PDA

View Full Version : Things that have helped me -Pass on your tips :)

Littlehelper123
23-10-11, 12:32
This post is for people that have just started to have panic and anxiety attacks. I know that when mine first started I had no clue whatsoever as to how to deal with them...SOOOOO Every one post your tips and tricks to making yourself feel better =) That way we can hopefully learn something new along the way :)

1. Drink water - your brain consists of 80% water so if you are dehydrated your body begins to feel tired and weak. Thats why you feel sluggish and bad if you don't drink enough!

2. Eat healthy foods - by keeping a balanced diet, it will balance out the chemicals in your body. Bananas are good for you because they contain Seratoin which is a hormone that makes you happy!!

3. Exercise - By exercising your bloody pumps around your body a lot more which then releases the happy hormone SERATOIN!

4. Do little an often - if you never no what to do with your self try making a 'to do list' like this :

9am - wake up
9.30 - have a drink and some breakfast
10 am - go for a walk
10. 30 - have a shower
11am - vacuum the house
11.30 - go to the shops and get a magazine

By doing this you are getting yourself into a routine! Routines make you think about what your are going to do next as opposed to 'im panicking' 'im anxious!' =)

This is all I can think of right now but if you guys can think of anything else that makes you feel better - WRITE IT HERE!!!

This way we will all hopefully find something new AND the newbies will benefit from all the advice =)

Hope this helps!

Take care!

Hannah x

hyppiegirl
23-10-11, 15:39
I spent my 1st 3 years with GAD in the bathtub that was 14 years ago, when there was not the help there is now.
Routines are great
KISS-Keep it simple stupid(when those racing thoughts happen about a fever equals memeagitus)
Deap Breathing
Focus on a book even if you have to read the same page over and over
Scrub your house gets rid of that excess energy raging
Talk about it with someone just with a friend like this is what is worrying me right now, speaking it out loud takes the power away from it.

I hope this helps

eva82
23-10-11, 18:45
This may sound silly but I learned it during CBT therapy and it helped me advoid a panic attack last night. When you start panicking, say STOP and make a hand motion to go with it (like clapping your hands together once very powerfully). Then chose an object in the room and spell it backwards. Move on to another object, and so on. I didn't think t would work, but the panicky feelings slowly started to leave as my mind was too busy trying to spell the words backwards. Silly I know, but can't hurt to try it! :)

Evie1976
24-10-11, 14:55
I think these are great suggestions, I've certainly found that there's a lot to be said for having a plan for the day - it helps keep your mind focussed from going off at all kinds of tangents of worry - but important to remember not to set too many high targets (guilty of it myself sometime :doh:) because then we just worry about not managing everything on the big 'to do ' list

Take care folks

E x

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Well done you for your positive attitude - I find it inspiring! Somewhere in my head I know I can achieve my dreams too but just now it's just about trying to climb out the dark hole that is GAD :ohmy:

hyppiegirl
24-10-11, 16:03
luv2teacher I am going to try that great trick.

Glitterbugs
24-10-11, 17:00
I find writing helps! When I get anxious I start cleaning, pacing and have lots of nervous energy.

My counseller suggested using this energy to write. Write the trigger for the anxiety, all your negative thoughts then alternative (rational!!) possibilities!

Afterwards, you always see that the more rational possibilities are positive and by far outweigh the negative irrational thoughts we get when anxious. I think the act of writing helps to get it out of your system too and it is great to look back on to see how far you have come.

xxx