PDA

View Full Version : Sugar / chocolate

Pongowaring
18-10-11, 00:24
I know that chocolate / sugar can cause anxiety as they are stimulants, but I was wondering to what degree this is the case in the real world.

Today, for example, I was feeling pretty un-anxious at work, was fine till about 3pm ish, when I ate a large, very sugary chocolate doughnut (one of those low quality, big ones they do at Tesco). I'd also eaten a couple of chocolate brioches earlier on (I'm not a gigantic, greedy pig, incidentally!).

About 30 mins after the doughnut, I started feeling incredibly anxious, and the anxiety took over an hour to pass.

I've noticed this on other occasions recently, too, a real link between sugar / chocolate intake and my anxiety - as in it triggers it really quite badly.

I've cut down on other stimulants, I've not had any caffeine whatsoever for two entire months (previously, I couldn't function without a grande capuccino from Caffe Nero first thing in the morning, so this was a nightmare), have had the sum total of about three pints of beer in the same period, but haven't really been so vigilant on sugary / chocolate concoctions.

Does anyone else find they get such a noticeable reaction like this?

Anxious_gal
18-10-11, 01:17
I guess maybe the sugar can mess with your insulin levels? it might depend on your weight and how you process sugars and how sensitive your body is.
personally i don't have any problems with sugar, but too much caffeine makes my heart race.

Chem
18-10-11, 02:37
Too much sugar increases your blood sugar levels. You get a sudden rush of energy, which makes you feel high and light headed. It doesn't last long though, and the level drops quickly, leaving you feeling bereft, scared, anxious.......

Your body often craves particular foods because of what is in them. Chocolate contains iron, essential in your blood. It can be got from many other sources such as green veg, which are far better for you.

By the way - you are in the real world. Anxiety makes us no different than anyone who is trying to overcome an illness. We don't react differently because of it. We need to watch sugar intake just as diabetics do. :)

evil monkey
18-10-11, 03:04
those things ^^ refined sugars give your body a turbo boost of energy, then as your insulin over compensates for the sugar, you feel tired afterwards when your blood sugar goes low, when it's low you might get other anxious symptoms as you are 'low' on energy.

http://operatorcrossfitpaleo2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/diabetes_chart.gif

eva82
18-10-11, 03:13
I cut out a lot of refined sugar from my diet when my anxiety started getting out of control. I feel it did help not only lose weight but also kee me calmer than usual. Well, a few moths ago I started a new medication (mirtazapine) which made me crave sugar and carbs soooo bad! I gained about 15 lbs in two months time and my anxiety symptoms got worse. I don't want to quit the meds because they do help with my depression and insomnia. I am going to really be more careful about my sugar intake to see if it helps keep anxiety at bay. Even if it doesn't, at least maybe it can help me lose a few pounds!