PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain

toni282
21-10-11, 23:06
Hi everyone, does sertraline cause weight gain ? I've been on them for about 6 months now and in the last month I've put on about a stone even though I'm eatin more sensible then ever! It's really getting me down now :-( thanks for any replys x

haz
21-10-11, 23:52
I think all SSRI's make most people gain some weight. I gained a lot on Seroxat, lost two stone when I came off it, but I was in hospital for 5 months, hospital food will do that to you! I've been on sertraline for 9 months now and am gradually starting to regain the weight I lost but I'm not that bothered. If it comes to losing weight or losing my sanity, I'd definitely rather have my sanity! :D x

emma6981
22-10-11, 17:19
how r u 2 gettin on with the sertraline? ive had a bad few days after a good week and its knocked my confidence. i just want to hear that it works for people and that you do
feel better

haz
23-10-11, 00:26
It seems to be working, I'm on 50mg, also diazepam and zopiclone if I need it. It took a while for it to really kick in for me, about six months. I know that sounds like a lifetime away but a lot of people on this site found it helped them much more quickly, more like six weeks. I think you have to give it at least eight weeks unless you are experiencing really unpleasant side effect. I didn't suffer any particularly nasty side effects so that's why I stuck with it. When I say six months, I mean the full effect, it did help a bit before that.

You can only give it a try and see if it works for you. Sometimes it's a process if elimination with meds until you find the right one.

Good Luck. x

MintyFresh
24-10-11, 09:40
I seem to be losing weight on it. Mind you, I have been on a diet since taking it - but I definitely haven't been prone to putting on weight with it.

rosi
24-10-11, 11:50
I'm losing weight too. Only on Day 6 but my appetite is very low. When I tried Sertraline this time last year I lost about a stone in weight. I think it's a very common side effect.

haz
24-10-11, 22:13
I lost weight initially but then gradually started to gain weight. Sertraline is meant to be one of the SSRI's to cause the least weight gain apparently?

raverminx
31-10-11, 01:13
ive actually lost weight. i was 10.4 when i started in july, im now 9.4 so lost 1 stone, which is great. im back in size 10 clothes, something i havent been able to do for 6 years!