PDA

View Full Version : Dismissed from job after only 2 weeks

FelicityMarie
19-10-11, 22:02
Hi everyone, thanks for reading :)

As the thread title suggests, I got dismissed from my job as an Apprentice Receptionist due to panic attacks. Here's my story:

I was recently employed by a Primary School as an Apprentice Receptionist, along with that I had to attend college one day a week to complete my technical side of things, which I tried not to think too much about. I suffer from social anxiety, not to the point where I can't leave the house, but it is awful. As I walked into the college in the morning, I felt that everyone was looking at me, talking about me and laughing at me, especially as they were all the same age as me (I am 20) it made me even more scared because they could compare me to themselves, which subsequently brought on a panic attack. I was crying, bawking and gasping for breath, and the college tutor obviously recognised that I couldn't stay there.

The next day, they had a meeting my my manager at the school, and they agreed at first to help me and support me until the next session of training in January so I had a few months to get myself together. Sounds good, right? Wrong. They rang me up the next day in work and said 'Felicity, you have to come into college today or otherwise you will have to be dismissed', which I found extremely unfair as they knew my situation and had promised me that they would support me. They said they believed that if I didn't confront my fear stright away, then i'd never be able to attend college in January and i'd be wasting their time. The same thing happened again, and I had a panic attack, which was even worse than the last one, I thought they were going to have to send for the paramedics! I was then called into the school, I tried to argue my case, but as expected, they sacked me.

I now don't have a leg to stand on and they have ignored my appeal letters. I had only worked there for two weeks but I absolutely loved the job. How were they to know and be so certain that I wouldn't attend college in January? I am very annoyed and also extremely upset. Is it right that they could do this to me?

I'm mortified :weep:

Mirabelle
19-10-11, 22:34
Poor you, and what horrid people! I think that they are obliged to make allowances for ill health, maybe you could try again in aces months time?
xx

eternally optimistic
19-10-11, 22:41
Sorry 2 hear your news. You have been treated very badly and through no fault of your own. Hang in there and I hope you get something else soon. You dont need an employer like that.
Take loads of care n gud luck

Anxious_gal
19-10-11, 22:52
I would ask someone to help like um citizens information or what ever you call it over there to see what your rights are.
I am really not sure if it was an unfair dismissal or not, but they did go back on their word which caused you further stress which caused your next panic attack.
So I do think you have some legal standing there, they out right lied to you.

Are you in any therapy or on any meds at the moment to help?
If you find it hard now, unless you are getting help it won't be any better in a few months, shame the people aren't being supportive as that would really help you not to be so worried :(

I can understand that they are hesitant to let you take some time off , in case you don't complete your college work, but again they totally lied to you which is down right nasty of them.

Maybe if you see a therapist and a doctor, and get them to send a letter explaining your situation and saying that they will think you can complete you collage work if you are given some time to work on your issues?

You need to give them a reason to believe you can attend college in January.
You could consult a lawyer and see if they unfairly dismissed you.

emmi
19-10-11, 22:55
go to your citizens advice hun they can't do that i did my level 3 beauty and they were brilliant with me when i was bad how i hate these ignorant people i wish they could have anxiety and panic attacks for a day then maybe they would not be quick to judge x

doodah
19-10-11, 22:58
Dear me! You've been treated terribly by the school and the college! I always thought that colleges offered counselling to their students - not bully-tactics!

I'm afraid I don't know whether they've acted illegally but it all sounds a bit dodgy to me! I hope someone can help to advise you on that score.

It's easier said than done but try EVER so hard not to let your treatment knock your confidence any further - not all employers are like them!

Take care,

Wendy xxxxx

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Ooops! Mishel and emmi posted whie I was still typing - phew! There's some good advice there.

xx

macc noodle
19-10-11, 23:22
Felicity

It is a shame that you were not mentally strong enough to cope with the apprentice receptionist position but you have to appreciate their position on all of this.

It cannot be appropriate to have someone working in a school who cannot control their panic attacks as it could be very disruptive and unsettling for the pupils. Whilst this may seem a harsh comment to make, it is merely a reality that those of us who suffer with anxiety and panic issues have to appreciate and accept as just something that we have to deal with.

I hope that you get the appropriate help to enable you to recover and deal with your panic so that you can feel strong enough to cope within a learning or working environment so that you can train and become a valuable member within a team in your preferred workplace.

Good luck and don't waste your time fretting over this - what is done is done and you must accept that they acted in not only the best interests of the pupils at the school and the other people on the course but, ultimately, in your best interests too.

You will enjoy your work life so much more once you have your panic under management.

Macc Noodle
x

FelicityMarie
20-10-11, 11:52
Thank you for your advice everyone, you've all been amazing :)

I'm not on any meds due to the fact they clash with my anti-epileptic medication, which is a bit of a shame really but i've read about nasty side effects of anxiety meds so i'd be a little hesitant taking them anyway. I've already had 12 sessions of CBT but it didn't help at all, and I had high hopes for it because my GP basically described it as a miracle cure!

I wasn't having the panic attacks in the school Macc, I was okay there because all my colleagues were a good 15 years older than me so I never felt like they were judging me or comparing themselves to me. Although a lot of whispering did go on in the office between other members of staff, I always thought they were saying bad things about me and that was why they were whispering, but I understand it was most probabaly for child confidentiality.

I wouldn't of had to take any time off work for the social anxiety, they said they'd help me within the school so I wasn't planning on taking sick leave, I just wanted to get on with my job :weep:

Good for you emmi doing your Level 3, wish i'd been given the chance to even do my Level 2! :hugs:

Thanks again everyone :winks:

Dying_Swan
20-10-11, 21:18
Gosh...really sorry (and horrified) to read this. I can understand why you're feeling so disheartened after the way you have been treated. I'm not sure whether or not they've acted illegally, but the EHRC (equality and human rights commission) might be able to help point you in the right direction if you want to find out.

I hope you feel better soon and this doesn't knock your confidence too much. Very best wishes x

Anxious_gal
20-10-11, 23:10
Have you tried group therapy?
It would be with people of maybe your age or all ages
Everyone would be there to get help.
It would be great exposure for you and good practice for your social anxiety
As the only way to get over out fears is to start facing them :)

Do you have a mental health team? You would be given a few different types of therapists, to help you with your issues and attend maybe group sessions as well.

A GP isn't really good for treating mental health issues

Thyme
20-10-11, 23:44
Oh dear this is horrible for you but I'm afraid these people were within their rights to dismiss you. Not that they were very nice about it and to be honest do you really want to work for people who can be so brutal?

As the law currently stands you cannot take an employer to a tribunal for unfair dismissal unless you have worked for them for 12 months, this will soon change to 24 months. Your ex-employer would argue that as you had only worked for them for 2 weeks you were still within the probationary period and (in their eyes) could not fulfill the requirements of the job. ie go to college. I am guessing that the person who told you that it would be alright to wait until January was acting outside their authority. There is the possibility that you could claim discrimination on the grounds of disability but this would be hard to prove unless you told them (in writing) before you started that you regarded yourself as disabled and they agreed (in writing) to provide you with the necessary support. Even then I would not be confident of winning a case.

If I were you I would work on getting as well as you can so that the next job you get will be a success. I'm sure you can do this. Put it down to experience and forget about them. Best of luck

Bravedart
21-10-11, 11:27
Hi there

Im really sorry to hear about your situation. I have lots to say on this however at the risk of going on and on Im just going to say this......

There are thousands of people out there who cannot declare their ill health before starting a post as they simply do not know they are going to become ill with anxiety, panic or depression. Ive worked for the same organisation for twelve years without any issues until 9 months ago.

In my opinion regardless of time in post you are still covered by the disabilty provisions of the Equality Act 2010 with regard to your anxiety feelings.

I am an employer so understand your employers views however how they have dealt with your situation is bad at best and could be challenged if you have the correct advice and strength to fight the decision.

Wishing you the best in the future.

Brave

SometimesHappy
21-10-11, 11:46
I have recently started with the company and with my contract i had to fill out Medical Questionnaire, where I have honestly put that I did suffer with anxiety....Now I am being called into the office to the Big Boss who wants to talk to me about my Medical Queastionnaire...now I wonder where it's going????

Thyme
25-10-11, 18:31
I am sorry to be hard on anyone but I think we should be honest with each other. This is an employers market...there are plenty of people out there looking for a job and just because you get yourself a job doesn't mean it is yours for life. Sorry but it's true. It is grossly unfair that employers can discriminate against anyone they decide they don't want in their employ. It is a fact of life. And once they have decided that they don't want you for whatever reason they will move toward getting rid of you and it will be for you to prove that this was unfair. If you are black, asian or physically disabled discrimination is easier to prove than if you are white or have a mental health problem (unfair yes) If you are within a year of starting with the company you do not have the right to go for unfair dismissal or constructive dismissal (which is very very hard to prove). You have to pay to go to a tribunal and it is not cheap. There is no legal aid for employment cases. If you are in a union they will advise you but they will not pay for a case they do not think they can win. Check out the ACAS website it is full of interesting stuff and it will put you right. I am sorry but we do not have as many rights as we think we have.
Your employers do not owe you a living and they will tell you they are not a branch of social services. Do your best to do your job as well as you can, that is all you can do.

You may think I am harsh but I have learned by experience that it is best to be realistic about what you can and cannot do. Employers want someone who can do the job...its as simple as that.

Anxious_gal
25-10-11, 19:23
I wouldn't mention my anxiety if I had a job, but then my anxiety is way too bad the moment, going through an interview and getting a job feels unrealistic at the moment .

FelicityMarie
03-11-11, 20:19
Hey all,

I have since been referred to an Occupational Therapist (employed by the council as I work(ed) for Liverpool City Council) for an assesment by the school, he spoke to me for a good hour and typed up a report. He sent me a copy in an email and it basically said that I am definitely fit to work and the school should really try to support me through my time there, I am just waiting for the school to contact me now to see if I have my job back.

Thanks for all your help everybody. I really appreciate the replies. :)