PDA

View Full Version : New here, any help wud be great

tinkerbell19761
14-10-11, 12:21
Hi all,

I found this site and everyones replies seem so lovely that I'm hoping that I can find some help.

I am suffering from panic attacks again after being pretty much free of them for six months. I have IBS which causes panic atacks but then the panic makes the IBS worse. I feel like I'm caught in a vicious circle that I'm unable to break.

I find the panic attacks all consuming, like I'm stuck in a black hole somehow. I just want to run away and hide somewhere when it happens.

I resigned from my job in April this year because it was making me ill (this was when the IBS started) and I had had four months off sick. I suffered from major depression, anxiety and stress. I was lucky enough that we were in a financial position that we could do this. This is no longer the case. My husband has had his hours cut and we are desperately short of money. I have tried to get a job but because of the time I had off with depression and because I I worked in a Bank for fifteen years and I have been told I have no transferrable skills, I am always unsuccessful.We can't afford for me to retrain. At the moment I don't feel well enough to work anyway because of the panic attacks and the IBS.

I don't know what to do to control the panic and I feel the depression creeping back as it was last year. I don't want to go on medication because of my IBS (I can't even take a painkiller without it upsetting my tum) and I've had counselling and it just didn't work for me.

I just wondered what other people did to try and control the attacks when they start so they don't get to the point where I feel like the world is collapsing around me while i'm in the middle of the supermarket or at my daughters dance class.

I have tried to talk to my friends but they don't understand. They are all very happy and successful in what they do - one is a head teacher, one is a university lecturer and one is a solicitor so I feel totally inadequate compared to them!

Thank you in anticipation of any advice that you can offer me

Gembutt
14-10-11, 17:07
Hiya tinkerbell, I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling so bad! I have had panic attacks for over 5 years now and there are times when I just want to curl up in bed forever and forget about everything!

Have you tried gentle exercise? When I went to the gym I never thought about panic attacks at all! You could try a sport like badminton? Or try yoga?

It must be awful not being able to work now when you have for so long so you should definitely try and find a hobby to keep your mind active and to get you out a little bit more.
I also refused to take the medication because they prescribed me citalopram at the age of 15 and I felt too young to be on such medication. I tried counselling and it worked for me at the time but it didn't last forever.
I have to overcome them myself.. xx