PDA

View Full Version : MY BP is going up and up

countrygirl
16-10-11, 19:47
I posted that having taken it every day for 6 weeks and got so calm and had perfectly normal bp for some reason now I am reacting horribly and its just getting higher and higher.

My husband has told me off and said stop doing it as the more you are doing it the worse you are getting hence the higher readings.I have gone from being just normal a few days ago to now its 150/95 with a pulse of 135. I was told that if you have a very high pulse then by definition you have bad anxiety and your bp will be higher as well.

AS soon as I touch the machine my heart pounds out of my chest and I am in a real panic as I just don't know how they can ever get a true reading from me while I am concious!!

I know the previous 6 weeks proves that if I am calm its totally normal but how can I get over this wild reaction to the machine??

Mr.Jitters
16-10-11, 20:08
Hey countrygirl,

What helps me is to take 2 or 3 readings each time, keeping the cuff on my arm for between 5 and 20 minutes before slipping the monitor off. Usually while I'm watching something on TV, and totally relaxed (or the closest thing I ever get to it!) and breathing slowly. I'm taking readings every few days at different times of the day because of new beta-blockers, and just yesterday my BP was 190/102 with a pulse of 150 the first time I took it. By the third time, it was 135/95 with a pulse of 98. If you need to monitor your BP, it's a matter of finding what works for you. If you're just checking in - your husband has the right advice. Our BP varies wildly from moment to moment as we're going about our day-to-day lives, especially with anxiety.

I don't know if this may be any help at all to you, but it certainly has helped me.

All the best!

selphie
16-10-11, 20:13
the worse thing i ever did was get a blood presure machine its made things and my anxiety totally worse:lac:

countrygirl
16-10-11, 21:42
Huge thanks both. No I don't need to check it now - I was asked to check it because of it being borderline by a new young GP who did not know me but I went back to my usual Gp who knows my anxiety and he just laughed when I told him the other gp has wanted it checked and said she doesn't know you like I do.

I think what has bothered me is that it was so good and I had managed to stay calm and now my reaction is unbelievable and I am so annoyed that I had not overcome my terror.

I am of course tempted to keep taking it - the take it three times is not good with me as I get worse and worse! But I am not going to take it again and will discuss with GP.

Vanilla Sky
16-10-11, 22:18
Get rid of the monitor ...... :)

countrygirl
16-10-11, 22:26
I agree - going to give it to my husband to keep in his study!