PDA

View Full Version : Please help, anxiety is ruining my life

TVFan8
23-10-11, 05:16
A year ago I was exercising at the gym and for some reason I thought I was having low blood sugar (I had a small breakfast in the morning and by the time I went to the gym 2 hours had passed). Apparently it was a panic attack. I went to a naturopathic doctor who changed my diet and "prescribed" some supplements; after that I felt fine, with the occasional anxiety attack. 6 months later the anxiety came back much worse. I went to a Dr. who gave me an order for a post-prandrial (sp?) test and the results came normal (IIRC, 89 before fasting and the about the same number after eating.

To make a long story short, my anxiety stems from the fact that I think I have hypoglycemia and I will faint or die (I'm convinced my extreme anxiety started after I had a bad allergic reaction to an acne antibiotic). Going to sleep is horrible, waking up too. My first thoughts when waking up are " you haven't eaten in 8 hours, your sugar is low, you will faint". I haven't driven in 4 months because I fear I will pass out alone while driving. My life this past year has been horrible.

My question is: do you guys think there's something wrong with me or it is just anxiety? I've always been a healthy person but this is ruining my life, plus I'm only 23 years old and I'm wasting my time. Another fear of mine is that I'm considering enlisting in the Air Force and hypoglycemia is a disqualifier. My mom says that I'm perfectly fine and it's just my mind playing tricks.

Please do no suggest any type of medication since that's something I won't even consider. I've been taking some supplements and they are helping a lot, but natural remedies are slower than conventional medicine.

Anxious_gal
23-10-11, 05:57
I think if you get Therapy like CBT or do something to work on your fainting phobia you'll be ok.
I get dizzy sometimes and worry about low blood sugar so I always hae a sugary drink on me as well as a ceral bar.
If you have never fainted before chances are it's not going to happen now.
I went about 18 hours without food or water, I was having surgery, Even then I did not faint lol
You had tests on your blood sugar and they were normal :)
Also being dehydrated can cause anxiety symptoms too.

emmi
23-10-11, 08:23
hey hun i too have a fear of fainting and its a big fear at that but in all the ten years i have had anxiety i have not fainted once but my mind is so used to worrying it seems normal x

eva82
23-10-11, 18:38
Same here... Big fear of fainting eventhough I never had before. I also recently became scared of fainting upon wakin for fear that my blood sugar is too low. Both my dad and grandpa are diabetic and I know that when they're blood sugar is extremely low they just start feeling a little dizzy and have never fainted, so I should be more rational about this! Oh well, wish I could give you advice on how to overcome this but I have no idea..just know you're not alone! Xx