PDA

View Full Version : should i ask my doctor?

Katie6
17-10-11, 20:57
I won't bore you with my long story, but to cut it short, I have severe m.e and haVe been pretty much bedridden for almost 3 years, I have always ben a worrier, but since being very unwell I thought my anxiety and way of negative thinking has become a problem, i am not sure how much this is affecting my m.e physical symptoms, i really would like to give citalopram a try but have a real phobia about taking it, I have a box of 10mg sitting in my star for about 6 months. As an m.e sufferer I seem to ne extra sensitive to chemicals meds etc, so this just adds to the fear, feel so unwell all day every day, not sure I can handle feeling any worse. I was concidering asking my gp if she could prescribe me liquid citalopram so I could start on a tiny dose and increase very slowly in my own time. Would takeing it in this way be beneficial? Has anyone tried taking it like this? Did it help minimise side effects? Would really appreciate any advice or opinions before I discuss this with my gp. Thank you in advance
Katie x

nicola1980
17-10-11, 21:06
Hi, i have no experience of liquid cit but u could get a pill cutter and cut ur 10's in half so u start off on 5mg?? i did this to increase my dose on them from 10-20 and then 20-30, its very scarey starting them i know, good luck
Nicola xx

jeanettek
18-10-11, 13:49
hi,:hugs: im using liquid cit at the moment to wean of cit , i started at 40mgs im now on 20mg working towards 15mgs . using liquid cit and 10mg every 2nd day for few wks then gradually 15mgs everyday.
this is my 2nd wk , and its only now im getting side effects, but mainly at night , jaw clenching , whossing ears noises and little anxiety and the odd dizzy head, i dont think liquid cit is making side effects any less or better as i had all the above reducing in tablet form, the only reason i using liquid form is so i dont have to cut/break 10mgs to get my 5mg. so im not sure if would benefit , you should talk to your GP. good luck and take care xx

Anxious_gal
18-10-11, 14:42
I think it's a great idea , if you get side effects they won't be so bad :) if you start off with small doses, if you were to get side effects ;)

cathycrumble
18-10-11, 16:44
hi,:hugs: im using liquid cit at the moment to wean of cit , i started at 40mgs im now on 20mg working towards 15mgs . using liquid cit and 10mg every 2nd day for few wks then gradually 15mgs everyday.
this is my 2nd wk , and its only now im getting side effects, but mainly at night , jaw clenching , whossing ears noises and little anxiety and the odd dizzy head, i dont think liquid cit is making side effects any less or better as i had all the above reducing in tablet form, the only reason i using liquid form is so i dont have to cut/break 10mgs to get my 5mg. so im not sure if would benefit , you should talk to your GP. good luck and take care xx

Hi Jeanettek

I am comming off cit as I am not a fan of antidepressents. and they have not helped me. I have had really bad jaw clenching and I have cracked some of my teeth just waiting on a gum shield from my dentist. I was on 40mg I am now on 10mg. I started 10mg today I must say I am not coming off slowly as impatient to come off but I am suffering anxiety headachs sickness whoshing in one ear. How long has it taken you to come down to the dose you are on now? My anxiety has been through the roof with these cits going on them and now coming off them.

Cathy xx

Katie6
18-10-11, 17:26
Hi, thank-you everybody for your replies, i may call my doctor and have a chat with her tomorrow about this, i am still not sure whether i feel like i can take this med, but i think that if i were able to take it in liquid form and able to increase it in tiny doses, i may be more likely to try it, I know i would be expecting side effects with the tabs but i think i would be more confident about them being mild if i were able to take the liquid and start on a tiny dose and increase in tiny amounts. I know it will take a long time to get to a thereputic dose, but i have been ill for so long and am so poorly that i can be patient to do it this way.

I am not even sure how much the anxiety is affecting my physical health, i do get very down at times but that is secondary to putting up with m.e?cfs, i have two children, and am not able to be the mum i used to be to them due to my illness so i guess that is understandable.

It may be that the cit will have no positive effect on my illness, but i am getting to the point where one part of me says give it a go, its worth a try, but the other side of me is just to scared.

I am too poorly to go to the surgery, the doc either visits me at home or speaks on the phone, so i am trying to make my decision and get as much info as i can before taking up her time.

Kate x

Katie6
03-11-11, 11:36
I have finally spoken to my doctor yesterday who has agreed to me trying the citalopram in liquid form, i am still very scared of possible side effects, and still not sure if i will actually take it, but trying to find the courage. my hubby hasn't collected the prescription yet, but my doc said 4 drops worth is equivlant to 10 mg, so 1 droppers worth will be eqivlant to 2.5mg. I said to her i would prob try 2.5 mg the first week, 2nd week 5mg then 7.5mg then 10mg etc etc.
Am hoping that this will totally minimise side effects, or will i get them anyway with each dose increase? Has anyone done it this way and able to share their experiences?

Kate xx