PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram - Need Advice

Dan1975
26-10-11, 09:39
Hi All,

I was recently pre-scribed Citalopram by my GP for my GAD. Have been on them just over a week now and have taken 9 tablets so far (one every morning). The doc said I probably wouldn't start to feel better until a month had passed, but I'm feeling a little better already, which is good.

The problem I have is the side effects. Really sweaty hands, extreme difficulty in edjaculating (want to try for a 2nd child so not good!) and worst of all, I have constant ravenous hunger all the time, even directly after I eat! The doc did say that the side effects would pass after a week, but it's just over a week now and no sign of any change yet?! In you're experience will these subside? Should I give it more time? Or should I just stop and ask for an alternative?

Thanks,

Dan

bobcat
26-10-11, 09:46
Hi All,

I was recently pre-scribed Citalopram by my GP for my GAD. Have been on them just over a week now and have taken 9 tablets so far (one every morning). The doc said I probably wouldn't start to feel better until a month had passed, but I'm feeling a little better already, which is good.

The problem I have is the side effects. Really sweaty hands, extreme difficulty in edjaculating (want to try for a 2nd child so not good!) and worst of all, I have constant ravenous hunger all the time, even directly after I eat! The doc did say that the side effects would pass after a week, but it's just over a week now and no sign of any change yet?! In you're experience will these subside? Should I give it more time? Or should I just stop and ask for an alternative?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi

\The side effects are normal Mine were a lot worse than yours but it varies from person to person I started to feel a difference on day 15 day 21 for me now i know i will feel even better in a few weeks as you have to give it time to work...

stick with it the benefits are really good im 20mg wot u on? xx

Dan1975
26-10-11, 10:26
Hi

\The side effects are normal Mine were a lot worse than yours but it varies from person to person I started to feel a difference on day 15 day 21 for me now i know i will feel even better in a few weeks as you have to give it time to work...

stick with it the benefits are really good im 20mg wot u on? xx

Hi,

I'm on 20mg also. Are you saying that you noticed a difference in the anxiety on day 15, or the side effects? Or both?

Cheers,

D

Glitterbugs
26-10-11, 11:03
HI there,

The side effects were awful for me to begin with! I was hot cold, unable to sleep, ached all over after my first dose (20mg).

I saw my GP and she gave me low dose Diazepam (2 - 4mg) to help with the side effects and advised 10mg for a few weeks then up to 20mg.

I took 10mg for three weeks. The first week I had side effects but managable on the reduced dose. Went of food, yawned lots, tired and increased anxiety and my jaw was very clenched.

After three weeks I went up to 20mg and got all the side effects from the first week of 10mg again! Worst being increased anxiety and rollercoaster of emotions.

That was two weeks ago and I am now happily on 20mg with minimal side effects and dare I say it? Maybe starting to feel a little more positive and less anxious?!

The support I have recieved on here has been amazing - to know others are there who understand in the lonely, difficult moments is worth it's weight in gold.

I would say stick with it - but in my experience (and friends experiences) you are looking at between 1 and 2 months before you will start to see the full effects.

Well done for getting this far - you will get there but I know it's a tough road! x

bobcat
26-10-11, 12:48
Hi,

I'm on 20mg also. Are you saying that you noticed a difference in the anxiety on day 15, or the side effects? Or both?

Cheers,

D

Sorry Dan both x

it's defo worth keep taking them theres loads of us on here taking it....

As Glitterbugs says it's a tough road but your get through it keep us updated xx

Dan1975
26-10-11, 13:09
Thanks. I have an appointment with the doc in a week so will defo keep taking them until at least then.

Dan1975
28-10-11, 17:37
Hi All,

Thanks,

Dan

Hi there,

These side effects are not going away! The constant hunger is becoming too much to bear! Does this go away? It's been 11 days now. Seriously thinking about stoping them.

Any thoughts people?

Thanks,

Dan

Glitterbugs
28-10-11, 17:58
Try and keep going if you can...After three weeks on 10mg and just over 2 weeks on 20mg the side effects are going and I feel like me again...I am really seeing a difference in my anxiety levels and feel calm and positive.

It really is worth going through...I felt like you a few weeks ago. I know it's hard. xxx

Dan1975
29-10-11, 19:59
Hi, I just couldn't carry on with citalopram. Did not take it this morning. Feel soo much better already. Going back to the docs on Tuesday to see if he can offer me any alternatives. Shame but I couldn't go through that anymore.

nicola1980
29-10-11, 20:41
Good luck, ill admit the side effects of cit for me were awful and god knows how ive got thro them, am on wk 6 now and slowly improving altho family and friends say theyve seen a huge improvement?? keep us posted how ur getting on xx

Dan1975
30-10-11, 18:08
I decided to jack it in in the end. I would have stuck at it longer were the wife and I not about to start trying for another baby. U cant make someone pregnant if you can't reach orgasm! Have got some CBT sessions in the pipeline so hopefully that and some alternative tablets will help me. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Dan