PDA

View Full Version : How do I explain it?

Annabelle
16-10-11, 20:59
Hi all

So ive been very brave and booked myself a driving lesson. I have been learning on and off for 10 years but I think its the only thing holding back my recovery is not having a license so have decided togo for it and get it sorted! Trouble is I dont want to go too far distance wise until I feel comfortable with the instructor but the first lesson is 2 hours (which im already a bit anxious about!) and we can't just drive round in circles!

Anyway what im asking is how do i explain that I can drive some places but not others (yet) without sounding like a lunatic and him backing slowly away with the men in white coats on speed dial?! Im ok going to the local town and a little bit round it but im no where near being able to get to the test centre yet - will he think im a plonker getting lessons when im too scared to drive to the test centre let alone all the areas the test might cover. Oh god what have I got myself into :ohmy:

so what do I do?!!

Anna xx

emmi
16-10-11, 21:05
in my opinion hunni i don't think its the right time for you to be learning to drive i have been driving for 14 years so am an experienced driver and when i have panic attacks when driving i know what to do in your case you are just learning and if you do panic when driving their is every chance you could harm yourself and others even if the instructor is sat at the side of you. i would wait until you have your anxiety under control and you don't feel panic and then start your lessons one bad experienced in that car coz you are not ready and you could end up making yourself worse hunni x

Annabelle
17-10-11, 22:39
Thats not quite the kind of encouragment I was hoping for :unsure:

I've been suffering with agoraphobia and panic disorder for 10 years now and am well versed in how to handle a panic attack. I've also been learning on and off for 10 years. If I thought that I shouldnt do anything until my anxiety was under control I would never do anything - what happend to feel the fear and do it anyway?!

With all due respect I wanted advice on the best way to explain my condition to someone new.