PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/Depression and work

jasminepearl
19-10-11, 15:14
Hi all,

I was in good health until about a year and a half ago when a horrible traumatic event happened to me and my family (don't really want to go into details). I had been signed off work then for 13 days. I thought I had been dealing with things well after, but recently things have gone from bad to worse.

I took an overdose in February while drunk, and was put on Prozac 40mg - a couple of months ago I went back to the doctors as I felt it wasn't working. I was very depressed and having panic attacks. He put me on Mirtazipine 30mg, which has helped me sleep, but I've put on 2 stone and I feel like I'm losing my mind. My main worry is that I'm going to lose my job... I can't function, I get constant colds, I make mistakes in everything I do. If I lose my job my life is over, I am so worried. Last week my anxiety got so bad about this that I took a knife and tried to slit my wrists in the bath. There was a lot of blood, but I'm OK. I didn't go to hospital or the doctor, I'm too embarrassed. In one way I want to get signed off, and take time to heal and get properly better. But if this happens will this ruin my career? Does anyone know if I will be ineligible for a pay rise and bonus in the new year? - both of which I desperately need. Normally I love my job and I want to stay here, I'm just not coping right now and don't know what the right thing to do is... Has anyone had any common experiences?

expecto patronum
19-10-11, 17:12
Hi Jasmine, sorry to read that things have been bad for you recently. Your employer can't get rid of you for having mental health problems, they have a duty to make any 'reasonable allowances' that will help you to carry on doing your job. You really need to go and see your GP and tell them how you're feeling, and also about trying to hurt yourself. I know how scary a prospect that must seem, but it is the starting point for you to get better.
Take care :bighug1:
Ros

haziefantasie
19-10-11, 18:56
Hi hun

I can totally relate with you as Ive had anxiety & depression for a year now & have been in & out of work since then. I also took an overdose a month ago so youre not alone there either!

I also think you need to go back to your gp & explain how youre feeling. It sounds as though you really need a break from work & as Ros said they cant sack you for having time off sick. Do you have a contract or anything explaining your employers policy for sick leave? It might be worth having a look if you do, or maybe contact your hr department if you have one. In one of my jobs I was off sick for a few weeks but I still got a pay rise & bonus, but that will depend on the companys policy.
As for the mirtazapine, Id discuss that with your gp too & see what they suggest. I dont know if youve looked in the mirtazapine section but theres lots of info there. I took it for a few months so if you have any questions just ask x

Anxious_gal
19-10-11, 19:31
I see you're more worried about you're job than you , you come first!
You cannot function and get better until you start giving yourself what you need.
You need therapy to deal with the trauma then CBT therapy will help you manage your stress levels better. You need proper health professionals not just doctors.
To be honest you attempted scuicide TWICE you need their help, maybe even a stay in hospital, thry are some good private ones around.
I'm sorry you are in such a bad a place right :( please try and seek out the help you need.
It's normal to feel overwhelmed and crazy and depressed but everyone needs a little help.

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Also antidepressants can make you suicidal , so you need to make sure that your doctor knows as it could be a dangerous side effect which needs to be monitored x

jasminepearl
20-10-11, 17:01
Thank you for your lovely responses.... yes, I'm most concerned about work as I can't afford to lose my job (or my potential pay rise in January). I'm going to book a doctors appointment and be honest, terrifying as it is...

expecto patronum
21-10-11, 19:17
Well done, I'm really glad you're going to ask for help. Try not to feel guilty for the fact that your employer will have to work around your mental health needs, remember that you wouldn't feel guilty if you broke your leg and needed time off; employers have to realise that they have a duty to accomodate mental health needs too especially as so many people have them. If you have any difficulty with your employer you might find it useful to refer to the DDA (disability laws) to find out what your rights are, or talk to an independent body like 'ACAS', who helped me when I was bullied by my boss a few years ago.
Best of luck and remember there's always people here who understand xx

expecto patronum
29-10-11, 20:19
Hi Jasmine, just wondering how you are doing and how you got on when you saw the doctor?