PDA

View Full Version : University Worries.

Joellie
12-10-11, 23:08
Im at Uni studying to be a Primary Teacher, Im in my 2nd yr and I have a placement coming up.

Last year was pretty smooth, I was on citalopram and i generally got through the year with a few stresses but generally got good marks to pass the year. This year has been a massive contrast. Ive been off cit for 2 months and im rather anxious at the moment.

I dont feel good enough for the course, I worry that its not what i want. I know 100% that I want to work in a primary school, however, i thought i was better than just settling for being a teaching assistant so did this degree. Now im worrying that if teaching is too much pressure for me or i dont like the added pressure of this job, I will be too qualified to be a teaching assistant.

If i quit il be dissapointed that i didnt finish the course or give it a real go and if i dont quit i will be giving up my chances of ever being a TA.

I have a session at uni with is about learning to teach and it seems this triggers anxiety for me really badly. I come out each week feeling really negative because the lessons seem to pile on more and more things we need to be able to do to be a good teacher.

I know that they are just trying to get us to be as best as we can, but i just dont think its humanely possible to do all that were expected.

Now i have a placement coming up for 4 weeks and im scared im going to crack with the pressure. Not sure if i should go back on citalopram or stick at it. I know its expected to not be a walk in the park but not sure if im piling up the pressure.

Thanks for reading.

weevil
13-10-11, 14:45
I'm feeling the same about uni myself since coming back as a mature student. Anxiety makes us think horrible things and its hard to know if we're exaggerating, the fear is real though.

Why did you come off citalopram? If it helped it might be worth going back on it, medicating is definitley not giving up, I think I'd be doomed without some that worked.

I'm sure it must seem terrifying but this placement might be the ideal situation to see how you feel about the job itself. And I dont see why you can't still be a TA afterwards if that's what you want, I don't think there's such a thing as over qualified these days! :) Your experience on this course will always help.

Joellie
13-10-11, 16:01
I came off because i had been anxiety and depression free for about 8 months and it was getting to the point where i was just not seeing the point in taking it anymore. I just wish i could have the mindset to get round the anxiety itself.

Its like i dont want to treat the symptoms, i want to fix the cause, and im not doing that by being on meds!

I think this placement will be good as il see what it is i want to do. Just really scary :S

weevil
13-10-11, 16:16
Are you getting any counselling or anything? That's what helps fix things and it's okay to treat the symptoms in the meantime, often necessary, it makes us able to function.

When does your placement start? I understand it's overwhelming to think of everything you need to be for the job but I don't think anyone expects you to be experienced from day one, most jobs you get used to and learn as you go along.

Joellie
13-10-11, 20:28
Yeah your right. I know I just get irrational over normal worries like 'will children actually learn from me?' lol :/

Im not in councelling atm, but i did for about a year in college and it was really helpful and the stuff that was said then is still helpful now its just a case of waiting for the anxiety and then putting into practise what i know. I would like to have more but my Dr rejected the idea last time and instead just put me on citalopram (again) and said see how you feel in a month. Of course by then the meds worked and i felt fine.
!
Might look into private therapy

musiclover
13-10-11, 20:35
OMG Joellie, your first post is something I could have wrote!! I have just started year 2 at Uni doing a course in a caring profession where I have to do placement, it starts next week!!

Does your university have a mental health adviser or a counselling centre? Mine does and I met with ours this week. He was brilliant, I have emailed my course tutors to advise them of my situation and he has made me feel like I have support of it all goes tits up!!

I would advise speaking with your GP about your medication as if you have 4 weeks then if you want to go back on it then, you'll need this time for it to 'bed in'.

To get on a teaching course at Uni, you must be very special and the kids will be very lucky. Believe in yourself!!

Gembutt
13-10-11, 20:46
Hey guys! I have just read your posts and I feel exactly the same. I am a first year student and it's been such a big change for me. In the first week I was having the feelings of anxiety in every single lecture because I don't think I will pass the course..
And also because I want to work in film I worry everyday that I will never get my dream job.

I came from a small college and I feel people at uni will judge me and the way I react to things but I keep missing the odd day because I just can't get round the anxiety..

I have had them since I was 15 years of age and I am almost 21 now and I have always refused citalopram, I really wanted to fight these on my own but sometimes I feel like giving up on my own will power and taking the meds just so they will go away =(

I tried counselling out when I was 18 and it was fantastic, the woman I spoke to made me feel like such a strong person. I am definitely looking into counselling whilst at university, I know it will help me a lot.

Good luck with your course! xx

weevil
13-10-11, 20:54
That's not very good of the doctor to fob you off like that and only give you medication, since you're at uni have you looked into their counselling services? My uni's been really helpful for me. I see someone else thought the same while I was writing my reply :)

I'm not a fan of citalopram personally, well it wasn't a fan of me but when anti depressants used to work they allowed me to function so that I could just get through the day, it's not a weakness or giving in for anyone to try them. I've tried to think it away on my own far too much. My doctor said today sometimes the anxiety is bigger than you. I thought she would be disappointed that I'd already failed myself and missed some classes but she was instead pleased that I'd carried on turning up afterwards and not just given up, even that I made it on campus to my appointment with her. She totally justified it so I didn't feel like I'd ruined everything but not in a "oh poor you" kind of way.

Gembutt
13-10-11, 22:54
Yeah Weevil it's so much better to focus on the things you achieve rather than the things you don't and it's great you made it to your appointment and the lessons, shows that you can do it and make it through.
I agree with the citalopram thing, I felt like I should try and get rid of them myself but there are times I feel like trying the medication just so they will go away xx

Joellie
13-10-11, 23:13
Dont get me wrong, citalopram works wonders for me. I know it works and I know its there to take the anxiety away. It litterally does that for me, the things i worry about are delt with completely normally and I just get on with things. But being on them suck! I gain weight on them, they make me want to eat loads and my sex drive goes down on it.

I just want to be able to work through the problems i face, not run to the doctor for citalopram because its easier. Theyve always said to me not to feel like a failure if i have to go back on them, i dont i just dont think ive tried enough yet to go back lol

I need to look into onsite councelling. The problem is though i dont live on campus, nor really near campus so having to commit to a session a week will be hard!

Im feeling a bit better today about the situation as i know from last placement i was able to teach so it just self confidence i think.

Sorry my typing is awful today im just typing quickly so some of its wrong lol

I think i'm going to email my course tutor about the services available as the course im in has changed, you cant take a year out and if you fail because of medical reasons your not given extensions or anything.

WillyB
14-10-11, 23:59
Hi there, Im also in my second year having to look for placement. Like you im getting these feelings like im just not good enough and should just give up now. And even if i do get a job with a degree, will i enjoy it? ive been panicking for weeks now since i started wondering if all this is just a waste of time.

As for the first year people, all i can say is stick with it. My first few weeks to months i was always scared, i was lonely, i just wanted to go home. After a while it picked up though. Stick with it for the first year, and if you're stronger than me you'll carry on !

debbsi
15-10-11, 10:04
Hey
I started uni 2 years ago as a part time occupational therapy student, im half way through now, as its a 4 year course. I was really panicy when i first started as i thought theyd all be younger and cleverer than me (im 39), but i soon got into the swing of things and absolutly love it. Ive had my moments - placements have been good so far but on my last one i was overwelmed with assignments and working long hours and health anxiety, i ended up on beta blockers, which really helped. I took half the dose the doc said and when i had to do a presentation back at uni i didnt feel one bit nervous - i was so proud of myself it proved to me i could stand up in front of people and talk, albeit whilst on meds!
Im not on the meds anymore, and my confidence comes and goes, but it helped to prove to myself that i could do it! :)

Joellie
15-10-11, 11:05
I just always think of the what ifs and the long term problems that surround my worries. But then i think, sometimes if you dont look ahead and think then its reckless not to?

Like if i do finish my degree, do teaching for a few years and not like the responsability for it, i then have ruined my chances at getting the position one lower than teacher. Its common knoweldge around the job that if you have the degree then you wont be accepted as a TA unless the school your in likes that trait, most dont!

I feel alright, i go up and down about the situation, sometimes im scared, sometimes i feel not good enough and sometimes i feel fine. Come monday though, il have it all over again. Seems one lesson sets me off every week and ruins the rest of it!

Groundhog
15-10-11, 13:03
Hi Joellie
I do a job in a secondary school that I am over qualified to do and it has never been an issue at all – quite the opposite in fact.
OK our circumstances are slightly different (age mainly:)). I work as a cover tutor a position that doesn’t require any formal training other than to be educated to a reasonable level i.e GCSE or in my case GCE’s, this despite me having a good qualification in engineering (I used to build racing cars) and a science degree.
The school have offered to put me through the teacher training programme but it is not what I want. They have also offered for me to teach at year seven /eight with just ‘in house training’ – something I am considering. In any event they are aware that when I cover any science lesson or tech lessons I can bring so much to that lesson other than giving out the work and keeping the class under control which is the usual role of a cover tutor.
In short, as I have been told on more than one occasion, the school feels very lucky to have someone like me on hand. Clearly there is a monetary issue here in that I get paid the equivalent of @£12 an hour – a supply teacher gets @ £30-£40 an hour, you don’t say as to whether money is issue with you and I won’t pry.
I must admit before I worked in a school I pre-conceived ideas that couldn’t have been further from the truth . There is an awful lot of teaching done by ‘non-teachers’. For example within our cover team two of the ladies teach hair and beauty, another teaches domestic science (cookery to you and me). There are teachers teaching subjects they have no knowledge of – for instance the chap who teaches motor mechanics at our school is from the resistance material department (metalwork) and really has little knowledge of cars other from having an old car as a hobby yet there I am with twenty five years and a qualification in motorsport covering unrelated subjects the other side of the school.
Also, as you mentioned it directly, two of our TA’s are from abroad and are qualified teachers in their own country but not recognised here so can’t teach, as foreigners they are worth their weight in gold in the language department.
In short my experience in schools tells me that it is one of the odd institutions that positively welcomes over qualification, it boils down to cheap labour.

Joellie
15-10-11, 21:05
Thanks for your input. I know money is rubbish if your a TA comparent to being a teacher but i couldnt do a better paid job if i just didnt enjoy it. Theres no saying i wont im just worrying about it.

Ive heard a few stories from people saying that they did their teaching degree and NQT year, didnt enjoy the role and tried to get a TA job and were turned down either because the schools thought they were too qualified and would get bored or because they didnt want two qualified teachers in one class as it can cause problems. I just wonder if id just leave the qualification off my application and risk it :S lol

Eugh i just really want to be good at the job and like the job as now i have no back up if it all goes wrong.