PDA

View Full Version : Help please regarding withdrawing from Dothiepin

littlewren2011
29-10-11, 17:27
Hi,

I'm new here and wondered if someone could possibly give me some advice please?

Please bear with me while I tell you a bit about my history.

I have been a bad sleeper since my mid 20's when I was going through a bad divorce and was prescribed two lots of sleeping tablets to get me through. This continued over the years with various changes to the prescriptions. I was then put on Tranxene, which I managed to stop as soon as I fell pregnant. However, when my daughter was 10 weeks old, I was taken back into hospital for retained placenta (!) and as a result found I couldn't sleep again. The doctor prescribed mild post natal depression, although I wasn't depressed, and put me on antidepressants for a couple of months. I was so spaced out that I stopped them and he put me on Nitrazepam.

This has continued over the years, but of course your body gets used to sleeping tablets, so a couple of times the Nitrazepam was changed, but with no success, so I went back to it again.

Then.....I've had M.E. for a long time and my then GP told me that Dothiepin (Dosulepin) might help with some of the muscle and joint pain. He said that Nitrazepam was being taken off the market anyway - which I later found to be not true - so I might as well swap over to Dothiepin. I weaned myself off the Nitrazepam and onto 75mg Dothiepin over a few months but couldn't sleep again - & it didn't help the M.E. at all. Back I went, to a different doctor, and asked if I could try and stop the Dothiepin and just keep on the 5mg of Nitrazepam, which he agreed to.

I managed to cut down to 25mg Dothiepin, and still take 5mg Nitrazepam but can't cut the Dothiepin out.

My GP suggested cutting out Dothiepin every other night and on that night take One and a half Nitrazepam - therefore 7 1/2 mg. I did that last night for the first time. I didn't sleep well but as well as that I felt horrible and I don't know if it's because I took half a tablet more of Nitrazepam or whether it was because I didn't take the Dothiepin.

I have a feeling it was the extra Nitrazepam, because I have missed out a Dothiepin in the past a couple of times when I had to have a minor op, so I went to bed without taking anything (and didn't sleep) but I didn't feel so blooming awful.

If anyone is still awake after my long post (sorry!) do you have any suggestions please?

My first aim is to come off the Dothiepin completely and then at some point stop the Nitrazepam, but it's the Dothiepin that's the problem. Because it's in a capsule, you can't reduce the dose.

So sorry again for the long post and hope to hear from someone soon.

Many thanks in advance,

Carrie

ElizabethJane
29-10-11, 18:22
Hello I used to take dothiepin in quite large doses usually 175mg. I withdrew from it fairly quickly. I remember I was asked to take 75mg and then 50mg and then nothing. I had the shakes and was weepy but after that nothing. I was already taking mirtazapine and lithium. NICE guidelines are to take patients off dothiepin. I had been on it for about fourteen years so it was as much a psychological dependence as well as physical dependence for me. I would definitely go back to your GP and discuss your sleep issues with him. If you want to come off it I hope that things work out for you. EJ.

Geoff2301
29-10-11, 18:29
Think I must have been lucky....... I was on 300mg daily for several months and stopped instantly as I started having fits......... no withdrawal side effects at all. Was switched onto Paroxetine at the time. If its a capsule, you should be able to open up the 2 halves and reduce the contents quite easily.

littlewren2011
29-10-11, 19:40
Thankyou Elizabeth and Geoff for your replies. :)

I did ask my GP if I could do that Geoff, but he said definitely not to, as you can't divide the dose properly. It's annoying that it's in capsule form as it would be so much easier to cut a tablet in half etc. I also asked if I could take the liquid form so that I can cut down easier, but apparently it's not been licensed in the UK.

Do you think it would be ok to just take Dothiepin every other night and one Nitrazepam every night (instead of one and a half Nitrazepam when I'm not taking the Dothiepin)?

Also, why do NICE guidelines advise taking patients off Dothiepin Elizabeth>

TIA,

Carrie

snowgoose
30-10-11, 00:16
Hi Carrie:)
I have been on Dothiepin for a long time with a short break last year . Now on 25mg nightly.
my GP was totally unconcerned at my reducing this to every other night if I want to wean myself off them again . Not the best way ..but no other option .
Last time I felt a bit spacy and dizzy for a day or two when reducing .sleep was no better on or off them . It is a small dose so just gradually reduce . Capsules dont help do they ?

The drug is very toxic and dangerous in overdose so Gps are being warned not to prescribe them now.

Nitrazepam from what I know is an old sleeping tablet that loses its action with prolonged usage ..like Valium .

Good luck ..........take it slowly .......your dose is low one . xx

tried the halfing capsule ...........it makes your mouth numb .not good idea .

littlewren2011
30-10-11, 11:36
Hi snowgoose :)

Thankyou for your reply. No, having the Dothiepin in capsules doesn't help at all, I would feel much happier having it in tablet form and cutting down gradually. I don't know why the liquid dose isn't licensed in the UK, something to do with the fact that they don't like prescribing it now in any form maybe?

Yes, I knew that Nitrazepam was an old sleeping tablet, the trouble is I've tried a couple of others - Zopiclone and Zopidem I think they were called - and they both made me feel really weird before I dropped off to sleep and then after a few nights, they seemed to stop working!

When you say your GP was 'unconcerned at you reducing this to every other night if you wanted to wean myself off them again' do you mean that he didn't think you should wean yourself off them or he didn't think taking one every other night was a good idea?

snowgoose
30-10-11, 15:23
When you say your GP was 'unconcerned at you reducing this to every other night if you wanted to wean myself off them again' do you mean that he didn't think you should wean yourself off them or he didn't think taking one every other night was a good idea?

Hi Carrie:)

I think he meant that he was not concerned at such small dose that it would affect me much if I took one alternate nights to wean back off them . Basically a shrug attitude :shrug:. I would have liked to have had a tablet to reduce slowly .
But no problems when I came off them last year in honesty doing the alternate night thing .
it just seems odd for responsible weaning off drugs .......ups and downs in our brain chemistry . :unsure:

BUT I was fine .......so try it .

The sleep med I found best is Temazepam for rest and no hang over next day
But it is addictive and most docs will only prescribe you short course .
Suspect from its name that it is similar to Nitrazepam .

Hope all gets sorted Carrie .
snow x

Geoff2301
31-10-11, 07:55

I did ask my GP if I could do that Geoff, but he said definitely not to, as you can't divide the dose properly. It's annoying that it's in capsule form as it would be so much easier to cut a tablet in half etc. I also asked if I could take the liquid form so that I can cut down easier, but apparently it's not been licensed in the UK.

Do you think it would be ok to just take Dothiepin every other night and one Nitrazepam every night (instead of one and a half Nitrazepam when I'm not taking the Dothiepin)?

TIA,

Carrie
They're not keen on prescribing it as it is very dangerous even on a small overdose. I seem to remember reading it can cause heart problems if you've a weakness there already.

nicola1980
31-10-11, 08:31
Hi i was on dophiepin for about 5/6 weeks and it didn't help me at all so i came off 125mg within a week and started citalopram, thinking looking back i did suffer withdrawals as well as side effects from the cit?? xx

Lilyblue
31-10-11, 21:48

TIA,

Carrie

It's not licenced? I live in the uk and take the liquid form, it's disgusting though. Rather take tablets