PDA

View Full Version : hangover

apm
18-04-04, 19:16
Hi all,

I was at Twickenham for the Powergen rugby cup final yesterday, and naturally drank far too much beer. I have had a rotten hangover all day, and have been feeling quite anxious too. I've read that boozing can contribute to anxiety, but I was wondering if anyone has found this to be the case/ had experience? For context, I had my first (an so far only) panic attack just over a month ago. Since, I've had acute anxiety, although this has been steadily diminishing since. So this might just be a blip?

What do you reckon?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

Meg
18-04-04, 20:05
Hi Alex,

Excess of alcohol does horrors to your internal Glycogen/glucose converting/monitoring system and most hangovered people don't eat straightaway, also the fact that alcohol is a depressant both add up to a heightened anxiety state.

There are lots of posts here about people experiencing just yoru story. Use the search facility to locate them.

Blip- definately.

Hope the match was brilliant.

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

apm
18-04-04, 20:48
Thanks Meg- that's what I thought, but nice to have confirmation. I guess it's okay to get drunk, just so long as you're prepared to feel bad the next day!

And the match was fantastic- end to end stuff, absolute nailbiter!

Thanks again,

Alex.

-Groucho Marx.

Meg
18-04-04, 21:05
Exactly . I find it helped so much to know where it's come from and that it will pass in a few hours.

You can try to minimise the effect by good water hydration and eating something - just a few nuts/ raisins will do if you can't face something bigger - every hour throughout the morning. Keep that sugar level constant and stable - choc etc will lead to large swings so not helpful.

If you ever get a plethora of tickets for Twickenham - I'm always pleased to help keep up the turnstile numbers !!

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

uryjm
19-04-04, 21:19
Alex
I get anxiety big time when hungover. A positive side to this is that it makes me more aware of the amount I'm drinking on a session, and I don't get as ridiculously sloshed as I used to (like drinking yourself sick, being sick, and then drinking more.) Had I continued on that track, who knows where I'd have ended up. I still like a drink, and will still occassionally have "one over the eight", but I suffer the next day.

Jim

nomorepanic
19-04-04, 22:30
Oh hangovers and panic - I know them well!

Have you tried cures such as Resolve, alka-seltzer, lucozade sport (to he-hydrate) or just good old plain milk or water. I am not encouraging you to drink - lol - just offering some cures when you do!

I definitely feel more panicky after a good session!! But we still go back and do it again don't we?

Nicola

apm
19-04-04, 22:51
It was a good hangover this one (12 hours boozing, double figure pint count), and it's not surprising I felt so bad! I have felt pretty jittery all day today, but much better this evening. Guess my brain/ blood chemistry is recovering. First time I've had a real skinful since I've had this thing of ours, and it is useful to know the outcome! Not something i intend to repeat...at least not very often!! As you say Jim- I will be much more aware of what I am drinking now, and moderate accordingly!

I did make the big error of not drinking water before bed. Won't make that mistake again... will stock up on cures for next time- thanks Nicola!

I'm back to Twickers for the heineken cup final at the end of May, but will be (a bit) more careful then (no spare tickets I'm afraid Meg. Maybe we should organise a forum outing to watch a game?? Or better still, anyone like cricket?)

Thanks for your advice everyone- once again the forum holds the answer!!

Alex.

-Groucho Marx.