PDA

View Full Version : Can't Cope with fertility treatment!

cwoz82
29-10-11, 16:58
Hi Guys,

I don't that anyone can relate to this as it's so obscure but I need to vent somewhere someone might understand given my history of Anxiety and Depression.
I'll begin with this...My Husabnd is HIV+ and through no fault of his own, no drugs, no dirty deeds behind my back, we don't know how only that it was potentially due to the job he was doing at the time. We only found out as fresh out of uni and buying our own home he was doing medical research to bring in extra money and for one in the November all was fine, he returned in the February for another stint but they couldn't allow him to do it because of his bloods - this is how we found out and we know it was in that 3 month window it happened so please do not judge by what you think you may know of HIV. He does not have AIDS and is not on any medication, the infection is at exceptionlly low levels in his blood and I remain in a perfectly normal marriage and 5 years afte his diagnosis i remain HIV-. Upon being referred for treatment the Dr told us you can expect 3 treatments of IUI funded and then 1 of IVF.

As we cannot have unprotected sex we must have fertility treatment as a means of having children...it is our ONLY way of having our own unless we were prepared to risk both myself and the child becomming HIV+ and that is simply not an option. 2 years ago, 1 year after we were married we asked to be referred for fertility treatment, it's called sperm washing and this washes the infected material from the actual sperm (as it's carried in the semenal fluid)...we are now 2 years down the line and they are only just now talking about treatment as until now we've been with a clinic in Wales but they no longer provide the treatment and we must go to london for it. A summary so far
1. initial consult, told standard is 3 IUI and then failing that 1 of IVF
2. blood tests to confirm hormones and HIV status
3. Hysterosalpingogram to test my fertility - told all was fine by radiologist
4. consult on tests - problem with hysterosalpingogram need diagnostic lapraoscopy
5. diagnostic laparoscopy - told all fine bar a little endometriosis, book app fo 2 weeks and plan treatment
6. Arrive for treatment planning consult and they didn't even know why we were there, can't find our file
7. Found file another consult - the dr we require is no longer treating at the clinic we must go to london - referral undertaken
8. Consult to plan tests needed for referral - lost referral letter
9. Letter found another consult
10. Husband goes to clinic as told by letter - no suitable nurses in the clinic on his arrival must return another day
11. Tests all done. referred to london
12. 3 months later no word - referral is still on the desk on Welsh consultant
13. 3 weeks chasing referral sign off
14. Sent to london - 3 weeks later and still no word - referral was misplaced
14. 1 week later referral found, consult booked in July for September
15. August - call from clinic, can't do appointment that day, book for October
16. Arrive at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital london for consult - this was Thursday

I'm absolutely petrified of lifts so always take the stairs - there is no stairs option in this hospital so 4 times i had to take the lift. Went to consult, they have no information on our funding, only confirmation it was secured and i need to get that from the PCT but told again that the standard is 3 IUI and 1 of IVF, but apart from all is fine and we are literally waiting for a phone call from the nurse to begin actual treatment. I rang the PCT yesterday morning to transfer the funding to the clinic in london, once it was faxed i rang london and asked of how much funding we have....long wait....."Mrs Jones?...Yes...it looks like it's just one cycle". Cue devastation.

I know it's NHS and things are tight but the one constant in all the mess was we'd always beentold all along it's generally 3 IUI and 1 IVF. The clinic can apply for further funding but this is only after the first treatment and doesn't guarantee a yes and the process is quite time consuming. This brings up so many other issues, financially - we may have to provide sooner than we thought and given that it's £1,500 a pop just for IUI i'm panicking about money as we're not loaded and have just been getting on our feet financially...i'd been looking forward to putting money away to prepare for a child / treatment but now it might be so much sooner than we thought or even if we do have funding i have no idea how long it will take AGAIN. The worst part of this all is that I am trying to fight off a depressive episode and i'm being told from all angles that i have to "cross that bridge when we come to it". Anyone with anxiety and depression will know that we cannot cope with crossing the bridge hen we come to it - I want to know what's on the other side of the bridge before i cross. I ask my husband when comes the point we say enough is enough and we give up on treatment and look at adoption - which we cannot do until at least 6 months clear of any fertility treatment before our application could be considered - and all i get now is that we must do this first treatment before making decisions. Well no because if it fails - as there's a 75% chance it will - we need to have the finances in place to fund further.

I'm terrified that my anxiety, my depression and fear of the lifts are going to make it impossible for me to relax enough to concieve...everyone tells us they know someone who'd had successfull treatment - I don't know a single person who's also had treatment. I wish i'd someone to talk to about it but I don't so I only hope you guys might be able to offer some moral support / words of experience / encouragement so far as trying to cope with all this naturally.

Sorry it's so long but thanks for listening if you've made it to this point :blush:
Just so confused and in an depressive rut.

ElizabethJane
29-10-11, 17:52
Dear cwoz82 I am very sorry that your husband is HIV positive. I have had successful fertility treatment. All I can say at this stage is not to panic. The hold ups and delays are common in this type of spectrum. This is a very concise story of my fertility treatment. I was diagnosed as having PCOS in1992. I had a few assisted cycles at our local hospital with clomid and pergonal. This was in the 1990's. We had four cycles of IUI at a London clinic. Cost £10,000 drugs were paid for by PCT. Eventually had an ECR for one cycle of IVF at Barts. This led to the birth of my son now thirteen. I suggest that you get a correct diagnosis for your infertility. This is very important as we wasted valuable time on IUI as all I could do was to produce multiple eggs that were too small to fertilise. IVF will select the best quality eggs and sperm which will be fertilised in a controlled environment in a laboratory before being place in your womb. I had a high risk of hyper stimulation which unfortunately did happen. Be aware of these risks. I was thirty six when I conceived my son after one single cycle of IVF. If you can take advantage of the counselling/support that the clinic will provide. I was fortunate to have hypnosis too which without doubt helped me to conceive. Don't give up and stay focused. EJ.

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

:bighug1:There is a lot more I could add. It is a postcode lottery in terms of IVF. Government guidelines are for three cycles of IVF for women under thirty-nine. Truth is that few women actually receive it. Local PCT's cannot afford it. I was on a non existent list for treatment that was 'closed' There were many hic-ups along the way. My husband was very reluctant to have treatment in the first place(he was told that he had a low sperm count which was later proved to be false) and I had had treatment in hospital for depression before my treatment started. In hindsight I would never go to a private fertility clinic (they were the ones who messed my treatment up) Always go to a large teaching hospital with a good IVF clinic. The HFEA produce lists of the hospitals/clinics with the best 'take home baby rates' There are good fertility support networks on the net. Good luck and big hug. PM if you want to. EJ.