PDA

View Full Version : Stretchy skin - a symptom of EDS?

Jack1231
19-10-11, 18:56
Hi,
I noticed 3/4 weeks ago that i have, what seems like anyway, very stretchy skin one some parts of my face (and other parts of my body).

From researching this symptom, I can only seem to find it to be universally due to a genetic condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.

Other symptoms include joint dislocations (which my sister has regularly) and hypermobile joints (which i have slightly in a few of my joints).

Therefore I wanted to know if the laxity of my skin is like other peoples, so i found a video on Youtube of a guy who has the same level of skin laxity as me (I can't do the finger stuff he can do though). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nJvnsBajg

Cheers.

Anxious_gal
19-10-11, 19:23
I know a few people with super streachy skin.
Some just naturally are that way , then others who gained and lost wright end up with screechy skin.

Jack1231
20-10-11, 14:28
Cheers. But I also have other symptoms of this syndrome, such as hypermobile joints. Did you watch the video? Are your friends skin's that stretchy?

Mr.Jitters
20-10-11, 14:56
My skin is far more elastic than that, and my joints are hypermobile. I can touch my forearm with my fingers by bending my hand back and when I stretch my fingers back, without using force, they bend to almost a 90 degree angle upwards, which just ain't normal... however you look at it. However, I don't have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and despite having a familial history of Marfan's syndrome, don't carry the mutation for it myself. I'm just double jointed.

I think if you present with elastic skin and joint hypermobility, a doctor will usually look for an extreme lack of muscle tone with muscular pain, frequent and easy bruising and strained wrist and ankles and listen to your heart sound before progressing with further investigations for any connective tissue disorder. Most connective tissue disorders also involve crowded teeth and fallen arches in your feet. They're usually easily diagnosed by visual inspection, so if you're worried, speak to your doctor.

Jack1231
23-10-11, 15:01
Thanks man :)
It's just worrying me cos i looked up that there's a fairly rare type called Vascular EDS, which has a life expectancy of 40 years, and one of the main symptoms is thin, translucent skin, which i have realllyyy thin skin