PDA

View Full Version : looking for job

saffy f
29-10-11, 19:04
Hi guys

Not sure if this has been posted before,probably has so I apologise if it has.

I'm in the process of looking for another job,I'm really interested in doing care work.Anyway I suffer with panic attacks but I think they are pretty much under control atm.I
I have a application form to complete now but wondered if I said I have pa's whether it would be a hindrence.The reason I'm concerned is I was signed off work a few months ago with pa's.I didnt milk it and went back after 2 weeks even though I could have had longer and I was offered phased return which I didn't take.
At the time work were very supportive but now my line manager is insisting that I continue with my counselling even though I have explained that personally I dont find it helpful but actually makes me feel worse.I have not had any more time off sick and i dont let anything I feel affect my work in any way.She is saying that if i dont go if anything happens where i need time off again they will not support me and insist that i am not suitable for the position.This is not why im leaving but it has made me realise how there is still alot of ignorance out there where this s concerned

Mindful
02-11-11, 19:31
This is a good question!

Its a tricky one, personally i hide my panic-anxiety from work, there was a section on depression, anxiety to tick on the application form, i left it. I just feel that given how many people apply for the jobs, you dont really want anything to make them think you are going to be one of those who takes time off. ( I do take time off, way too much lol but they didnt need to know this when i applied).

saffy f
03-11-11, 18:52
Thanks for replying mindfull
your'e probably right about keeping quiet.I didn't tell anyone about my panic attacks and i have had them years,only when it was really bad that I had to say something at work.
I've been ok lately so hopefully i will be able to keep it hidden and not need any time off
x

Mindful
03-11-11, 18:58
I think if the times comes (hopefully it doesnt) that you are finding yourself taking too much time off, say if you are pulled in for a warning, then its time to tell your manager or who ever about your problems. Thats what i intend to do should i ever get a warning, which might just happen the way i am going. :ohmy:

I think the world is still very behind when it comes to mental illness and as much as they like to think they take mental illness into consideration and have the understanding ect..they really don't. Still if you mention you are mentally ill people back away slowly lol
Its the unknown element i think that makes mental illness frightening for those who are not mental like us :)

saffy f
03-11-11, 19:13
lol..I actually have an application form for mencap as I really want to work as a carer.I'm also going to have a chat with adult learning support tomorrow to talk to them,I just think I would really enjoy that line of work...so i'm sure they would understand how i am :-)... So many years working in an office i need a change.!!
I hope you are soon feeling better and that your boss understands,maybe you should explain the situation before it gets as far as a warning.Everyone needs a bit support sometime xx

Mindful
03-11-11, 19:33
I am one of those people who keeps my feelings to myself, i always have been, i just dont feel comfortable telling anyone about the me underneath. I suppose that comes from being raised to get on with it? Maybe if i get to the point where i have no other choice i will open up to work, until then i will plod on, been plodding for a long time now lol)
Good luck for your new career ::)