PDA

View Full Version : Book about fear of driving

JoanneMallon
19-10-11, 19:28
Hello - I'm writing a self help book about fear of driving and would love to hear from anyone who has a story to tell. I would particularly like to hear from men, and anyone who has successfully overcome this phobia, but would be happy to hear from anyone who has an experience to share.

You can either leave me a message here or email in confidence at scaredtodrive@gmail.com

What I'd like to know is:

Your first name & age (you can be anonymous/name changed if you prefer)

When/how did your fear of driving start?

How has this affected your life? (give specific examples)

What have you done to try and overcome this fear? How successful was this?

What is the situation now?

What advice would you give to anyone else who's anxious about driving? What's your top tip?

And in case you're wondering why I'm writing this, it's because I had a very strong driving phobia which I've now (just about) overcome, but which kept me off the roads for 7 years. Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

If you have any questions about the book, let me know.

patricias
24-10-11, 21:25
i have not driven a car now for many years, i get scared at the very thought of it. it upsets me and dicates my life style. i know that i am a good driver in all weathers at any time of day. i get angry that i cant get into the drivers seat. my partner who is 72 is not getting any younger his eye sight is getting bad. i may have to become the main driver one day. which scares me to death. my daughters drive all over the country and cant understand why i cant drive up to see them, so i feel imprisoned and angry at myself, i hate being on a bus or train it makes me feel a such a failure in myself, and i want to go and explain to the driver that i can drive! i remember forgetting how to drive once while i was doing 70, i just forgot what i was doing, this happened a few times, maybe this is what triggered it off but that was years before the phobia really took off.

JoanneMallon
27-10-11, 17:18
Thank you very much for your message Patricias. If it's any comfort to you, I'm discovering that this is a very, very common phobia. So if you do decide to go and see someone about it (such as a hypnotherapist) you will probably find that they have helped people like you before and will be able to help.

Good luck and best wishes

Joanne

donnagreen83
24-11-11, 04:34
Hi Joanne

Im a driving instructor and would be happy to help from that point of view. I have had lots of very nervous pupils and pride myself on helping them to overcome their fear and get them on the road. If you think I can be of any help to you or with the writing of your book then please let me know.

Having a phobia myself I know how debilitating it can be and would like to help anyone out there even if its just for a chat about driving im happy to accept private message.

D :-)

JoanneMallon
05-12-11, 10:26
Hi Donna - thanks a lot for your message, would love to talk to you so will get in touch.

all the best

Joanne