View Full Version : Link between taking Citolopram & IBS?

Tillieg
15-10-11, 22:13
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if any of you that take Citolopram or Propapanol tablets for anxiety/depression have noticed an increase in IBS symptoms? :shrug: The reason I ask is a few years back I took Propapanol for anxiety and around Tge same time I started having IBS symptoms, these symptoms eased greatly when I stopped using these tablets :winks:

Now almost ten years later, Ive started taking Citolopram & Proprapanol and my IBS is back & is unbearable at times :weep:

The thing is these tablets have really helped relieve my depression/anxiety but I'm starting to think they are linked to the IBS, any thoughts? :wacko:

bobcat
16-10-11, 17:34
Hello

Thats interesting my ibs has eased since starting citalopram last week, I take the same beta blocker if i get palpitations xx I'm being treated for A andD too..

patricias
16-10-11, 18:13
hi, i am 59 years old, i have had IBS since i was late teens. i have been on citolopram for 10 years so i cant see a connection. do you think weight gain could be due to citalopram or am i just clutching at straws?

Tillieg
16-10-11, 20:42
Thankyou for the replies:) good to know I'm not alone:winks:

Talking of weight gain, I have put on over a stone weight but connected that to having twins & just not getting back to my normal size, I wouldn't have thought to connect weight gain with Citolopram but that actually makes sense, & with weight gain obviously comes IBS symptoms:blush: im not sure if I'm entirely ready to come off my medication but am working towards that, so hopefully see an improvement in the not too distant future:yesyes:

Once again, thanks for replies, much appreciated :D

LowrieT
16-10-11, 22:41
I have had IBS 45 years at varying degrees of severity. I was recently checked out again and saw the Gastroenterologist who diagnosed me with Severe IBS and his treatment was Citalopram. I do not like taking tablets and have not taken this drug. It seems to be the 'new' treatment for IBS.

bobcat
17-10-11, 12:03
Hello

Just spoken to my GP and she says if my ibs is easing it's a sign the citalopram is working xx

Greenman50
17-10-11, 23:08
Citralapram has done nothing for my ibs , its no worse or no better .

Weight gain.....Hmm....i,m convinced cit makes you gain weight .

I,m well over 6 feet , now just under 17 st .....January this year i was 14 stone but i was bad with anxiety and depression / stomach problems .
It was a low weight for me but i,m surprised how quick i gained weight .

I,ve lost weight each week for the last month by more exercise and eating better so i will get back down in weight again .