PDA

View Full Version : Heart burn Acid Reflux

hazy
12-10-11, 17:58
Hi,

I have been suffering from acid reflux on and off since last Christmas and since then it comes and goes. I went to the Doctors and he prescribed Lansoprazole and at first it seemed to cure things but now its back again. I have the typical throat burning choking sensation and aching in the centre of my chest through to my back. I am under alot of stress at the moment as my husband and I have just separated (30th August) and I am busy trying to organise a house move, schools for the kids etc. Trouble is I have suffered with health anxiety for a few years now and although it is alot better, I still get bouts of panic, particularly now that I am a single Mum, I worry about if anything serious happens to me and what I would do for my kids etc. I know alot of this is irrational but can someone just reassure me that I am not going to die and that this is nothing and not cancer as I am fearing. Trouble is with me I always worry that something is straight forward and that it is always serious and think of the worst case scenario.

LiquidSky
12-10-11, 19:46
hi hazy, I, like you, suffer from acid reflux, it's horrible, I was on lansoprazole for a while and you're right it did work at first, but then I started getting what I thought were side effects from it, so stopped it, and back came the heartburn. I'm now on omeprazole, which is a lighter alternative and this seems to be helping a bit, however, I've also changed my diet too, and drink plenty of water and some milk too, and try to avoid the trigger foods (for me it is cheese or tomato puree, so pizzas are now out of the question) to keep the acids at bay, this doesn't always work, but it certainly helps. Have you spoken to your doctor about the fact it's not working so well anymore? Unfortunately acid reflux is a classic symptom of anxiety and stress. Try not to worry and speak to your GP, if it helps, they should be able to put your mind fully at ease.

ciccone-hassell
12-10-11, 22:37
hi hazy keep strong you know we are all thinking of you at this sad stressfull time , i going though bad acid reflux atm i was on losec for years but the doc put me on lansoprazole 30mg 1 in morning only started em today fingers crossed i mainly wanted say i suffer from bad health axiety as well everything i get i thinks gunna kill me or think i am dieing its horrible and i feel for you i really do i struggle some days not to contatntly thinking i gunna die from somethink the mind gets set on theses things and them i'm doomed with it forever :( ,, keep strong and if you ever need chat i'm ere anytime i can be for you or anyone for that matter

hazy
15-10-11, 13:05
Thank you for replying, I went to the Doctors yesterday and he wants to carry out a breath test to check whether there is an infection, but this is going to be in 2 weeks as the medication I was on for the acid I have to wait 2 weeks from stopping it. Anyway my only symptom at the moment in an annoying ache right in the centre of my back between my shoulder blades and I made the fatal mistake of googling just that, the first thing I saw was a forum about survivng cancer and that these people's first symptoms were back ache and acid reflux but the Doctor didn't pick it up. What the hell, I am now terrified. Should I be worried or not :((

ciccone-hassell
15-10-11, 22:45
no dont worry please dont let DR GOOGLE scare you i can asure you 1000000000% if there was anything for you to stree about the doctor would have sorted it for you ,, i can hardly be the one to comment like i said before i'm so the same as you and alot of ppl on ere i get so scared all time with my health stress :( ,, for me its like 2nd nature now to contatnly stress bout my health ,, i wish there was a magic cure i could have and share with us all i be first to help us all ,, me its just heart burn all time burning in throat and lower colon and contanstly feel nervous and i did a dr google as well that i gettin lump in throat feelin and contanlty fels like food there :( cancer came up as well :( cant win can we xx

Greenman50
17-10-11, 00:50
Thank you for replying, I went to the Doctors yesterday and he wants to carry out a breath test to check whether there is an infection, but this is going to be in 2 weeks as the medication I was on for the acid I have to wait 2 weeks from stopping it. Anyway my only symptom at the moment in an annoying ache right in the centre of my back between my shoulder blades and I made the fatal mistake of googling just that, the first thing I saw was a forum about survivng cancer and that these people's first symptoms were back ache and acid reflux but the Doctor didn't pick it up. What the hell, I am now terrified. Should I be worried or not :((

Hi Hazy

Put them thoughts right out of your head, i,ve been there read the sites , done the googling and been through the heartburn / meds / same pain / same places as you .
The more i googled the more i pannicked . I googled for months(seriously) searching for answers thats how i found this site , you will only ever ever find worse case posts when googling .
My pain and heartburn/sore throat was severve i lost 3 stone and my sternum was so inflamed it showed through my stomach . I was in constant pain for 10-12 weeks untill it slowly , very slowly got better , i was crapping myself !
I ended up in such a state with a sore throat /acid (caused by anxiety !) that i ended up on AD,s .
The bottom line is my stomach over produces acid like my old fella has done for 50 years , he is 80 next year .
I wasn,t dieing , didn,t have anything more sinister but i wouldn,t be told as i had HA which made it all worse .
A year later i,m still on meds but better most of the time stomach wise .

Feel free to pm me if you need a chat , i,m no Doctor but from my own experience you sound fine and just need to ride it out untill after the test then you might need meds untill it goes, i presume its for the heli bacteria (spelling) mine was negative but they did a stool sample for me instead not the breath test .
Anxiety causes or makes stomach problems worse .
Take care you will be fine , i have the T shirt to prove it..

:hugs:

hazy
17-10-11, 07:55
Thanks so much Mel2, you have put my mind at ease. I am not in agony just keep getting heartburn and once I take Gavison it eases, but the ache in my back I try to diagnose whether it is my esophigus or just general back ache from over doing it? I just hate the fact that I cannot accept what a Doctor tells me, why do I assume they have missed diagnosed and then my mind works over-time. I am not as bad as I used to be with Google, thank God. A few years ago I had convinced myself I had cervical cancer as I had constantly got a dull period pain ache and couldn't understand it, I later, much later established it was due to heavy lifting as I had my own cleaning job and was lifting vac's and filled mop buckets up and down stairs aswell as carrying my then 3 year old around, but I had absolutely convinced myself all was doom and gloom.

At the moment I am going through alot of stress me and my husband separated on 30th August which I am totally relieved about but I am having to move house as we are living in army accomodation and no longer entitled to stay here, plus I have to put my 2 boys into a new school and set up home again in my home town. So my stress levels are higher than normal.

What terrifies me is the tests, that the breath test, which Mel you were correct in naming, I worry that if that comes back as normal, what then? Did you find that you have to avoid certain foods and if so which food made it worse?

Thanks for your reply though I do feel better xx

Ddcoo
17-10-11, 08:28
You are not going to die; you are going through an extremely stressful time in your life and it takes time to readjust. You would be some tough cookie if you didn't have some sort of reaction and yours is the acid reflux. Just take the doctors advice and do anything that helps you feel better. I went through a divorce from a soldier, it is never an easy time and you are doing very well.

I have been worrying about dying for the past 50 years, but guess what, I am still here. Like you I have acid reflux and take anything that helps, but even so the reflux still seems to break through, but when my body finishes twittering about its present worry it will go away for a bit until the next time. I actually get referred pain from the throat into the top of my arms and my doctor said that the connecting nerves are involved. I thought that there was something really amiss.

You will be OK, just take it one day at a time and try to look forward to your new life - I know it is difficult, but you will get through.

hazy
17-10-11, 09:07
Thank you Ddcoo what kind reassuring words. I sometimes wish someone would clearly define 'Stress' as so many assume you would be running around frantically with your head in your hands!! I am just waiting to move house now, after 17 years of marriage the army allowed me 93 days to vacate the army quarter, how kind! I can't wait to move because then I can start to re-build my life and whilst I am here my ex keeps in regular contact, to the point where I feel sometimes that he is just away on a course or something, when I move I can hopefully wipe the slate clean.

It would be great if each Doctors practise set-up an anxiety clinic say once or twice a week to help combat this condition, because to often people who have never experienced it tend to shrug it off making comments like "get a grip".

Its funny I have been a member on here since 2009 when I now believe that I had a mini nervous breakdown, as knowing what I know now, you can't have a panic attack that lasts from the minute you wake to the minute you go to be for a year!!

Anyway hope this acid thingey is just a temporary thing and doesn't last for years, thanks xxx

Ddcoo
17-10-11, 10:41
Hi again Hazey, just wondered if you are using the Army services i.e. SSAFA and the Army Welfare, both of whom have your interests at heart and will help you tremendously; you have earned their help!! I was married for 22 yrs so do know what you are going through.

I used to do the usual Wives Club and Thrift Shop duties but I also started a Menopausal Night which went down a storm. Maybe when you are settled you could set up a Stress Night with your buddies, not enough nights like them around and I am sure there wouldn't be enough seats in your house. The very best of luck:yesyes:

brew30
17-10-11, 10:58
hi hazy, I, like you, suffer from acid reflux, it's horrible, I was on lansoprazole for a while and you're right it did work at first, but then I started getting what I thought were side effects from it, so stopped it, and back came the heartburn. I'm now on omeprazole, which is a lighter alternative and this seems to be helping a bit, however, I've also changed my diet too, and drink plenty of water and some milk too, and try to avoid the trigger foods (for me it is cheese or tomato puree, so pizzas are now out of the question) to keep the acids at bay, this doesn't always work, but it certainly helps. Have you spoken to your doctor about the fact it's not working so well anymore? Unfortunately acid reflux is a classic symptom of anxiety and stress. Try not to worry and speak to your GP, if it helps, they should be able to put your mind fully at ease.

Hi just read what you put to hazy, it;s me n you n everyone else on this page!!!.just started again with the reflux n acid. it comes n goes it gives me chest pain in pains in my back..but the worst of all is the pain in my shoulder of my left arm, god i crap it!!!! deffo think it's my heart does enyone else get this in there shoulder to..there guna change my meds to the one your taken. i'm on pantorazole 20mg n another one for the wind. please if enyone else reads this cud they please tell me if they get this shoulder pain xx

hazy
19-10-11, 07:12
Hi,

Yes I have been to SAAFA and Army Welfare Service, but quite frankly they are not interested. I have come to believe that the Army most definately like everyone to think they care, when in fact their priority is the soldier, which is understandable, but after 17 years of marriage and 11 army houses and numerous jobs, changes in schools for the kids, all it comes down to is 93 days for me to move out of the house. Thankfully I don't mind to sooner I am out of the army loop the better. Hardly any wonder I have had acid reflux!!

Ddcoo
19-10-11, 08:25
:winks:HiHazey, I am so very sorry that you didn't get any joy from SSAFA and Army Welfare, I honestly thought they would be so helpful. As you say, it is no wonder you are suffering from acid reflux, you are dealing with a hell of a lot of stress. I wish there was something positive that I could suggest to you, but all I can do is wish you loads of strength to cope with it all. Do let us know how you get on.

brew30
13-11-11, 18:29
Hi Hazy

Put them thoughts right out of your head, i,ve been there read the sites , done the googling and been through the heartburn / meds / same pain / same places as you .
The more i googled the more i pannicked . I googled for months(seriously) searching for answers thats how i found this site , you will only ever ever find worse case posts when googling .
My pain and heartburn/sore throat was severve i lost 3 stone and my sternum was so inflamed it showed through my stomach . I was in constant pain for 10-12 weeks untill it slowly , very slowly got better , i was crapping myself !
I ended up in such a state with a sore throat /acid (caused by anxiety !) that i ended up on AD,s .
The bottom line is my stomach over produces acid like my old fella has done for 50 years , he is 80 next year .
I wasn,t dieing , didn,t have anything more sinister but i wouldn,t be told as i had HA which made it all worse .
A year later i,m still on meds but better most of the time stomach wise .

Feel free to pm me if you need a chat , i,m no Doctor but from my own experience you sound fine and just need to ride it out untill after the test then you might need meds untill it goes, i presume its for the heli bacteria (spelling) mine was negative but they did a stool sample for me instead not the breath test .
Anxiety causes or makes stomach problems worse .
Take care you will be fine , i have the T shirt to prove it..

:hugs:

jus reread what u put to hazy, can you tell me when u are at your worst with acid reflux. does it go under both arm-pit's...thank you x