PDA

View Full Version : First initial signs?

Mc
23-05-06, 05:27
Hi guys!

This is my first post here :)

Anyways, did your panic attacks come all of a sudden (the VERY FIRST i mean), or did you have "minor" symptoms which you just shook off that time. Mine was when I was working out, I would get a bit light-headed and dizzy...and I would just shake it off, and relax for a bit before doing another set. My first full episode came a month after that!

Anyways, I have had my heart checked, ecg, echo, blood tests, and all were normal. Today I just had my ultrasound for my uper abdominal region. I hope that everything will also be normal there.

The thing thst bothers me now is I REALLY REALLY want to start working out with weights again! But Im a bit afraid to...right now its just some mild cardio (treadmill work) for me everyday, but nothing beyond that. Anyone else have any experience with working out with weights and panic disorder? i have done weights since high school..i'm now 30...I used to be be able to lift big like the big guys...but 2 years ago I started to just do it for fitness and just do light weights..but now im afraid even to lift a 10 pound dumbbell hehe.

Best regards,
Mc

eeyorelover
23-05-06, 06:05
Welcome MC - I don't remember having minor symptoms first. I probably wouldn't have known that it was anxiety even if I had any cuz I had never heard of it before my first trip to the ER. The first thing I remember was a major attack with all the trimmings - sweating, heart pounding, dizzy, mind racing. You know the drill.
I have found that stopping whatever you were doing when anxiety happens is only a trap. It causes you to fear things and give in to the anxiety. It isn't where you are that causes the anxiety as much as it is how you think about it. I know that it's scary to feel lightheaded but if you have had all of those tests then it is not because of any medical reason. Maybe try some light lifting and try to keep your mind occupied so that you don't have time to think about anxiety or what if thoughts and see if that helps. :)

giddy
23-05-06, 07:27
Welcome to the site mc. I didn't have any symptoms, just bang into an attack in the middle of the night. I too stopped exercising because I was dizzy and afraid I was going to collapse. However I have started again - built up slowly starting with just 10mins at first. It was horrible at first but the more I did the less symptoms I got. I think with your weight lifting I'd just go for it, but take it slowly. Once your confidence returns then gradually increase the amount your doing.
Love Helen

Daisybun
23-05-06, 09:07
I had minor symptoms, warning signs if you like but i just ignored them, wish i hadn't, could have saved myself a lot of probs, but just dismissed them as 'only stress' little did I know. But its good that I recognise them now and i can do something about it and so can you, there's lots of info, support, advice and help on this forum, hope you find it really useful.
Take care

Daisybun

'This too will pass'