PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is this?

coryboyirish
25-10-11, 22:03
Hello Hello,

I'm new to the forum - so be aware - that I realise there are a lot of people probably going through the same situations that I am, but i'm just appreciating any help - and i'm also going to try and be an active member of the forum after this thread also.

I'm Cory, i'm 21, and I live in England for University, but originally I come from Ireland. I'm in my final year of University. Basically I don't know where to begin.....

Essentially since March this year - I had a panic attack - a massive one. One where I couldn't breathe, and it came completely out of the blue. It wasn't turned on by anything, I wasn't stressed, depressed, on any alcohol or drugs.. I was simply in my room.. watching television (I think it was Countdown on More4, for any of the British people in this forum. aka - something that you would definitely not expect to trigger anxiety).

I would like to stress that this was my FIRST ONE EVER. And I'd like to point out that before this, as far as I was aware, I thought panic was simply something much much much less extreme. So of course, because I didn't know what panic or anxiety was at the time, I thought the panic attack when it happened, was something like a heart attack, or of course, when it started, i thought - '****, i'm i dieing'? etc.

Ever since then... i've developed this sense of fear... since that panic attack in March. Because understandably, it scared the crap out of me, who doesn't feel scared by it.. and it has ruled my life with aniexty ever since..

Now let's stress, that I haven't actually had a panic attack per say ever since.. i've just been constantly.. on edge... thinking about it. After researching it further i've realised that i've felt depersonalisation, and 'aniexty attacks' - which is something that lasts for hours, unlike a panic attack, that lasts for minutes, etc.

I've realised many things since march - and to be honest, I'm just going to bullet point them.

- If realised that if i forget about aniexty - the aniexty itself never ever ever happens, and it never comes out of the blue for no reason. aka - This makes me realise that i am indeed the one causing my own worst enemy in essence.
- I've gone through weeks forgetting about it, but every so often i go - 'oh cory, you haven't experienced aniexty in a while.. ' and OPPS - it's back!
- At first I thought it was something medically wrong with me.. hyperthyroid syndrome (i'm a skinny guy, always have been, even prior to March).
- I'VE NEVER LET IT RUN MY LIFE. I always always fight it and man up to it. For example, it doesn't stop me from going to class, going to work, doing assignments, going out clubbing with friends, etc.. but of course it makes it difficult for me than the average joe when i'm out.
- If you seen me in person, and spoke to me, etc - You would personally never think I had this problem. I never show it.

And I have to admit something - it was very very very very frankly annoying that the internet kept telling me that I'm depressed... when I honestly do think I am not? Is that normal for me to think this? I really don't think i'm in denial about this.. i just think i've got myself caught in a loop of aniexty - if you get me? That understandably is difficult to get off?

However, since the discovery of this aniexty - it has made my little old soul, think of course that its things worse than it's not.

- Some days i'm convinced it's something foreign in me, therefore i think i've got some sort of brain tumour.
- The obvious sign, that I think I'm going mad - because I really do think.. this isn't me.. why is this happening to me? etc. But I've read on the web that this is simply a very common symptom of aniexty.. but now i keep saying to myself.. is this me going mad? But why? I'm obviously just getting anxious when i think about it.
- The Internet telling me i'm depressed, when i don't think i am? And this very information on the web makes me doubt myself and sometimes makes me feel depressed because of it - but not 'medically' depressed, if you get me.. but ... sad? if you realise the difference? which of course, fuels the aniexty.

I'm just frankly, extremely fed up, and since March - it has slowly been getting worse, like I just can't cope with deeling with this issue anymore. It's not more of a sadness.. it's more of a... '**** SAKE I'M REALLY ****ING SICK OF YOU ANIEXTY' feeling.. to be frank.

What i'm basically saying is..

There is a WHOLE list of panic disorders and what not.. but what exactly is mine.. and is mine serious to others? Is there anyone who has got caught in this loop per say that I have?

Since a month ago, I finally decided to give up in hiding this - and telling all my friends and family about this.. which they have been VERY VERY supportive over, and frankly - some friends of mine have in turn - 'came out of the closet' in terms of their aniexty, and admitted that they have it too. Some in the same scale as me, none more than me, others, a bit less..

I've also decided to give counselling a help - which does good, and she agrees, that i'm not depressed, or physicotic or any sort of mental illness, she simply put that - 'my fear of aniexty fuels my aniexty'.

I'm sort of thinking that I may have health aniexty? Because I always thought in the past that I had something wrong with me and it never turned out to be true, and this me always thinking the worst case scenario.

But this has gotten to extreme causes to me personally.. 3/4 of my week now is generally fine.. but others i'm convinced I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown (which i know isn't really the case, i just think i convince myself i am - as the aniexty makes it seem like it, if you get me?) and others I'm just 'down' and sick to death of it.

I'd like to point out. That i am very against taking any sort of medication, i'm convinced that if i just talk to people about it, to you guys, to my friends and family and to a counsellor.. it would work itself out.

I understand that this is full of spelling mistakes and no doubt, grammar errors, but i written it in a rush haha. As i'm missing my favourite T.V Show.. BBC News lol.

I hope you guys can give me some opinions and i'd like to see if anyone has / is going through what I'm going through.. and what you have / is doing to overcome this? And what is the best option? And of course.. what is this? Is it a disorder? Or is just plain old... my personality lol.

I'm sorry this is also very long.. i just had to explain the whole thing..

Many Thanks! :)

Chem
29-10-11, 07:07
Hi. You don't have to be depressed to be anxious. :)

You seem to have done everything right EXCEPT googling internet searches. You'll end up thinking your head is about to literally burst that way! There's lots of information on here to help you and you can go to chat to talk to other people with anxiety too.

I don't think you are going through anything most of us on here haven't felt. Take note of your councellor, she's right - fear of anxiety fuels anxiety.

sarahjb
29-10-11, 22:00
HI
From my experience(20 yrs of anxiety disorder) It is fairly common for anxiety to strike when you are under pressure at uni/college) you seem to have strategies already to deal with it. Positve thinking will definitely help. Its good to ask questions and you have good support networks. stay positive!
Sarah:yesyes:

coryboyirish
30-10-11, 23:40
I'll be honest with everyone - it seems like i'm managing it.. but of course.. every week or so.. there is a 'blip' where the aniexty is bad..

Infact I'll be honest... i completely forgot my counseling session.. but i still think i should go. Often my friends who have had this problem have said that 'you may think it's gone sometimes.. but it always creep back until you get it fully sorted' etc etc

It's nice to talk about it.. i was very scared to talk about it previously!

Abbo
31-10-11, 11:33
Hi Cory I'm a 30 year old bloke, I have almost the same symptoms although mine are a lot more physical with lightheaded feelings de personalization and just feeling faint, mine don't come and go they are 24/7 although they started off 2years ago ob and off, I have been through everything you can think of to try and get to the bottom of this, brain scans heart tests, ent tests, blood and thyroid tests etc and all ok, even been to see mental assessors who say I'm not anxious before, I play football semi pro and 4 weeks ago broke a disk in my back which has resulted in just laying at home. This has made my symptoms a million times worse! I know I am doing this to myself but can't get out of the loop, even family meals or seeing my gf bring the worst out in me! Like u my friends wouldn't really know I have anything wrong and I can hide it, but inside I'm in bits! Mine is not panic or fear it's all physical symptoms! Tried meds twice now for 2 days, people say the side effects are not nice, I can say from my experience it's the worst thing I have ever done, this maybe because they didn't agree with me but I was 100 times worse and still not even close to being right, I'm going to a cbt therapist tomorrow, but to be honest I have been let down by so many people I don't have much faith, it's hard to understand that not everyone has to be a shaky sweaty nervous person to be suffering with this! I hope u find a way that works and please share if u do as not everyone can do the meds thingM

coryboyirish
20-11-11, 16:14
Just an update, it's gotten a tad bit worse, but since i did this thread - i had 3 weeks of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. i mean absolutely no anxiety at all!

then of course.. i was on a plane to spain.. and i said to myself.. 'oh my.. last time i was on a plane i had anxiety (because i was trapped and if i had a panic attack, i couldn't run away)' and then of course.. BAM.. the anxiety lasted all throughout the plane and of course in spain...

although as of 2 days ago.. it seems to be back to normal...

to be honest, there is a thread done by the administrator of this forum.. that gives a link to a free trail for this online therapy thing, by this guy from N.I (where i'm from as well ironically! ) with cartoons and stuff.. and that has worked.. bloody wonders last time! and it has made my anxiety have longer gaps of complete normal in-between.

in other words.. the gaps are getting longer.. they are in.. 3 weeks of no anxiety and then 1 week of tiny anxiety, with a full day in it of a large blip.

this is a big change when this time last year it was almost everyday for a good month.

absolute hell.

to be honest I'm glad I'm fighting it successfully, by the looks of it, and also - how it really hasn't depressed me in the slightest.. it's weird.. unlike a lot of people.. i don't think i've developed the connection between anxiety and being depressed, because i have never had anything sad or stressful in my life happen as of yet.. *touch wood*

also - I'm sorry if this forum does not allow old threads to be 'bumped'. apologies!