PDA

View Full Version : I Just Remembered my Blood Test and I'm Worried :(

skyisblue
12-10-11, 03:34
Hi

I apologize for another post. :(

Basically, last March I had a full blood check and urinalysis from a small laboratory near our place. The results were normal except for the ff:

My urine tested for SEVERE presence of protein as indicated by "+++" in the results test.
My urea level was a bit elevated
My creatinine level was normal but was considered "high normal"

I went to my doctor (who was an immunologist) to have it checked. At first she looked very doubtful. She said that I should get another urinalysis -- this time at a major hospital. She didn't seemed concerned too much about the blood test and told me I should just lower down my urea and creatinine etc.

So I did get another urinalysis at the hospital she recommended and thankfully -- my urinalysis showed no signs of protein, sugar, etc. I went back to the doctor and told me everything was ok.

That was 6 months ago. Back then, I and my family interpreted urea as "uric acid" which could be brought down by managing my diet. However, just now (after 6 months), I found out that urea and uric acid are different things. Urea shows your kidney functions. :weep:

Is is possible that the small diagnostic laboratory also made a mistake in my blood test just like in my urinalysis? (What's worst is, I'm thinking that the major hospital is the one that made a mistake!). I'm scared about the creatinine and urea levels. I feel like my kidneys are going to fail me within the year and I'm only 21 :weep:

skyisblue
12-10-11, 13:00
OMG FALSE ALARM, PEOPLE!

I managed to find the blood test results sheet and it turns out that it was "urates" that was elevated (which is uric acid) and not "urea". Stupid HA!!!

Does anybody know how to reduce uric acid in the blood? :(

debs71
12-10-11, 13:18
Hi,

Just a thought, but I am wondering why you are worrying about results from 7 months ago because your blood levels have probably changed since then, and I assume you have also been pretty asymptomatic?

Uric acid can be elevated due to diet, obesity and booze, so adjusting any of these things if they are relevant to you might be an idea.

I know if you have health anxiety it is really, really hard to put these things from your mind, but if you are generally well and no signs or symptoms of anything amiss are cropping up, I really would not worry.

The most common thing that high uric acid causes is gout and you would know you have that for sure as it is not pleasant at all.

Take care.:hugs:

skyisblue
18-10-11, 06:35
Thank you very much, debs. Sorry for the late reply.

I've been eating a lot of fastfood lately and I think that wrecks a lot on my diet.

I just moved in into our new condominium and good to know that our new place has a big pool and gym as part of the amenities. I'm thinking of losing weight to get back on track.

I hope it's not too late.

If you guys know anything else I an do to fix this, please do let me know. :wacko: