cit or try another AD?? some doctors r so against prescribing diazepam, mine does with me as he says he trusts me not to abuse it and i never would.......i actually hate having to take it but sometimes needs must, please don't smoke the cannabis as in the long term it will only make ur anxiety worse, hope u feel better soon
Nicola xx

Anxious_gal
13-10-11, 00:19
If you take a sedative every day for 3 weeks there's a huge change your body will get addicted to it.
Also you develop a tolerance and will have to keep upping the dose.

eight days a week
13-10-11, 18:45
How are things today Epsilon? Really hope you're feeling better :)

I feel like by the end of the week I will either drop out, or kill myself. preferibly the latter, because I have nothing to go home to.

I have some cannabis I ordered online coming tommorow sometime, i'm hoping that will help me.

if I tell my doctor about it, he can't tell anyone right? doctor patient confidentiality? he won't get me booted out of the university will he?

Firstly (of course) please don't do anything silly...

Please tell your doctor that you feel like this, if you haven't already.

As for cannabis, a friend in the States is actually prescribed it for anxiety and depression, which amazed me, so I've looked into it quite a lot recently. Medical marijuana's now legal in quite a few countries, and eleven (I think) states in the US. He even has a permit to grow it for other people. The thing is they have medical dispensaries that check the quality and recommend different types for different patients. Some types will make you more anxious as others have said, only some types are (apparently) good for anxiety.

If you tell your doctor you're smoking cannabis I don't think he can ethically or professionally tell anyone, no. And surely you can't get booted out of uni unless you get into trouble with the police?

Epsilon
13-10-11, 19:08
And surely you can't get booted out of uni unless you get into trouble with the police?

might be able to kick me off teh campus accomodation though

eight days a week
13-10-11, 19:23
I wouldn't have thought so because it breaks the same professional code, and how on earth does he know where you're smoking it anyway?!

Ignore that point, it's irrelevant really (you'll probably get the same reaction from him if you tell him you've bought a bottle of whisky anyway, so if you want to just do that).

I think it's more important you see your doc as soon as you can and tell him how low you've been feeling (the part I put in bold in my last post).

How are you feeling today compared to yesterday?

Epsilon
14-10-11, 14:03
I went to the shop today and could barely handle it, I think i'm worse every day. i'm going to call them and ask for a phone consultation and tell him i'm dropping out unless he can give me some valium to help (I don't even know if it will work or how much it will help me, but there's nothing left to try)

nicola1980
14-10-11, 14:26
Have you tried upping your cit? 20mg isnt enough 4 me with my anxiety i needed 30mg last time which ive just upped to today. Nicola x x

Epsilon
14-10-11, 14:28
i'm on 40mg Citalopram. this past week i've been double-dosing it for 80mg, hasn't really done anything, just makes it really hard for me to 1. get drunk, 2. get high

eight days a week
14-10-11, 19:49
I think the most important thing is that you need to speak to your doc and tell him how desperate you're feeling. He then has got to do something.

i'm on 40mg Citalopram. this past week i've been double-dosing it for 80mg, hasn't really done anything, just makes it really hard for me to 1. get drunk, 2. get high

I went to the shop today and could barely handle it, I think i'm worse every day. i'm going to call them and ask for a phone consultation and tell him i'm dropping out unless he can give me some valium to help (I don't even know if it will work or how much it will help me, but there's nothing left to try)

It sounds like you're smoking and drinking, and that neither are doing you much good, so sorry to hear that.

Doubling your cit might help I guess (I don't much about it other than it didn't help me) but shouldn't your doctor be on side with that? And, it takes weeks, doesn't it, for the effects to kick in?

It sounds to me (I know I said it before) that you just need a short term break from this awful cycle of stress. You said that your doctor had said he could only prescribe a day or two of diazepam, why can't you try that? The thing is, now you're talking about an ultimatum to your doctor about giving it to you...I know you're desperate, but if he sense that's where you're coming from I don't think that would go down well at all :(

For me I'd do it like this:

1) go to my GP and tell him how desperate I am for some immediate relief (gently raising the subject of a couple of days' worth of diazepam just for a 'break' from things, if he doesn't already mention it)

2) ask for something for the medium to long term (increased cit/CBT/whatever he can offer)

3) If I'm not happy with 1) and 2) I'd change GPs asap.

Best wishes to you :)

eight days a week
17-10-11, 17:06
How are things Epsilon? Been thinking about you, really hope things are better...

Epsilon
18-10-11, 17:35
I saw another GP at the on-campus place and he wouldn't give me anything even though I told him I was dropping out otherwise. I am back home now and i'm going to see my usual GP and see if he won't give me any diazapam for long term use, and if I feel like it's working well enough I will go back to Uni next week, if not i'll be dropping out completely, which sucks :(

PUGLETMUM
18-10-11, 20:03
:ohmy:i really really dont want to sound preachy here - as im on 20mg cit and i have drank quite alot while ive been on it, but ive known i shouldnt, and im 5wks pregnant now so wont touch a drop of alcohol - but you really are prob undoing the benefit of the cit through drinking and smoking weed - which is really really bad for ppl with mental health issues - have you ever been truthful with any gps about your drink and drug habits - coz i really dont think they would agree with your use under the circumstances- and the reason why they wont give u valium is coz a) it is highly highly addictive b) your too young and you dont have any dependents c) you have family to go to and lastly d) they dont want to compound your anxiety by adding an addiction to your list of 'issues/problems' - you could do with looking into ways to try to help yourself if you dont want therapy - exercise can be a lifesaver to the anxiouds and depressed or meditation or yoga or walking or helping others - all just suggestions of things that have been known to help:)

eight days a week
18-10-11, 20:30
Sorry to hear that Epsilon.

As it's such a threat to your studies I'd really recommend getting in touch with the student welfare people for their advice and support, that's what they're there for. If you do need a break they should be able to help with that so you don't have to permanently drop out but can return when meds or therpay have helped etc.

I wouldn't have though asking for a long-term prescription for diazepam will get you very far with most doctors. I would think that most would give you a few days' worth to start with and want to review you.

Anyway, really hope you feel better soon and get the support you need :)

Emmas you make some good points, amongst others about not drinking excessively, exercise, yoga and meditation etc (all great if you can manage them) but some things you've written I strongly disagree with, especially:

the reason why they wont give u valium is coz...b) your too young and you dont have any dependents c) you have family to go to...

I don't think these are true at all!!

Epsilon
19-10-11, 01:38
I never normally drink or smoke pot, but I had to try something to get through uni, even with those it was too hard. If my doc doesn't give me any diazepam I can acquire some illegally quite easily, I would just rather get them legit from him and he can monitor me on them etc (plus, they would be free)

petram
19-10-11, 14:46
every doc is differnt if u explain u wont them for cure not prevention he shoul dgive em to u if not ask to see another gp with in your surgery , if them tabs are making u il come off em alot off ssri s make ya anxiety go through the roof iv come all ssri s they just make me 100 x worse !! took me years tho an dmy doc as given 5 mg of valum on a prn basis , i generally take 2.5 mg but found on a cpl off occassions they make me feel low ao gonna hlf the 2.5 if i can !! dont need to feel low when u feel calm .good luck hun xxx

eight days a week
19-10-11, 21:30
Completely understandable Epsilon and I think you're doing the right thing continuing to look for a sympathetic GP :)

(I would also still look for help from the uni welfare though)

Epsilon
20-10-11, 14:35
GP switched me to an SNRI called mirtazapine. obviously not what I wanted, and it's not an immediate relief, so unfortunately it seems I will have to drop out of univeristy.

petram
20-10-11, 14:41
let me know how u go with them , hopefully they work nicely unlike the ssri s !! x

mikewales
20-10-11, 17:39
Taking some time out of Uni is probably not a bad idea, and certainly better than getting valium illegally and relying on that ( valium doesn't cure anything, all it does is mask the symptoms, and it is highly addictive ).

You are still young, so take a year out of Uni, get yourself sorted out, and you can go back once you are coping better.

petram
21-10-11, 21:33
valum is fine as long as used as a cure rather than prevention!! ....... only take them if your feeling real bad dont take them for the sake of just incase i feel anxious attitude,that s how people become dependant and cant get off em :) good luck sweety , but i would be very warey of buyin on the net!! xx

haz
22-10-11, 00:10
he said citalopram is the best SSRI and I can't have beta blockers because I have asthma and the only other thing is benzo's isn't it? what else should I try?

That's not necessarily true! Different SSRI's work better for some people than others. Most doctors have their "favourite" drugs and citalopram is pretty cheap. Ask to try another SSRI if the cit isn't working for you.

Good Luck! x

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

Sorry, just read you've been switched to mirtazapine. Hope these work better for you.

Also, smoking cannibas isn't a good idea at the moment I don't think.

Best Wishes. x

looking4answers
22-10-11, 04:33
I love my valium and dont intend to ever giveit up. Works like a charm and keeps me pretty worry free and calm but I read where valium upisnt really gpfor panic attacks just for anxiety. So far to date only one panic attack ,last night lasted for 30 minutes but it had been 12 hours sine I had taken my last dose. Oh by the way no side effects that I have noticed at all.