PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram - Dont know whether these drugs are suitable

NikkiNooNoo
14-10-11, 19:28
Hi all

I've been to see a doc today and he's prescribe Citalopram. I've read this doesn't treat gad or anxiety so I don't know y he's said to take them. Is anyone else on these for anxiety? Think I might get a second opinion.

sarahlou1983
14-10-11, 19:36
yes im on for them for both depression and anxiety... they treat both...... they take a couple of weeks to kick in but they will help

Jmac
14-10-11, 19:51
Absolutely citalopram works well for GAD and PA. Where'd you hear that it doesn't?

NikkiNooNoo
14-10-11, 19:56
Absolutely citalopram works well for GAD and PA. Where'd you hear that it doesn't?

I read it on a info web page .....I'm nervous cos i took sertaline for just over a year and came off it about 6 wks ago. My anxiety has hit me hard now but i had very bad side effects when I started taking sertaline and I'm scared if i take these new tablets I'll suffer the same.

sarahlou1983
14-10-11, 20:03
how much are you taking?????? you may feel a little bit sick and have slightley increased anxiety,but it will pass.....everyone is different

NikkiNooNoo
14-10-11, 20:07
Haven't taken any yet. I only got the prescription late today. He's given me 20mg to start with with. I was only on 10mg with the sertaline and had to take half a tablet every other day cos i had such a extreme reaction. It lasted a week then i had to have a month off work and i can't afford to have any time off now. I'm just very worried

Jmac
14-10-11, 20:12
If you can, start low on the citalopram. I started very low on my cipralex and was able to reduce the severity of side effects at the start which really helped to keep me going. Now, after 2.5 months of slowly upping the dosage with my doc's consent, I'm at the usual full therapeutic dosage and feeling so much better than before starting the meds. They really do work if you give them time and stick it out through any potential beginning discomfort.

NikkiNooNoo
14-10-11, 20:14
If you can, start low on the citalopram. I started very low on my cipralex and was able to reduce the severity of side effects at the start which really helped to keep me going. Now, after 2.5 months of slowly upping the dosage with my doc's consent, I'm at the usual full therapeutic dosage and feeling so much better than before starting the meds. They really do work if you give them time and stick it out through any potential beginning discomfort.

So wud 10mg every day or every other day be ok?

Jmac
14-10-11, 20:21
that's a discussion for your doctor or pharmacist. I started with 2.5 mg of cipralex every day for 1 week and then 2 weeks at 5mg every day, then 2 weeks at 7.5 mg everday and now 10mg everyday. Apparently Cipralex dosing is half that of Citalopram so for my 10mg top dose, Citalopram would be 20 mg.

Talk to your doc about starting at a lower dose. Lots of people do it with good results.

NikkiNooNoo
14-10-11, 20:28
that's a discussion for your doctor or pharmacist. I started with 2.5 mg of cipralex every day for 1 week and then 2 weeks at 5mg every day, then 2 weeks at 7.5 mg everday and now 10mg everyday. Apparently Cipralex dosing is half that of Citalopram so for my 10mg top dose, Citalopram would be 20 mg.

Talk to your doc about starting at a lower dose. Lots of people do it with good results.

I tried speaking to the doc today and I explained I think starting on a lower dose wud b better but he just looked at me, smiled and said there was no point starting on a lower dose as it wud just drag the side effects out and wud take longer to work. I felt this wasn't great advice. Hence the reason I may go back for a second opinion before taking them.

Glitterbugs
14-10-11, 21:06
I started taking Citalopram recently and was prescirbed 20mg. I took one dose and felt terrible...loads of side effects. After discussion with the Dr, I tried 10mg and although I did feel a bit anxious and unsettled for a week, it settled.

Yesterday (after 3 weeks or so of 10mg) I went up to 20mg and although the anxiety is back, it feels like the first week of 10mg did and nothing like that horrible first dose that left me hot, cold, achey and some!

So I say, take it slowly, increase slowly and give it time. Good Luck. x

nicola1980
14-10-11, 21:39
Hi my doc advised me to start on 10mg a day in the morning for a week then up to 20mg, starting on 20 can sometimes be too much for some people, good luck
Nicola xx

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

forgot to say ive just upped to 30mg today after 2 and half weeks on 20!! xx

NikkiNooNoo
14-10-11, 22:07
Sorry for all the questions but do u find the pills really help? I explained to the doc then i feel worried all the time, I have the constant need to plan everything and wen the plan changes due to things out of my control I freak out. I'm gettin flutters in my chest and like i can really feel my heart beating for no reason. I get freaked out walking down the street like ppl r watching me and i feel very aware of myself. I get anxious over things like meeting up with friends. I work with dogs and I've found myself feeling nervous and anxious around them too. All this went away when i was on my pills for depression but I'm not depressed any more, its just the anxiety.

So as I have 20mg dosage its probably worth taking half a pill every day for a couple of weeks.

nicola1980
15-10-11, 06:50
Hi ive found citalopram really fantastic in the past when ive took it and like u i dont suffer depression just anxiety/panics, its still early days for me on it again (4 wks) but have noticed a difference, remember no med is immediate and u need to find the correct dose 4 u, take 10mg for a wk and c how u go but please don't be afraid if it heightens ur anxiety for a while as this is normal, let us know how u get on.
Nicola xx

william wallace
15-10-11, 08:51
I've been taking Citalopram for seven weeks now to treat both D&A. Started off with 20 mg for four weeks, then upped it to 30 for the next two and a half weeks. Cant say that it was having much of an effect until I upped it again on Tuesday to 40mg. What a difference!! Have'nt had anx for 3 days, and that horrible hopeless feeling is only happening for a few minutes here and there. Another few days and that could be gone as well. What I'm trying to say, Nikkinoonoo, is that Citalopram is a good antidepressant/anti anxiety med. Start low and build up the dose over a number of weeks, and hopefully you should start to feel better.
All the best WW:hugs:

bobcat
15-10-11, 09:07
Hello

My gp started me on 20mg 10 days ago the side effects have staerted to be come less and less and today I just feel a bit tired...

i did'nt know there was a smaller dose until i came on here did'nt really research it just took it my gp seemed vey confident these were the best way forward along with CBT therapy..

The ist 4 days were interesting increased anxiety but i'm signed of from work so waited it out ...it's now not so bad had headaches waking up early and not being able to get back to sleep and feeling sick and general anxiety symptons but all getting better...

we're all different and it's really good coming on here and sharing your exsperiances.

i don't think at the moment i would drop to 10mg as im starting to feel comfortable on the 20mg..

xx

NikkiNooNoo
15-10-11, 09:58
Thanks for all ur replies, they r really helpful and reassuring. I'm glad to know that he's prescribe the type of drug for me. I am not seeing a therapist along side this drug. I saw one for over a year before during and after my depression and feel like all the issues I had have been sorted. I'm a lot happier in myself. I think I've suffered with anxiety when i was younger but never realise how bad it was till I went on my anti deps and came off them, the difference is amazing. I hate the feeling of know that how I feel is irrational but can't seem to do sod all about it.

Sadly I can't have any time off work, can't afford too and my job means I do a lot of driving so am concerned about that. I'm gonna go get my pills today and see how i go. I'll take my first one tomorrow mornin and see how that goes on a 20mg dose.

william wallace
15-10-11, 10:21
Just a thought Nikki, if you are doing a lot of driving during the day, as I do. I take mine in the evening so it's often a good 12 hours before I have to drive, by which time most of the effects have worn off. It's your choice of course, some folks take it in the morning, some later in the day.
I take mine at about 7pm, and if I'm a bit edgy before bed I have a wee dram:D

NikkiNooNoo
15-10-11, 11:28
The only reason I took my last set of pills in the mornin was because i cudnt sleep if I took it before bed. Tho I know its a different pill so may effect my differently. But yeah certainly worth a go to see.

Glitterbugs
15-10-11, 11:38
I take mine in the morning and my side effects seem worse from lunchtime onwards. Day three of 20mg today and feeling very negative and anxious and driving BF nuts!

Keep telling myself first week or so on 10mg was like this and it will pass but have an impending doom feeling. Lovely!

Hope you all coping OK today and nice to know I am not alone and this is 'normal'. xxx

bobcat
15-10-11, 11:53
Hello

i've been takin mine at 10am everyday yesterday I was tired all day did'nt have a nap just kept busy went to bed at 9 and woke at 4am which is the longest I have slept while being on them.

today not as tired got the butterflies in stomach feeling don't know why but i can live with that.

Your find a time that suits you I took mine today at 8am to see how that goes..

As for work I had to get signed of, the last 4 months I had got really anxious at work to the point where i wasn't even lasting whole days leaving early or someone having to drive me home ,and having panic attacks too my weight had dropped and everyone around me was starting to get concerned and it got to a point where I had to do something about it.
I can't really afford to be of work signed of for next week then back the following Monday...being treated for depression as well, but this is becuse the anxiety has got me down.

Just looking forward to being normal again :) xx

bobcat
16-10-11, 17:28
Hi Guys

How are you all doing today?..

Took my day 11 at 5.30 this morning felt tired all day and eyes feel a little sore..but apart that feel ok xx:)

NikkiNooNoo
16-10-11, 18:53
Hi Guys

How are you all doing today?..

Took my day 11 at 5.30 this morning felt tired all day and eyes feel a little sore..but apart that feel ok xx:)

Hey

I've taken it for the first time about 10 mins ago. I split the 20mg dose in half so taken 10mg. I'm tryin to keep busy and not let my mind play tricks . The lady in boots suggested I take it after food which I've just done. Let's see how I go....positive thoughts!

nicola1980
16-10-11, 19:14
Its always scarey the first u take...........if ur anything like me you'll be looking for the side effects!! just try and relax and do something to take ur mind off it and remember if u do get side effects THATS all it is side effects and they will pass. good luck :hugs: xx

NikkiNooNoo
16-10-11, 19:52
Here we go...shaking, hot sweats, dry mouth, feeling very anxious. Feel spaced out, almost stoned

nicola1980
16-10-11, 19:55
ride it out hun, its so hard i know exactly what ur going thro but it will pass i promise u, thinking of u xxx

william wallace
16-10-11, 20:09
Here we go...shaking, hot sweats, dry mouth, feeling very anxious. Feel spaced out, almost stoned

Some folks pay lots of money to feel that way so think yourself lucky.
Seriously though, it will pass, feel better soon:)

bobcat
17-10-11, 07:23
Hello

It will pass soon...hang in there....xx

NikkiNooNoo
17-10-11, 08:11
Well it did pass all but the feeling of extreme anxiety. I did however wake up at 1am with the overwhelming urge to stab myself in the chest. I was convinced I had like a bag or an air pocket i need to burst and that wud get rid of the funny light feeling in my chest. I managed to get back to sleep and I've just woken up now x

Glitterbugs
17-10-11, 08:48
Hey all...how are you all doing today? NikkiNooNoo - sorry you have had a rough ride. Feeling any better ? Hope so.

I had a rough start yesterday - it was day 4 of increasing to 20mg and I spent the morning feeling anxious, tearful and insecure. By evening it had passed and I felt more relaxed and positive.

This is such a rollercoaster of emotions. I know it's the increased Citalopram that is making me feel like this as I had exactly the same when I first started taking it but even knowing this doesn't stop me from feeling all these feeling in a very real sense. :(

xxx

bobcat
17-10-11, 09:17
Good morning

I woke up feeling a bit sick, stiill have sore eyesxx

NikkiNooNoo
17-10-11, 09:45
I'm just about to head to work but I'm struggling. Upset stomach, feel anxious and on edge. Can't keep my leg still. Trying to keep going but its hard and tiring.

emmi
17-10-11, 10:45
you are doing great luv i can't even go out of the house yet x

NikkiNooNoo
17-10-11, 20:14
Just taken my second pill.....let's see what happens. I've had tea so hopefully the food with help. Just hope I sleep ok......day two, pill two - let the fun begin ....

Glitterbugs
17-10-11, 21:30
Sleep well. Day five of increase to 20mg for me today (after about 3 weeks on 10mg) and much, much better this afternoon. I think I had a rough 7 or 8 days when I first started then things were manageable. Symptoms I got at first came back when I increased.

Really, really hope you have a good nights sleep....stick with it and keep your eyes on the prize! ;) It's going to be so worth it and you are not alone. x x x

(p.s. Have you read the Citalopram survival guide on here? It i fantastic and so helpful. x)

emmi
17-10-11, 22:20
hey hun day 3 for me feeling better already and not got as many side effects now hope it lasts lol x

NikkiNooNoo
17-10-11, 22:38
Sleep well. Day five of increase to 20mg for me today (after about 3 weeks on 10mg) and much, much better this afternoon. I think I had a rough 7 or 8 days when I first started then things were manageable. Symptoms I got at first came back when I increased.

Really, really hope you have a good nights sleep....stick with it and keep your eyes on the prize! ;) It's going to be so worth it and you are not alone. x x x

(p.s. Have you read the Citalopram survival guide on here? It i fantastic and so helpful. x)

No I haven't, will see if I can find it and have a read.

You guys have been brilliant. thank u so much for the replies and support x

bobcat
18-10-11, 07:38
good Morning

day 13 woke up at 4am again could'nt go back to sleep had some retching and feel more awake than I did yesterday...

how you guys feeling this morning? xx

emmi
18-10-11, 07:47
day 4 feel sick and close to retching also can't eat properly anyone else have this x

bobcat
18-10-11, 07:57
Hi Emmi

Yes I had this day 4 sounds about right day 7 things began to ease for me what dosage you on? xx

Glitterbugs
18-10-11, 07:57
I feel OK today. I hope I am getting there! I know it can be a rollercoaster though so see what they day brings! Trying to stay positive :0)
I couldn't eat when I first started taking it. i got some Complan sachets from the chemist and mixed them with milk to make a delicious milkshake with everything you need in it :) I think they got me through the first week as my appetite was zilch and I felt sick too.
Let me know how you all get on today. x

bobcat
18-10-11, 09:59
I feel OK today. I hope I am getting there! I know it can be a rollercoaster though so see what they day brings! Trying to stay positive :0)
I couldn't eat when I first started taking it. i got some Complan sachets from the chemist and mixed them with milk to make a delicious milkshake with everything you need in it :) I think they got me through the first week as my appetite was zilch and I felt sick too.
Let me know how you all get on today. x

Thats good ..

i've been for a 10 min walk ist time out of house on my own for 2 weeks xx

NikkiNooNoo
18-10-11, 11:37
Thats good ..

i've been for a 10 min walk ist time out of house on my own for 2 weeks xx

Well done hun, that's a huge achievement :) big hugs. I ok today. can't shift the odd feeling in my chest. And I had a dream like ten mins whilst walking a dog. Kinda floaty and spaced out. just tried to walk faster and concentrate on gettin the dog back. It's seems to have passed now but feel tired and i just wanna eat.

X

bobcat
18-10-11, 11:59
Well done hun, that's a huge achievement :) big hugs. I ok today. can't shift the odd feeling in my chest. And I had a dream like ten mins whilst walking a dog. Kinda floaty and spaced out. just tried to walk faster and concentrate on gettin the dog back. It's seems to have passed now but feel tired and i just wanna eat.

X thank u xx

it's good you want to eat, floaty and spaced out feeling is a side effect and it quickly passes well done for coping while out..:)

i get a tightness in my chest which is a bit of anxiety has got better xx

emmi
18-10-11, 12:09
hi luv i am on 20 mg of citalopram and 30 mg of mirtazapine been on mert for 2 years doctor said this combination works well together just feel as though i am gonna be sick when eating x

bobcat
18-10-11, 12:22
Hello

I'm on 20mg too, had the feeling of wanting to be sick too when eating but eventually passed.

My gp has given me a course at thes moment of 28 tablets i guess. to see how i xcope with the dose.

my side effects seem to be getting less and less now feel sick ist thing and been having sore eyes but no other symptons the heighted anxiety i got has calmed down too xx

I'm of work at the moment so been able to cope better being at home xx

Glitterbugs
18-10-11, 13:59
Arghh. I spoke too soon. Horrible Anxiety and negativity back this afternoon. This is starting to wear me out :( xxx

bobcat
18-10-11, 14:33
oooh hope you feel better soon big hugs xx:)

NikkiNooNoo
18-10-11, 14:53
Arghh. I spoke too soon. Horrible Anxiety and negativity back this afternoon. This is starting to wear me out :( xxx

It'll wear off Hun...just gotta keep going. I'm home now and finished wrk for the day and i feel exhausted. Gonna have some food and think ill probably fall asleep. I've found today that I keep hearing things ....kinda sounds like a door bell....even wen I'm in the middle of a field I cud hear it :(

bobcat
18-10-11, 15:39
It'll wear off Hun...just gotta keep going. I'm home now and finished wrk for the day and i feel exhausted. Gonna have some food and think ill probably fall asleep. I've found today that I keep hearing things ....kinda sounds like a door bell....even wen I'm in the middle of a field I cud hear it :(

Thats sounds good food in you and a nap xx:)

emmi
18-10-11, 21:06
hey guys i feel great today still got the sickness been out all day just hoping can stay like this now x

Glitterbugs
18-10-11, 21:41
Hope you all have a good nights sleep...feeling better! So tired so in bed now. xxx

bobcat
19-10-11, 08:59
Hi guys

glad your feeling better xx have a good day xx

hazy
19-10-11, 09:24
I have been on Citalopram for a few years now and they were prescribed for anxiety, just beware that when you start them you symptoms will possibly be horrendous. I thought I was going to die it was awful with every symptom bein timesed by 50. It soon wears off, stick with it though they have helped me 100%.

bobcat
19-10-11, 09:56
Hi Hazy

Thats great to hear I'm on day 14 and side sffects are easing each day

xx

Glitterbugs
19-10-11, 14:12
Hi there,

Thanks and glad they helped you. It is very good to hear as the last few weeks have been very difficult!!!

xxx

bobcat
20-10-11, 07:31
Good Morning

Day 15 and no side effects so far ...

How you guys feeling today? xx

emmi
20-10-11, 07:52
day 6 i think lol still feel sick keep getting burning sensations in my head arms and shoulders feels like i have a knot in my chest thought i was making good progress but suffering more now than i did when i first took them :weep: x

NikkiNooNoo
20-10-11, 08:29
Hey guys

Had a bad night sadly. Taken my 4th now. Woke up around 4am with my mind racing, feeling sick and dizzy and my stomach hurt. Finally.got back to sleep at 6am but its gonna b a long day. I still have the uncomfortable feeling my chest and I keep gettin pins and needles in the back on my head oddly enuf. Last night in bed I had two what i can only describe as like shocks in my body?? Anyone else get those??

Nik x

bobcat
20-10-11, 11:51
Hi Guys

Sorry to hear that, i started of today ok but got quite anxious for no reason heart racing pacing around all calmed now.. i guess it'a blip xx

NikkiNooNoo
20-10-11, 12:10
I'm just worried that I'm gettin side effects at only 10mg....I'm scared to up it to the full 20mg

Sooty
20-10-11, 12:13
hi guys,

Day 3 for me and not feeling good at all.. please tell me it will get better! :weep:

Glitterbugs
20-10-11, 12:24
Hey - I got side effects from 10mg that did settle. I went to 20 after 3 weeks and again got similar side effects to when I started and they seem to be settling now (a week in).

Give it time.

Day 3 is hard and I promise things will get better. I think if you start to take these things you have to accept that they will make you feel worse before you feel better (sadly). I had some very anxious and difficult times to begin with plus some physical side effects. Hang in there....it will get better and it will help in the long run.

My side effects are slowly getting better after 3 weeks of 10mg and a week of 20mg but still no improvement on my mood/anxiety so looking forward to that :) xxx

fizzle90
20-10-11, 12:40
I am taking 10mg of Citalopram and have been for the last 6 months. I've found that after getting over the initial side effects they have helped with my anxiety - however not with depression. In fact they have heightened my depression. Lately I've been feeling really anxious but scared to up the dose.

Glitterbugs
20-10-11, 12:44
My problem is anxiety rather than depression and I know Citalopram is given at 10mg for anxiety. I discussed it with my GP last week and she said that 10mg is not really considered a therapeutic dose and to try upping to 20mg and see how I got on.

Did that a week ago and have had similar side effects to when I first started on the 10mg but they are really settling now....I am just waiting for them to work properly but I know this can take up to a couple of months so time yet :) xxx

scrog80
20-10-11, 13:04
it is hard to get a straight answer on any meds as they all act differently on diferent people on the citalopram i had a lot of sickness feeling but was never sick im about a month in to them and seams to be letting off a bit but i will say i have lost my appetite

bobcat
20-10-11, 14:01
Hi

had a snooze and the anxiety has settled had been feeling ok the last 3 days grrrr
but will be patient i'll give it another 10 days b4 i see the dr whether i need to lower or increase the doze xx

emmi
20-10-11, 14:08
i felt ok this morning feel a little anxious and dizzy this afternoon also feels like my chest is burning like acid and i still have no appetite and still got the shakes x

bobcat
20-10-11, 14:33
i felt ok this morning feel a little anxious and dizzy this afternoon also feels like my chest is burning like acid and i still have no appetite and still got the shakes x

My appletite has slowly improved but not eating as much as i used to i have toast in the morning and take my meds with that lunchtime nothing just dont feel hungry teatime i'll have dinner but not finsh it xx

bobcattake2
23-12-11, 08:07
hi Guys

Im back had to re registrar hows everyone doing?

Julie was Bobcat xxxx