PDA

View Full Version : So distressed by the ESA....

Butterfly22
18-10-11, 12:53
I'm diagnosed with anxiety and low mood, I put a claim in for ESA, while unable to look for work, they ring me and ask if I can go to an assessment centre which I said would not be possible since its quite a travel away and with me being an anxiety sufferer its going to be hard to do that, so they then requested that I ask my doctor to fax some details to them over my condition so they could arrange a home visit, when I asked my doctor he said this isnt proper procedure, you need to ring them and ask them to write to me requesting the information they need along with a form for consent, so I rang up ESA again and they turned round and said Sorry, we cant do that, its not how we work, we cant contact your doctor, so it looks like your stuck" the attitude was disgusting! so I told my doctor and then he rang them, he rang me back to say he understood how I was distraught if I have to speak to those types of people, he complained about their attitude and their procedures. Right now Im just in floods of tears.

weevil
18-10-11, 13:05
I don't like how random the actions of these departments seem to be, I've never had to involve a doctor in my ESA. It's good that your doctor is on your side and complained to them, you'd think they would be used to proper procedure. I feel like they rely on the guilt that we feel about fighting for "free money" to leave them alone.

You did it though, you didn't just leave it. That's an achievement, it's frustrating that it's now out of your control but at least there's nothing you're being made to do that you can't.

Butterfly22
18-10-11, 13:16
I agree with you weevil, and Im glad I have a good doctor on my side. I know, we already feel bad enough without being treated like that.

Bruno58
18-10-11, 14:28
Butterfly22

Would you be able to write a short letter explaining why you cannot go to an assessment, who was the phone call from?, you should address your letter to them and send it by first class recorded delivery (should cost £1.23p) and obtain a receipt from the post office as proof, keep a copy for yourself, you can check when the letter is delivered and who signed for it on line later ..the online information can take 2-5 days to appear on the RM website but it is really the best way to do it.

Your doctor should help you with this not just complain about about the procedures to you on the phone.

I will try to help you further if you wish.
J.

debs71
18-10-11, 14:28
These people are complete and utter mindless, red tape spouting zombies. I don't care if they are 'just doing their job' as some people say. These people are so called civil servants, therefore, working within a public service, and THAT is the way they are taught how to treat and speak to people in need. I was working for the public as a nurse, but if I had spoken to people the way these individuals do, I would have been sacked.

Frankly it disgusts me.

I totally understand your frustration Butterfly. I was out of work for 14 months after my breakdown 8 years ago. I did not make any claims during the whole time. I lived off of my bank account and help from my family. Eventually I got back to work.

I then became ill again in Dec '09 and resigned from my job as the stress was affecting me very badly, so I first took time to get well again, and then started searching for something totally different. I did not claim a penny again until April this year when I simply had to after so long without finding work.

Since then it has been nothing but a constant battle between me and the job centre's so-called 'advisors'. They are patronising, pushy, totally clueless when I try to explain my reasons for leaving the NHS and I have had to explain my situation a million times over to various people there. I have explained numerous times I am willing to work, but my health rules out the NHS at this time, but it goes in one ear, and out of the other.

An advisor the other week asked me how far I was willing to travel for work, and when I told her that bus journeys were fine, but the underground deep into the city was not as I suffer from panic and claustrophobia she looked at me as if I had two heads. If I could afford to I would drop my claim tomorrow as I am so tired of feeling utterly demoralised by 'the system' even though I am bloody well entitled to something after working since I was 18 years old and paying enough bloody taxes.

As Weevil said, it is great that your doc is on your side. That will go a long way in supporting your claim. Keep fighting hun. I know it is hard when you feel mentally awful, but you have every right to some support.

xxx:hugs:

Butterfly22
18-10-11, 14:48
Thank you very much for your replies.

Bruno... as far as I am aware my doctor is writing them a letter then faxing it.

Debs, so sorry to hear about everything youve been through, its awful how the system treats mental health patients, as if we dont feel bad enough already. Sometimes I wonder if it was worth claiming ESA at all. Like you I am willing to work, but at the moment my health isnt allowing that, so I have little choice. I dont like how these jobcentre people treat you as if you are pulling the wool, its so demoralising and distressing.

Yes Im pleased I have a good doctor.

Hugs xxx

Steve37
18-10-11, 23:38
I've had two home visits and on both of them i had to get my GP to write a letter to ATOS.

london
19-10-11, 00:22
steve is right your doctor has to text them thay wont ask him
god bless

t0rt01se36
19-10-11, 01:50
Hello Butterfly.

Sorry that you are going through a distressing time re ESA.

I recently went to my Doctor and showed her my ATOS letter about my ESA decision, because I wanted to appeal. She told me that she couldn't provide any information for me, but if she was contacted by DWP or who ever, then she would be happy to provide information for me.
Afterwards I felt frustrated and not happy as it took me alot of courage to go to the Doctors anyway and I left thinking what a waste of time. The Doctor told me going to Citizens Advice would be a good idea which I agree, but I stil feel she wasn't helpful, the Doctor.

Butterfly22
19-10-11, 07:29
Thank you for sharing your experiences, its awful how we have to go through this on top of being ill, the procedures and attitude are all wrong with ATOS. It does make you wonder whether its worth it sometimes.

Dizzy_Dave
19-10-11, 07:47
It's the Tory government picking on the poor and ill as usual. That's what they always do, I remember the treatment they gave the working class the last time they were in. I can't believe people were stupid enough to vote these parasites back in to power, it's those people you have to blame for ATOS and the new reduced benefits. I've got my assessment soon, I'm pretty sure they will refuse me as the Tories employed them to get us off Incapacity Benefit, if they turn me down I'm thinking of killing myself as I have no fight left. I had a really bad night last night, I could hardly walk to get to bed through dizzyness/balance problem, not sure if was an inner ear episode or anxiety or both, I've had enough, I really have. For those with strength left, keep fighting the machine before we lose the little freedom we have left. Watch the film V for Vendetta, we need to rise up, millions strong and take out this government, we need to show them they can't treat us like cattle, we are people with feelings.

Butterfly22
19-10-11, 07:56
Hi Dave,

I dont remember the last time the conservatives were in power because I was too young, but Ive certainly heard enough from my parents about them, enough to make my mind up that no matter what Mr Brown had done, conservatives didnt deserve my vote and they didnt get it, at least I can console myself with that thought, the fact I didnt help them into government. It looks like Im going to get the support of my doctor, so Im lucky in a way, but they want me to travel to another city, yes only 15 miles away ish, but with my anxiety I dont see how I can, how the hell Id find my way around a city in my state I dont know, also, Id probably end up throwing up before I even got out the house. They say they only home visit disabled people, well to be honest, we might not be physically handicapped, but mental health is just as debilitating. Please take care of yourself Dave, dont do anything daft. hugs.

Bruno58
19-10-11, 09:27
I've now had 22 years experience of the medical proffession and the 'social',
back in 1989 I damaged a disc in my spine, its been a nightmare since that day.

Yesterday I had another 'disc strike' as I call them, it stops me moving and causes severe pain in my back and legs and I've been confined to this chair in front of my PC screen for the best part of 24 hours now, they wanted me to go for an assessment in the town centre-4th floor-building is on a main road, no parking and impossible for me to physically get there.

I've been through the depression anxiety panic etc etc...its been almost impossible at times.

This latest 'attack' by the government by means of ATOS Healthcare...(they couldn't 'care' less) has infuriated me so much that I will attack anyone with words and if necessary 'face to face' confrontation which I am now extremely good at, I intend to take this as far as I need to stop this dispicable treatment we are forced to endure.

J.

Butterfly22
19-10-11, 09:38
Sorry to hear about the pain you are in as well as going through depression, anxiety and panic, I agree that this is an "attack" by the government through this Atos healthcare company, yep their "couldnt care less" attitude infuriates me too, it is dispicable and good luck with taking it as far as you can. Its not fair they should be able to treat people in this way.

Bruno58
19-10-11, 09:47
I've become hardened to it now, I know I will have the pain and problems just moving from the chair to the kitchen to fill my hot water bottle which is the only way to ease the pain and settle the disc down.

I'm not just doing this for myself but my wife too, she has just been taken by a hospital driver to one of the local clinics for another appointment, can't do it myself or I would.

I'm also fighting for you and all the others and I hope I can make some difference.
J.

Butterfly22
19-10-11, 10:59
God Bless you and wishing you all the best in your fight and thank you.