PDA

View Full Version : pets & fireworks

yorkylover
26-10-11, 17:11
My dogs are scared stiff of firework,I have bought some CALMEX from the vets,has anyone here used it before?:shrug:

I was going to get some ADAPTIL spray,but the reviews were not that good,has anyone used that here?:shrug:

My Dogs really suffer every year,:mad:

If only it were one night and not weeks before and weeks after!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

snowgoose
26-10-11, 18:07
hi :)

My dogs were so scared as well........it is awful to see them suffer so much .
Cant even begin to contemplate animals in war zones :weep:

So .I shut curtains very early on and put radio up high with soothing stuff like Classic FM.

keep the routine that they are used to ........no change at all ...be very matter of fact ....no extra hugging.
I found this the best way without sedating them ........hugs :hugs:

nomorepanic
26-10-11, 18:47
You could try the Bachs Rescue Remedy for pets as well

Anxious_gal
26-10-11, 18:48
sorry your dogs are having a hard time :( My cat is pretty ok with the fireworks, but she hides when there is thunder lol.

pinkdove
26-10-11, 21:28
my wee dog is quite good too, but i can't comment on any of the meds, i know what you mean about it going on to long, hope they are ok. good luck x

M155anthr0p3
27-10-11, 12:21
My cats have been hiding!
I distract them with meat :roflmao:

PolkaDots
26-10-12, 00:22
As it's *that* time of year again, I thought I'd bump this thread. I've tried all sorts with my collie X, who is absolutely petrified of all fireworks and loud bangs. After spending a small fortune on DAP products, calming jumpers and body wraps from Mekuti, I tried a plateful of... mashed potato! It knocked him out, and he slept right through all the firework displays (and there was a lot as I live in the city centre). A plate of basmati rice does the trick, too.

speckles69uk
26-10-12, 02:01
This may sound daft, but I used some exposure therapy with my dog. He's only 9 months old so hasn't experienced bonfire night yet, bless him. What I've done is, every now and again I play some sounds of fireworks on in the background (you can find them on the internet or even a video on youtube). I leave the sounds on and sit with him, play with him so he's relaxed, give him his toys etc, I also leave the room so he's left with the sounds on, on his own and I've noticed that he's just played with his toys. I'm hoping that he's become desensitised to the sounds and when it gets nearer to firework mayhem he isn't phased by them.

I know they do sprays and plug ins that have been mentioned earlier, but I've not tried them.

It's a horrible time of year for pets.

I'll let you all know how he gets on when it gets to that time.

Take care

Rebecca

Annie0904
26-10-12, 02:08
My cat loves them and watches them out of the window. He also loves thunder and lightening :D

Zingything
26-10-12, 02:37
My neighbour has a dog who is terrified of the fireworks noise. She has one of those plug ins that helps calm him. I think it is called adaptil. It looks like an airwick plug in air freshener but for dogs. You can get one for cats too.
Sometimes if the dog is very scared my neighbour buys some tablets from the vet - valium equivalent for pets.
I have to say that I have two cats and fireworks dont other them at all either Annie, they sleep through most of it.

meche
26-10-12, 07:51
I don't know how my cat is going to react as we've only had her since Feb. I'll keep her in anyway because I'll worry if she's left out but she's pretty fearless about most things (she thinks she's a big black panther)!

Tessar
26-10-12, 10:03
i'm loving all the pet talk here. our beautiful cat died last december & we havent been able to repalce her (she was just too precious). soon though we will be getting another one and reading these comments makes me realise we're missing something important in our lives.
anyway; point being that she hated fireworks, thunder, heaving rain.....even tin foil freaked her.
but you know wot, i'm really scared of thunder/lightning but because one eve i came home from work in a storm, i was so worried about the cat i forgot to be quite as scared myself. isnt it great when they help you like that?
we just used to try and distract her with the tv, music etc & hope the big bangs werent too scary. trying to keep her in didnt help as that made her freak even more.

meche
26-10-12, 10:46
Hi Tessar - my gorgeous girl died last December too. She was 17 and I'd had her since she was a year old. I was devastated and vowed never to get another one but the house was just too empty. In February we rescued Pepper and she's brought our house back to life. She will never replace my other cat but there are so many unwanted cats out there who deserve a loving home. Go for it! :yesyes:

Tessar
26-10-12, 11:54
Meche; Before we had our latest cat (she was a 5 year old rescue, we had her 8 years) my previous one was 17 too. I was just the same (devastated/vowed never to get another one) but is true about the house being too empty. That's why we got the next one. I've never waiting this long (10 months) but she was very precious & died very suddenly & it was extremely distressing. But i know it's true so will will replace her. Some time soon hopefully before xmas i can announce her arrival. that will be a very, very happy day i am sure. scary too but full of hope

meche
26-10-12, 13:33
It is scary. I remember bringing Pepper home and for the first few days thought I'd made a dreadful mistake and didn't want her there. She wasn't Posy and didn't do Posy things but after a few more days I started bonding with her. I love her so much now and wouldn't be without her. It's heartbreaking when they die but I would never sacrifice having a pet for that reason. The unconditional love and comfort they bring to your life is worth it. Let me know how you get on when you decide on a new edition! xx

Granny Primark
26-10-12, 16:56
When I was a little girl I had a cairn terrier (trixie) she went missing bonfire night and ive been frightened ever since cus weve got a cat dog and guinee pigs.

Tessar
31-10-12, 09:39
so everyone, dont forget to keep your animals in on the 5th!

BobbyDog
31-10-12, 10:21
I am really lucky with my dogs - 3 of them, they are not at all bothered by fireworks. Strange for my Spaniel, who is terrified of car doors banging outside the house, but he is scared of men and thinks one may come in, I don't think so!:scared15:

I nearly lost Bobby my Spaniel earlier this year, he had pneumonia, which is rare in dogs, he was on antibiotics for 6 weeks. My Mum said that if he died she was going to leave the country(she thinks I'm crazy).:wacko:

Tessar
31-10-12, 11:39
is that bobby in the picture on your profile? so your mum likes your dog, that's cool. i remember my mother hated my cat. nice huh? she used to say it looked wild! it didnt, just had little tufts on its ears. animals are great, they never let us down.

speckles69uk
04-11-12, 15:46
Hey everyone,

I said I'd keep you updated on how my little pooch is getting on with the fireworks, bless him. I know it's early days and there are plenty more fireworks to come, but so far he's absolutely fine, he doesn't even flinch, just carries on playing with his toys or relaxing. I'd like to think my early exposure of firework sounds has helped, but I can't be 100% sure that's the reason why he isn't phased by them. It's worth a try though, for anyone willing to give it a go.

Take care

Rebecca

xxx

lo89
04-11-12, 15:59
I worked in a vets for a while and they sold cd's with fireworks sounds for a fiver. You played it every day, increasing the volume slightly each day, to desensitise your pet.
My cat was freaked out with the cd even at low levels and used to run out the house, so we changed tactics. We now block out most of the noise by keeping windows, air vents and doors closed. We make the house a "safe zone" with no firework sounds, and my bedroom, which is her favourite place, is always open, the curtains are closed and the light is off. I put a heavy blanket under my bed and she usually stays on that all night. It is the one night of the year when she doesn't wake us all up several times to get outside!
She is an old cat (19) and has been really calm this year as her hearing isn't as good!
It is ny poor rabbits I worry about, they usually huddle in to each other so I always put extra cardboard boxes in their cage to give them places to hide and lots of yummy veggies and fruit to keep them occupied, tummy love is the way to go!

Tessar
12-11-12, 16:21
OMG, feeling very apprehensive.... made a phonecall about a new cat today. Seen a picture on a local rehoming website. It looks like just the one I want so but it feels a bit like so near yet so far.....waiting for the people to ring me back.