PDA

View Full Version : My fear of being sick...

Michelle1209
23-05-06, 23:48
... has taken over my life.

I have a serious phobia of being sick that has consequently resulted in also dealing with social phobia, OCD's, stress and depression.

I am looking to chat to someone who can completely understand where i am coming from... please get back to me if this applies to you too.

alexis
24-05-06, 00:32
Hi Michelle, I dont have a fear of being sick but do have social phobia and depression. I have a VERY good friend on here who does suffer with emetophobia, and I know she will be along soon to reply, one thing you must remember is, you are never alone, welcome to the forum.xx

Michelle1209
24-05-06, 12:40
Thanks Alexis x

Juicy
05-06-06, 21:18
Hi Michelle

Mu name is Lucy and I too have a massive fear of vomiting. It stops me eating out very often, ,travelling, new foods. Everything I do in some way I think it may make me sick. I panic if someone around says they feel unwell, they could have a headache but I immediately think they are going to vomit which will make me vomit.
Due to having this phobia it has caused me to have social phobia. I really want to enjoy life and go out but i'm too blo#dy scared! That then just makes me depressed. I'm currently in a CBT programme which is helping (if your not already having CBT i would definately recommend it)

I only found this website a couple of days ago after a friend of mine mentioned it. I didn't realise there were so many other like me out there. We are not alone.

Hope to hear from you

Lucy aka Juicy

tammyg
05-06-06, 22:02
Hi Michelle,

Must have missed this post before, sorry!

Alexis is right, you are certainly not alone. I have this too as do many more people on here.

It's a tricky phobia to have because it's hard to avoid. You just don't know where or when it might happen. That's why often it does lead to social phobia and other difficulties.

Lucy, your comment really sums it up:
**I really want to enjoy life and go out but i'm too blo#dy scared! **
Same here! But you get to a point where you've just gotta do it don't you. Sounds like you have reached that point as you are having CBT. Good for you, let us know how you are getting on with it. For me it was more joining here and getting every book I could lay my hands on and just learning. Throw in a bit of self help techniques and determination and I'm loads better than I was. I'm not sure I will ever be ok with it and I am still scared but on the whole I will get through it.

And so will you. You can do so much more than you think you ca do. Have a look for some old posts, do a search for emetophobia and you will find lots of positive stories. Let me know if you can't find what I'm on about and I'll do a search for you, there's a few under success stories as well.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Tammy x

kellynwv
05-06-06, 22:09
I am sure I am sick of something new every week. I have habits (OCD) that I do to make sure I do not get germs near me....but I started Zoloft on Saturday, and I am already getting better! Even when I try to worry about something I can't obsess about it..I hope that make sense.

YOu are not alone.

emms75
06-06-06, 21:41
Michelle

I fully understand where you're coming from. I have suffered with emetophobia (fear of vomiting) and social phobias since I was about 9 years old. (I'm now 31)
Worst thing is, until recent years I thought it was 'just me' and I would just have to live like that because that's the way I was made.
I suffer with clinical depression and OCD's too. The OCD's are mostly concerned with preventing sickness.
The fact that I am here today typing these words is incredible, I never thought I'd find a place where so many other people are suffering the same way as I have.
The recent death of my mother worsened my panic attacks and depression, and I was admitted to hospital. Here, I was referred to a consultant psychiatrist who has literally saved my life.
In the past my gp prescribed all sorts of nasty anti-depressants etc, all of which gave me the side effects you and I definatley don't want to have!
I explained all this to the psychiatrist who gave me Chlomipramine, and assured me it shouldn't cause any problems. He started me off on a low dose which also helped.
I have to say my life has changed. I feel better than I ever have. The phobias etc are still there but it's manageable now, I'm able to live my life rather than just sit down and watch it go by, hoping the years will go quickly so I would die and there would be an end to it.
I'm so sorry you're suffering these crippling phobias, I really do know how dreadful it is and I promise you now, there IS a solution, you WILL feel better, you just need to find the right help.
If you want to mail me I would love to chat more, after years of thinking I was the only one suffering, it has helped to know there are others who feel the same!
woofilms@yahoo.co.uk
emms x