PDA

View Full Version : Can GP's detect heart arrhythmia's?

carlos2011
13-10-11, 09:23
I know ECG is the ultimate test, but can a doctor get a red flag from listening with a stethoscope?

My anxiety is playing up again regarding my lightheadedness that i've had for months, so I'm worrying I have heart problem now brain issues have been ruled out.

My resting heart rate is between the 50's and 60's, as I run a lot. Basically I worry about damage I may have done to my heart, as a couple of years ago I took some ephedrine for a few months (for exercise, stupid I know). I didn't take it for too long but still I'm worried. Like I said, it was 2 years ago, quite a gap between symptoms I get now.

I'm still stressing, so any advice would be welcome. Should I tell my doctor? It was a long time ago, that I forgot. She says it's anxiety so I'm on Sertraline and going back to see her in 4 weeks.

Thanks

Carl

Bruno58
13-10-11, 12:36
Yes your doctor can identify something amiss in your heart, I has happened to me within the last year.

Doc listens to my upper body with a scope, I didn't say I thought there was something wrong, it was just a general exam as I had a virus earlier, doc tells me she can hear a sound which she is unsure about so I go for an test in the surgery...a murmur is confirmed and an ECG arranged at the local cardiac department...it is discovered I do have something not quite right with one of the heart valves.

Its not serious but could develop (it will get worse apparently) over time, I've not been prescribed any medication for it, I have the reports from the doctor and hospital and I'm not worried about it:wacko: ...Yet!

Your resting heart rate is very good, mine can be almost double that at times!

J.

carlos2011
13-10-11, 15:56
Thank you Bruno for your kind reply, it's made me feel a bit better. I guess general doctors can spot more than you think.

I'm sorry to hear about one of your heart valves, I hope it doesn't turn into something serious (I'm sure it won't). At least they are aware of the problem now which can't be a bad thing. Take it as a good sign you aren't on medication too!

debs71
13-10-11, 16:07
Hi Carlos,

Your heart rate is very good...healthy as it is low, but not too low, doubtless because you are fit with all of your running.

GP's can spot issues with the heart via the stethoscope.

I passed out at work a couple of years ago. My BP was very low so I thought I had better get a check up and my GP listened to my heart with the scope and spotted an arrythmia. I ended up just having an ECG which was fine, though they are only a brief snapshot of the heart, and not comprehensive enough to know if the arrythmias are constant over a period of time. Cardiac monitoring over 24hrs is really the only way to know for sure. I put my probs down to anxiety really.

You mention lightheadness and I am wondering if maybe you have a low BP which is causing that? I regularly have that and I know from the mentioned experience and other times my BP is checked that it tends to run low. If you are very fit with a low resting HR it may well be the case.

It may well be anxiety, but it also might be worth a check of your BP with your doc.

Take care.x:hugs:

carlos2011
13-10-11, 16:19
Thanks Deb's :)

So was your arrythmia nothing to worry about in the end then?

Quite ironic actually, the doctor told me to monitor my blood pressure for the 4 weeks (twice a week), as it's been a little bit up. I think I got white coat syndrome though as it was 160/85, normally it's around 138/70's. She thinks anxiety is lifting it, but because my mom suffers with high blood pressure she wants me to monitor it at home just to be sure. Although she said it wouldn't need medication at that level for my age (29).

So I have a low resting heart rate and pre-high blood pressure, weird huh?!

Yeah I just read about the 24/7 heart monitoring. I think I have to be logical, this lightheadness is always there, but sometimes worse than other times. When the doc listened to my heart I had the symptoms then too, so I assume my heart is ok. It's just my anxiety worrying me about something else as usual!

If i'm honest I would like the doc to do more tests but I've already had clear blood tests and an MRI scan, I never seem to be happy and sure everything is ok!

swgrl09
13-10-11, 16:29
My GP noticed a heart murmur just from listening briefly in a regular exam. She said it was nothing to worry about, an "innocent" murmur, and sometimes people live their whole lives without it bothering them once. I was told it was nothing to worry about.

carlos2011
13-10-11, 17:11
Ok thanks swgrl09, that's interesting to know. I know little about it! I'm a bit less worried now then. It's amazing what doctors can pick up.

Bruno58
13-10-11, 21:32
carlos I'm sure you don't have to worry about a heart problem, as others have said, a resting rate of 50-60 shows you are very fit and healthy, the light head is likley to be anxiety, I have experienced the same many times as I have suffered with depression and anxiety etc over the years and also have high BP, I cannot remember off hand if Sertraline gave me these symptoms or not, I've tried a number of anti-deps so it has become confusing!

Ask your doc to check your blood pressure and I think you will be reassured at the result, remember it can vary quite a lot depending on your mood and reactions to circumstances at the time of the check, as an example mine has varied from 140/70 up to 200+/100.

My head is giving some trouble at the moment..fuzzy and pressure at the side and some dizzy spells but its just the situation I'm in and I don't worry about it, it passes after a while.

I also have to wait up to a month to see the doctor I want as I wont just see anyone, I pick who I see now.

J.

eight days a week
13-10-11, 21:51
I have a very slight arrhythmia that didn't show up on multiple ECGs but did show up (only twice) on 48-hour Holter monitor.

Purely based on that (and with no medical knowledge at all) I would say ask to have it checked out, but if it was a constant it would possibly (probably??) have been picked up on, and so in the short-term there is nothing to worry about. And no need to tell your doc about the ephedrine I'm sure :)

carlos2011
14-10-11, 12:07
Thanks eight days a week. Yeah that is true, my symptoms are pretty much 24/7 and they have checked my heart a few times now so I'm guessing something would have been picked up. I'll mention it to the doc in a few weeks if these tablets don't start to improve things though.

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

Thanks Bruno, yeah I've got a blood pressure monitor and it's all over the place..it's around the 140 mark over early 70's..I think i'm borderline, when the doc checks it, it's always higher..put it down to..anxiety!

Yeah this fuzzy head won't go away for me either, I think we all deserve a break from it!

Bruno58
14-10-11, 12:37
carlos, I don't have my own monitor, I did think about getting one so I asked the doc, he said yes good idea..but...don't check your BP too often...twice in the first week and then only once every 2-3 weeks.

I have the fuzzy head now...:wacko: under stress and sat here looking at the screen, its neccesary for me to be here though, I have to deal with what is around me and try to control the situations which seem to develop without me doing anything!

example..my son started a new business 12 months ago, I have no involvement in this..except by just being 'a dad'...
He is very busy and its going well but the running costs are causing problems with the cash flow...he keeps asking for support which I try my best with, again today he asked for more...:doh:

I have a method of escaping from all this, the coast is only 20 minutes away...I go there when I can for the sea air and some peace and quiet but its not very often.

Try to find something like this for yourself...it might help.

J.

carlos2011
14-10-11, 12:45
Yeah, I think that's the problem with BP monitors, you can get 'addicted' to testing it too often! Thus causing more anxiety. Doc told me to test it twice a week too.

I'm a bit guilty of always being on the phone to my folks too, I guess I'll have all this to come myself when I have kids!

I'm jealous of the coast, sounds great! I usually go out for a walk or a run if I'm not feeling too bad, it does help with the thoughts and stuff.

Cheers for your advice, appreciate it..this forum is definitely helpful.

I hope your fuzzy head clears up soon, might be time for that walk to the coast :)

Bruno58
14-10-11, 23:06
Its good to talk to someone you know well, family yes but I find a good friend is better, they can see more than family who sometimes have a jaundiced view and can't or won't want to see any problems.

On thing I have found, when you go to bed at night try to have something in your mind for the morning which will avoid the morning anxiety...or at least attempt to, if you wake up thinking...its 'xyz' today, (going for an early morning jog or bike ride when no one is up and about...for an example)...and yes I have done that myself but not recently..20+years I think !!!, it can help to make the situation feel better.

Tomorrow I'm am going, or at least try to, the coast for a short visit to an event which is of interest to me, its a kind of show where I can look at and buy products and see examples of a hobby interest I am trying to take part in, I can't walk there as my legs etc won't carry me very far but I'll try to make the best of it!

Try to keep positive..yes...:)

J.

carlos2011
15-10-11, 17:38
Great advice, thanks mate. I've been getting up early and going for a run, it helps a bit.

Hope your weekend is going well and your feeling a bit better today.

Cheers

Carl

Bruno58
15-10-11, 21:16
Hi Carl

Glad you feel a little better, I think you have to add something to the morning run, I know from experience this is a good way to start the day and gets the blood flowing which is important for us all, a decent breakfast is too if you can manage, we all need fuel especialy if you do some extra exercise early in the day, next is to add something else, I know you're on meds but have you considered some kind of thearpy..the doc could suggest something or you could look around for an alternative, the idea is to build on what you are doing now, this is how you can make progress to try and overcome the bad feelings you have now.

Its not easy I know but I think you might find this would take you another step 'up the ladder'...if I can say it that way.

A little bit at a time or as much as you can handle is the way forward, no rush just look up not down, hope this helps:)

J.

P.S. I wasn't sure about adding this but I might as well as you asked!
I want you to have a laugh at this as I had to smile myself..I must be nuts:wacko:

Made it to the coast, easy parking at the venue and just a short visit in the hobby show, only an hour at the most I'm thinking, got my stick and go slow, chap I have never seen before comes up and says, Are you alright? you look absoloutely terrible!..:huh:
come and sit down I'll get you a chair !!!

No I'm ok! just having a look then I'll get a coffee and sit over there for awhile..he still went on so I had a chat about the show etc, he went on his way...! my parting shot was...I'm starting to like the pain! OH!.. he said, didn't see him again after that! I made it home ok..just!

No sympathy needed by the way, its just how I am!

J.