PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary Work

Cat80
16-10-11, 18:11
I have taken the plunge after not working for many many years into applying to do some voluntary work. I start Wednesday working for Shelter in their charity shop in town. I am so nervous and worried already. I don't chat much and don't want to appear rude when really it's down to lack of confidence and shyness. I suffer from a fear of being sick and when I get anxious I feel so worried that will happen when I am there. I just hope I don't back out of it because of nerves but I am bored being stuck at home all the time. Any tips on how to cope with it?

Downsinthenorth
16-10-11, 19:39
First of all, congratulations on taking the first step! From personal experience I know how hard that can be.

Is it possible for you just to do a few hours for the first week or two? It would help you adjust, and might help settle your "nerves".

I find swimming early in the morning helps me, if I have to cope with something that I find nerve-wracking. The exercise seems to take the edge of my anxiety.

This probably sounds silly, but you might want to write down a plan of action. List the things that you will be expected to do, and then for each one write down how you will tackle them. For example, you will probably serve customers, so it might be worth imagining what they will say to you at each stage of a transaction, and then writing out a response that you can use.

Hope this helps!

danoxford
20-10-11, 04:15
Hi Cat80!

I suffer from emetophobia myself. I was unbelievably shy (and probably rude) in my first couple of jobs due to my phobia and anxiety, but what I want to definitely say is that once you get into the swing of it, the way you can be whilst at work and your anxiety/phobia are completely different things!

See it as a chance to be who you want to be "at work". Nobody you see there will know who you are or see you outside of work. Just start small, say hello and smile to someone even though it's scary. When someone smiles back and you do it again and again it will start to become normal.

The biggest thing to remember is that you can have a "normal" fun life outside of your anxiety, just try to make the best of this opportunity! Well done for taking the plunge!

WillyB
26-10-11, 02:09
Well done ! I can imagine how scared and nervous you are, i've just signed on to a weekend away hiking with people i dont know and im bricking it !