PDA

View Full Version : Slowly Coming Into Terms with My Stomach Issue -- [A bit long, please HELP?]

caloocanboy
21-10-11, 16:15
Hi, I just browsed over some of the topics about acidity in the stomach and gastritis-related symptoms and I am glad that I am definitely not alone in this battle. There seems to be a lot of people who suffer from the same thing!

Just this June this year, I suffered from symptoms which include excessive burping, hunger pangs after eating, NOT feeling genuinely hungry, soft stools, and acidic-related sensations in the stomach that goes away when I eat. No heartburn or nausea. Those symptoms lasted for almost two months. I went to my gastroenterologist and was prescribed with Omeprazole (40 mg) for two weeks. He said that my symptoms were caused by my poor diet (I was skipping meals for 2 months) and constant anxiety and stress.

After a week of the meds, I felt way better. After finishing the medication, the stomach issues were gone for 4 weeks :)

However after the feeling better, I started worrying about other things (stupid HA!) and felt that my stomach issues were coming back. For 2 months I had on and off indigestion and excessive belching. There were weeks that I was okay and there were days that the indigestion and hunger pangs would return. I'm a bit relieved to say though that the stomach issues I had after the medication were never as worse as they were before I took omeprazole. No more "softer" stools and I can still feel REAL hunger whenever I'm hungry.

This week was particularly stressful. I had on and off mild hunger pangs and excessive belching.

Today, I didn't feel the hunger pangs yet I did burp and fart a lot. I also had three episodes of mild nausea (first time, I think?) which lasted for about 15-20 minutes. Nausea was accompanied by slight rumbling in the tummy. As of this moment, I feel fine.

I am just hoping that this is gastritis.

Do you think that I should go back to omeprazole and let my stomach heal?

And...

Is it a good sign that I responded well to omeprazole when I first took it and the symptoms I have now were not as worse as before?

Thanks for your time.
xxx

Jack1231
21-10-11, 18:07
1. Your doctor said it's your diet. That's because he/she has had people with these symptoms before (they are COMMON). Therefore, you MUST improve your diet, now.

2. Anxiety can cause a huge amount of symptoms. This will only be making it worse. Relax.

3. After a week, re-post here if you're still concerned.

caloocanboy
23-10-11, 01:21
Thanks, jack.

I shall try the omeprazole tomorrow.

What does anyone else thinks about my situation? :(

Violet1
23-10-11, 12:34
Hi, I had exactly the same problems as you started in August, really bad hunger pains after eating lots, eating more wouldn't help, burping, constant gurgling noises from my stomach and occasionally loose stools. I majorly stressed over it, gastrenteroloist said it was because I had recently changed my diet (trying to lose weight) and I should go back to eating normally again. I was also given omeprozole which made me really nauseous so had to stop them. 4 weeks later I still didn't feel great, not so much pain but discomfort and burping with hunger pains. In the end I went for an endoscopy, which showed a healthy stomach and a small hiatus hernia, which is not a problem. 2 months on I now feel fine, the occasional twinge but I ignore it. I am completely convinced it was my diet but also anxiety made it so much worse which in turn caused irritable bowel.

If omeprazole works for you then I wouldn't be worried, if it had worked for me I would have felt better but in my case it made me feel worse, making the anxiety off the scale!!

I have read a lot on these stomach issues, and it seems very common. Try not to let it get to you, try and take your mind off of it and it will go.

Hope u feel better soon

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Just re read your post again and I def think your anxiety is making it worse. Don't let your anxiety win and take over, just forget about it. for example as soon as I had the endoscopy my symptons went, once I knew things were ok I was ok. HA is a terrible thing and amazing what it can do. Don't worry x

caloocanboy
25-10-11, 02:22
Thank you so much violet! I'll PM you within the week!

Violet1
25-10-11, 19:41
Don't worry honestly, you'll be fine. Just read about your uncle too, really sorry, must be a worry for you. My mother in law died of breast cancer 2 years ago and since I have convinced myself I have breast cancer, cervical then stomach cancer! What a nutter! :-) it really hits you hard when it's someone close to you. As my doctor told me, you can't live your life think everything that happened to someone will happen to you. If only it was easy to think like that. I do understand your worries though of it being in your family, however it's very unlikely, try not to worry you're fine. Pm me any time u want to chat x

caloocanboy
26-10-11, 03:22
Thank you so much violet! I'm feeling physically better now thanks to the meds. xx I'll send you a pm within a few days to update you. thanks again so much.