PDA

View Full Version : Overthinking, just can't switch off

Wiff
23-10-11, 12:36
For months I've found I am overthinking every last detail of conversations I have with colleagues at work. I just can't let things go, for instance if I am told about something they are doing in their personal life I feel I have to know everything about it. I find when I am away from work I start thinking and analysing things we've discussed at work.
I'd love to be able to walk out of the door at the end of the day and leave work behind, but I am driving myself mad with it all.
When I am at home (live alone) I feel I have nothing to look forward to, every day seems the same, and then I start thinking about conversations at work again.
It's horrible.

Littlehelper123
23-10-11, 14:58
It sounds like you are lonely and very bored! Have you tried taking up something? Like a hobby. Knitting helps me !! haha. If you find things to do at home then it'll take your mind off of work =) Confide in your friends and family , let them know you are having a difficult time and i'm sure they'll support you =)

If you need anyone to talk to just inbox me

Take care x

PanchoGoz
23-10-11, 19:05
Try this as well, for overthinking: Go lie on your bed, mat, haystack or whatever.
Close your eyes.
Relax each muscle of your body as follows: Feet, ankles, calfs, upper thigh, lower thigh, hips, bottom, waist, back, shest, shoulders, fingers, hands, wrists, arms, neck, jaw, then do a RRROOOOOAAAARRR face to ease your facial muscles.
Then try to count to 10 with a clear mind. See your worries as white clouds infront of your black eyelids. When the creep back, waft them away in your mind. Each time you count to 10, see how long you can keep your mind clear. Do it for as long as you want.
Keep the relaxed feeling when you wake up.
A good way to learn to let go of things.

will beswick
25-10-11, 07:58
Hi Wiff - if you would 'call' this anxiety/panic - then basically you are 'doing' a classic 'getting stuck' behaviour as this is what panic sufferers do. They 'dwell' on thoughts 'too' long - because they 'think' they need to over-control them - processes going on here are very important to understand - basically - because you are intense, you tend to get stuck on things - yes distraction can help/filling your life etc - but ultimately - you 'can' resolve this isuue more effectively - all I will say here is that your tension 'meets' with tension. You become 'aware' of what you are doing and 'then' tense up about it. This can then become a huge problem as I guess you are stuck in that same panic behaviour?

The main thing here is that you just dont need to tense up. The panic sufferer thinks they 'have' to tense up to sort out their discomfort when actually it takes 'more effort' to do this. In summary, next time you get a thought that you dont like, i.e. concerning becoming too entranced in your friends converstions etc...and find that tension welling up - just hold off from 'doing' it - there really is no need. Then you will allow yourself to flow on to other thoughts. You should sense relief from abstaining from this tensing and that should give you confidence to stick with it. cheers Will :)