PDA

View Full Version : Is this anxiety?

supasooz
23-05-06, 18:13
Hi
Totally new to this site and most other message boards! I have had a 'problem' since I was a kid and wondered if you guys could offer advice as to what it is. Sorry it's so long-winded.
I seem to go through phases of my life where some things become far more of a big deal than they should be. I get what I had been told were panic attacks but I'm not sure that's the right term. I could be absolutely anywhere, sometimes at school or in a shopping centre, and I would just suddenly feel awful..tingling fingers, hot or cold flushes, nausea, shortness of breath, a feeling of being trapped and wanting to go home. I always feel 'safe' at home. I could not (and still can't)work out why these 'attacks' would happen.
I started to avoid lots of normal activities Eg When I was a teenager(12-16) I avoided cinemas, school trips, swimming pools, discos, basically anywhere that my peers would want to go. Family holidays were a nightmare. I would worry for weeks or even months beforehand.
I saw a counsellor. No help. Then I got a boyfriend and was fine for years.
Everytime I have a period of stress the attacks seem to come back for a time(6/12 months) and then go. When they aren't here I can go anywhere and do anything. When they are I can't believe the person I 'used to be', I limit myself and avoid things. I find myself terrified about things like parent's evening or a meal out.
Have you any idea what is wrong with me?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The Doctors haven't offered much help in the fourteen years I have been asking for help.
Thank you
Susan

shiv
23-05-06, 18:47
Hi there and welcome,

DEFINITELY sounds like panic attacks and anxiety. I get exactly the same; feel great for years at a time then WHAM another episode.

I think you need to try another doctor: I just can't believe they didn't pick up on it before.

Anyway you'll find lots of other people here in the same boat and there's a great support network. It's helped me heaps.

Shiv x

wendy
23-05-06, 19:05
Hi & Welcome
As Shiv says this is 100% anxiety! My family GP overlooked my issues for years and now I have changed GP am receiving great support so agree you should defo change your doc,
It will get better for you

Wendy x

May Day
23-05-06, 19:22
Hi Susan

It sounds like anxiety and you should try to see another doctor if you aren't satisfied with the ones you've seen ...
it's interesting that when you got a boyfriend that your panic attacks calmed down .... i wonder if your anxiety is sparked off by the feeling of being alone and unable to cope or maybe low self esteem ... you boyfriend obviously gives you comfort and confidence in some way ....

do you feel comfortable going out to places with him that you wouldn't go on your own ?

take care

May

The brightest, sunniest day may follow the darkest, stormiest night ... enjoy the sun

giddy
23-05-06, 19:59
Hi Susan - welcome to the site.
Love Helen

Alexandra
23-05-06, 22:39
Hi susan

Welcome to the forum.

Take care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Daisybun
23-05-06, 22:49
Hi Susan and welcome to the forum. It really sounds like panic and anxiety to me too. I would definitely go back to GP or find another one that can recognise your symptoms and give you some support. there are lots of things you can do and there's lots of support and help available. Take a look at the info here it really helped me when I finally realised what was happening to my body and mind. Take care
love

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

MrMonkey
24-05-06, 01:01
Yup, the symptoms definetly sound like a panic attack, but I wonder what is causing it? There must be some underlying worry that brings it out in you? Or is there just an unseen build up of stress that causes the first attack and then you take a long while to get over it and the residual panic has you anxious for months afterwards? Its hard to say, but I bet if you did a bit of research into relaxation techniques, including looking around this site, you will notice yourself being calmer.

It's just my high anxiety getting to the best of me. I call him Bingbongilypoop. Then I can laugh at him cos he has a funny name. HAHA! [points]

Wenjoy
24-05-06, 07:23
Hi there
Yep its def. panic and anxiety. I am the same - when I feel that way in cinemas, theatres, busy shops I just get this over riding feelingof GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE - then feel safe at home. Ive been doing relaxation tapes and now having hypnotherapy to teach me how to breathe calmly and say to myself that I am ok and I am safe.
Well done and use this site as its brill for any questions or just keeping us up to date with how you are. Love wenjoy x

Karen
24-05-06, 18:44
Hi Susan

Welcome to the forum. These definitely sound like panic attacks. Have you asked your doctor for some help from a therapist. CBT therapy is very helpful in treating this.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey