PDA

View Full Version : 30mg citalopram to start and no side effects?

Fordrsrickc
13-10-11, 13:24
I was on 20mg fluoxetine of which I took daily in the morning along with 80mg daily propranolol I took both for 24 days and after 24 days I stopped the fluoxetine as I started sweating under the arms excessively and I also had great relief from my shortness of breath I went to see my doctor and he took me off the fluoxetine and started me on venlafaxine 75mg daily then I had a shock as I started to suffer from erectile dysfunction which I have never encountered along with ejaculation problems difficulty or not at all..
I had enough and I stopped my meds altogether and went three days with no meds and thought I could go cold turkey,How wrong I was,!
Unfortunately my breathing got very bad along with panic attacks galore so I went to the doctor and he kept me on the propranolol and gave me new meds citalopram of 20mg.
Now this is where I'm confused as before I was prescribed the fluoxetine over 3 weeks ago I was prescribed citalopram first by my doctor of 10mg as a starting dose and I took it at night and I had a very bad time from just 10mg I had hot and cold flushes headaches, sickly and sleepy so they scared me and I asked to go on something different so I was given the fluoxetine,.
Now my doctor said maybe I didn't give the citalopram a chance and he said for me to start on 20mg as I already have fluoxetine in my system and I stopped the venlafaxine also as I couldn't put the erectile dysfunction down to either the fluoxetine or the venlafaxine. Everything is working fine now after my 3 day of no meds albeit ejaculation problems which is common,.
I had 20mg of citalopram and didn't feel a thing like it didn't do anything no side effects whatsoever so I decided I could go on 30mg with the ok from my doctor and I still don't feel a thing not a single side effect as if they are not doing a thing,. Could the fluoxetine that may be in my system be stopping them from working and why is my shortness of breath still bad after 4 days in on 30mg it's strange how I had 10mg 3 weeks ago and felt rubbish and now 30mg isn't even touching me. I'm thinking do I go to 40mg? Help please I'm at a loss and sorry if the post is wordy and thanks for taking the time to read it and a big hello from a newbie

william wallace
13-10-11, 17:25
There will be chemicals in the Fluoxetene that are the same as the ones in the Citalopram as they are both SSRI so you have already partly acclimatised yourself.
It's taken me almost 7 weeks to get up to 40 of Cit so try not to run before you can walk.
Be careful, that Citalopram is strong meds and might turn around and bite you in the arse:)

Fordrsrickc
14-10-11, 16:42
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and replying appreciate the advice

william wallace
14-10-11, 16:55
No bother Richard. Just for the record, I'm pretty sure that Citalopram and other SSRI's are sometimes used to treat premature ejaculation. This might account for the sexual dysfunction you were experiencing. I can assure you that it levels out after a while.
All the best WW:)