PDA

View Full Version : My toptastic Easter break!!! (Not)

Lottie32
17-04-04, 19:42
Thought I would share my easter holiday with you, particularly cos I know Nic loves laughing at my downfalls (LOL), but when I really weight it up, it's no wonder I suffer from anxiety and panic, and am off my rocker most of the time.

Thursday - break up 5 long days to chill and relax - hurrah!!

Friday - lovely morning.Up early, mucked out the horses, quick shower, and down to my best friends to help her in her salon, as Sarah was on holiday. Nice afternoon, and got my hair coloured for free as a thank you. Quick trip to Safeway for some tea, home for another shower, and down to the pub to work. (Bit of a wobble first, as realised that as the landlord and landlady were hosting their own engagement party, I would be working with the strange new woman and not little Dave) Obviously she isn't actually strange, but a stranger to me.

Anyway, once I was there, and apart from not finishing till 1.30, everything was fine.

Saturday - up early, gym for an hour, mucked out the horses, then quick shower before I met Nic in the pub for a brew. She was dropping in on her way from Bristol to Harrogate where she was spending the weekend with her friend. When we got to the pub, we discovered that our pub team was playing at home against Stonebroom - the local grudge derby. So we decided to go up, and watch till half time, then disappear our separate ways - I'd got to buy food, cos mum was away again.

Well it was really gripping - so gripping in fact we decided to see it out till the bitter end. Until .... a little girl came over and asked for a blanket and a bandage as somebody had hurt themselves. I was too engrosed in the game to even notice, but Jan went to look and came back and told me it was a real proper medical emergency!!! (I'm a first aider at work - nothing special).

So I ran to the car, got my first aid kit, and climed over the gate to the swings. A little lad had fallen off the monkey bars and some dodgy bloke, obviously a labour voter, was trying to put a bandage around this kids arm. (He was wearing rimless glasses and had a goatee - and nobody with ginga hair should be allowed to grow a goatee - sorry all you ginger headed people out there). Anyway, the kid was crying and shouting no so I asked if he'd called an ambulance. He said no - he was trying to bandage the arm first. I've only got a basic 4 day certificate, but this kids arm was sticking out at right angles to his body, and even a blind man in a sandstorm could see it was broken.

So I got all bossy, shouted at the hoards of kids to go away and phoned 999 (I've never had to do that before). Then I got into an argument with the operator who wanted to know my mobile number. How do I know - I never phone myself!!!! I then asked one of the kids to go to the end of the road so the crew knew where to go, and of course they all wanted to do it, so hurrah, no more kids. Jan went and got a blanket and some coats out of my car, and we wrapped him up and stuck his legs in the air.

When the paramedics came, we had to give him gas and air in order to get him on a stretcher to carry him out of the play area, as somebody on the parish council had lost the keys, and the gates were padlocked (this apparently, led to a three hour discussion at the parish council meeting - it's all go where I live I tell you)

By the time everything was sorted, it was too late to go shopping, and I ended up with a scrappy tea cunningly conjured up using some sprouting potatoes and green furry cheese!

After a few pints in the local, I went home for an early night in order to be fresh for Sunday, when I was doing a few hours behind the bar in my friends pub.

Sunday - up early to do the horses. At 11.20 I got a call from little Dave at the pub - could I get there asap as Lorraine (his fiance) had to go to hospital. As he sounded so calm, and she does all the cooking, I just naively presumed that she had cut her finger and needed a few stitches. (Yesterdays fiasco should have given me a hint really).

I got there at ten to twelve, with attractive wet hair (which goes fri

nomorepanic
17-04-04, 20:12
Hi Charlie :)

Thanks as always for a great post and for cheering me up again. You are still the best cure for anxiety there is. Just read your posts and I am in hysterics!

Sounds like you had a lot of things going on and that would test the best of us - so well done you for coping so well.[:p] I have never had to call 999 either!

I had an equaly hectic easter and like you I was shattered at the end of it.

We had the kitchen floor tiled at last !!! Wow, we only replaced the kitchen last year.

We had to offer to help the tiler do the floor as he has now given it up cos his partner jacked it in so we agreed if he did it we would help him.

I was off from Thursday till Tuesday and it was non-stop from the first day.

Thursday we were having a new carpet put in my bedroom so after that was done I had to start putting all the furniture back in again!! aggghhh what a boring job. Book shelves full of stuff needed sorting.

We then had to move everything out the kitchen - dishwasher, washing machine, fridge freezer and everything we would need for 2 days cos we wouldn't be able to go in there!

We were also putting underfloor heating in which Alex and I had to lay and that was hard work!!. Has to be laid out at a certain distance apart or it will short circuit. We laid half of it on the Thursday night before realising we had too much left over so had to take it all up and start again. We finished it at 10 pm that night.

The tiler turns up on Friday at 8.45 and starts the job. He is moaning constantly about having to tile over the underfloor heating cos it means putting more adhesive on!

As we were the apprentices it was hard work all day. I was on constant tea duty and cleaning up duties and Alex was learning how to take orders from someone that earns about a 100th of what he does!! (he is a boss at work so doesn't take orders - lol)

Anyway manual labour is hard work so we were shattered Friday night, then at 8.30 Saturday the door-bell goes - oh the tiler is back.

Another day of hard manual labour. As soon as Alex and I left him alone for 5 mins, we heard this cry of "Alex/Nic are you there"? :(

Sunday - got a lay in till 11am - god I was shattered :( Tiler turns up to do some other stuff and finish off and then Alex and I spent the rest of the day putting the kitchen back together. That took hours and we had to clean the new floor (ceramic tiles) with some special stuff to seal it.

I was falling asleep by 9pm.

Monday - oh a lay in I though - till my mum comes at 11am. No chance :( Work page me at 8.40am for something stupid. They were trying to page someone else and they weren't answering their pager so they called me to ask what to do!!!!!!

Mum comes and we have some lunch at local pub and go shopping. Spent rest of day still cleaning up all the dust in the house!

Tuesday - a lay in at last till 1pm!! Then got up and did the front garden - first time this year so it was a real mess. Early night for a change.

Back to work on Wednesday for a rest!!:)

So seems that I had as quiet an Easter as you - lol

Thanks for cheering me up Charlie (as always)

xxx

Nicola

Lottie32
17-04-04, 20:25
Oh babe - a good try, but I still think I've got the edge on shi** breaks!!!!!!

Are you some sort of tile obsessive compulsive???? You had time off recently to tile the kitchen. Did you not like them? Did you do an inferior job and did they not stick? Or have a completely lost it, and was it infact somebody else?

Lets do a swap next holiday. I'm sure I could think of some suitable reply to the pager request (although you may not have a job when you came back) - and you might have to take Alex with you as I don't do bossy men.

But tiling I can cope with - what's next - the bathroom at Whitsun?

I've just remembered that I lied in that last post - I did call 999 once before - it was at Xmas, and I was at work, and a driver came in after spilling formic acid over himself - at another factory!

I phoned for an ambulance, and had a hell of a job trying to persuade them to come - it was Xmas, and our company name is Rudolf.

Put your feet up and have chill this weekend - only two more weeks then we get another long weekend (oh no)

Love x

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

nomorepanic
17-04-04, 21:28
Oh Charlie

You win every time mate!!

Last time we were tiling the walls - lol. This time was the floor.

Want to to take a look - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/kitchen.htm You can't seen the floor on there but you can see the walls - lol.

Oh you would love being called at all hours for something that aint my problem!!! I do get a bit angry with them!

I seem to have slept so far this weekend - fell asleep on the bed for 3 hours - perhaps I needed it!

Can I get you to come and do the rest of the decorating!!

Nicola

benoo5
18-04-04, 21:51
oh,charlie,i didnt realise,just how much i have missed reading your posts,until i saw this one lol.

if you ever feel like writing a book,let me know,and i will introduce you to a friend of mine...i wont drop names,but she wrote..the woman in black..the stage production,is still running,after twenty years!

speak to you soon...bryan xxx.

Lottie32
22-04-04, 20:24
Bryan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooh you've made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how we've missed you (infact, me and Lucky have e-mailed each other today to say just this!!!!!!!)

Hope you're well, enjoying Skeggie, and planning a date at Megs

See you soon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

benoo5
25-04-04, 22:27
hi charlie,

thanks for the kind words,life with me isnt too good at the moment,this is the first time ive moved as a single person,and ime finding the whole experience,very lonely....ime staying in london,with my daughter,whilst working,and only going to lincoln,for a couple of days,here and there!

anyhow,reading your post cheered me up,as usual,so i will have to get back to NMP,as often as my girls allow...take care my friend...bryan xxx.

nomorepanic
25-04-04, 22:55
Bryan

Why did u move to Lincoln ? Are you gonna be ok up there alone? Do you have a job sorted?

xx

Nicola

benoo5
27-04-04, 00:30
hi nic,i moved to lincoln,cos after my divorce,i couldnt afford to stay in london...unfortunately,there are no vacancies for paramedics,so ime still working in london,and staying with my daughter,i just feel at the moment that my life is in a mess,and i cant see that light at the end of the tunnel...but theres always the lottery,and i feel lucky this week...dont forget..no more panic island..

catch you soon.....bryan.

nomorepanic
27-04-04, 21:31
Bryan

Lincoln was a bit drastic wasn't it? Surely you are paying more in travelling and leaving an empty house all week.

I told you to move to Potton - on the mainline to London too.

Will you be able to get a job up there one day?

Nicola

benoo5
27-04-04, 22:59
hi nicola,well there was meaning to my madness...friends of mine own the seafront fairground at skeggie..so far..so good!

the day after we exchanged contracts,i received a phone call from my pal to say,he and his wife had split up,after over 20yrs of marriage,they decided to go there own way,leaving the fairground to there son to run.

jobwise,ive been told,that i can get a job nursing,until they have a vacancy for a paramedic.

on top of that i failed one of my exam papers by just 2points,i retook it yesterday....emailing meg to check up on my answers...they were written in such a way as to look like trick questions...but according to meg,all is well.

havent received any money from the house sale yet,but have received a demand from my solicitor for her fee...told her to subtract her fee from the sale cheque,and she declined.

and weve had a tropical storm in london today,and my daughters car has floated into space,god knows where it is,perhaps he will give us a clue in the morning...weather forcast says more floods over night.

as if thats not enough,i spent eight hours today,trying to train firemen on using defribs,so they can treat heart attack victims...and they didnt give a toss,say they have no intention of using them!

well,theres always charlies posts to look forward to.:)

speak soon .....bryan.