PDA

View Full Version : A&E visit

Mirabelle
17-10-11, 22:22
Had really bad palps last night and called Paramedics. I have had AF before and was really scared. They took me to A&E and they treated the AF. BIG step forward for me was that I called the ambulance and went in hospital on my own. I was there for 6 hours and only called my mum for a lift home in the morning. I live alone and this was a huge step for me as I have always worried about being alone and ill. I was terrified the whole time and have been very anxious all today. I'm hoping that once I settled down I will feel less afraid in the future.
Any similar experiences anyone?

Anxious_gal
17-10-11, 22:40
ow wow I had heart palps and sinus tachycardia but I would so scared if I ever had AF!
Well done on going in on your own, as it can be so scary to be in hospital alone x
I worry too about being alone and ill but have learned that we actually cope a lot better and we think we will :)

I was kept in the hospital twice over 2 years, once for the palps and once for the fast heart rate, sent both times by my doctors. I had all the tests done etc...

But can you tell me how AF felt different from the usual funny heart? As in tell me the symptoms because I have always been curious as to how you would know the difference :)

Did you give you any medication or a treatment plan? I am pretty ignorant about AF but don't want to scare myself silly by looking it up,

Mirabelle
17-10-11, 22:53
You would definitely know the difference. I could see my heart jumping in my cheast and the rate was 170a minute. Because it only happens every now and again they just treat it at the time. I have no ongoing medication. The main problem for me is the anxiety I am left with. It seems to take over my life.

london
17-10-11, 23:22
you did do well
god bless

eva82
18-10-11, 02:03
I'm so happy your ok and at home now. That must have been so scary! I've gone to the emergency room 4 times now due to horrible panic attacks which I was sure they were something fatal. Everytime I have said to myself "this is it I am going to die"! I can't imagine what you were feeling being alone and with AF! You should be proud of yourself that you were able to hold off on calling your mom and dealt with the emergency all on your own!! :)

Mirabelle
18-10-11, 11:41
Thanx. I am proud of myself. Feeling a little weepy today though. Trying to see it as just a reaction to the stress.

macc noodle
18-10-11, 18:16
Well done Mirabelle - what an achievement.

Macc Noodle

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

crystal17
19-10-11, 10:57
Well done for going alone, I know how hard that must have been.

What are the symptoms of AF? I'm worried I have it but too scared to google.

Mirabelle
19-10-11, 22:40
You'd know if you had it there is no doubt. It's very fast and not like usual palps at all
xx

crystal17
19-10-11, 23:51
Thankyou x

I'll try not to worry about it. Hope you're ok.

Mirabelle
17-12-11, 18:42
Had AF again last night, but Dr had given me meds to take at home which I did and after 2hours it stopped. Feeling really anxious and sad today. Got loads of palps and feeling weak and shaky. I am so fed up, no matter how hard I try and push myself something comes along to knock me back down again.
xx

buffybot
17-12-11, 18:56
Thats life one step forward and 5 steps back : ( I hope you feel better soon.

AngelHeart
17-12-11, 20:15
How very brave of you. Well done xxx

Mirabelle
17-12-11, 20:48
Thanx guys
xx

gordie1
21-12-11, 23:22
HI I've had AF twice once 10 years ago and I was on a drip overnight in hospital called amiodarane and then in August I was told that I could be in it for 72 hours before they cardiovert you or they could leave you in it and put you on warfarin. I am now on betablockers and aspirin but I was so scared my parents were away on holiday at the time and I was on my own. I live alone too I came out of it 13 hours after going into it. It went away itself but really scary. Well done for going to hospital on your own. It is completely different from ordinary palps it is regulary irregular.

flobrien
22-12-11, 17:54
Hi there,
can I just ask does AF show up on ECGs? I have had palps and irregular beats for many years, had an ECG about 3 months ago which was completely normal...
x

Mirabelle
22-12-11, 19:33
Thanx Gordie
It just scares me so much even though I am told that it isn't dangerous at all.
xx