PDA

View Full Version : Breathing problems

jay28
30-10-11, 11:26
Sorry to post on here but really need some advice. Has anbody else had this before, since last Thursday i have been worried about my breathing. Feel like i am not breathing proberly, my breathing feels shallow like im not taking in enough air and i am constently aware of each breath i take, after a while i make myself take deep breaths and making myself yawn and might sound strange but sometimes cant finish my yawn.

Its really starting to worry me today and i have been crying all morning.

12ema
30-10-11, 13:09
Hi jay28.. try not to worry this is a common anxiety symptom and cannot harm you ..you will always get enough air it just feels like you can't. I keep getting this too it feels awful sometimes feels like i have to force myself to breathe and feels like im breathing really shallow. One of the worst feelings. maybe try doing some breathing into your stomach then after that ..try hard to take your mind off it. i know its hard though

Mirabelle
30-10-11, 14:57
Hi Jay
Check out Hyperventilation Syndrome. Your symptoms sound like over breathing due to anxiety.
xx

faith1112
30-10-11, 14:59
i actually have had this all day i have it from time to time, its not nice, but wat uv explained i get :( xxxx

Dibbler
30-10-11, 15:01
Just to add to the other posts. I too have had this issue for a while now. When my mind is occupied I then notice that I am breathing ok but as soon as I realise that then I become preoccupied again with trying to control it. It can really mess you up and be very distressing.
It will pass, mine is getting a little better now, so try and not worry too much about it.

anx mum
30-10-11, 15:47
Im exactly the same hun worried sick about my breathing feels like i havent got enough air like u i always end up in tears.

jay28
30-10-11, 15:53
Thanks for the replies, i have never had this before and keep worrying its something more than anxiety, i am really trying to hold off going doctors all the time but its difficult.

anx mum
30-10-11, 15:54
I have had this feeling before but everytime it scares me ive been to my gp many times noone will understand unless they have had it

Dibbler
30-10-11, 16:16
Does it ever cause you a problem in holding a conversation because you feel that you have to breathe more than you might need to..?

amandah
30-10-11, 16:58
Hi This is very common with Anxiety. I am well aware also that I am not breathing properly. All the therapists who treat me say its a common problem with Anxiety sufferers. Regards amandah

.Poppy.
31-10-11, 03:53
I've also had this too. I had it for -weeks- (maybe a month) before I finally went to the doctor. I was terrified - I had myself convinced that my fingers were turning blue, that my lips were turning blue, etc. The only real thing that helped was visiting my grandfather for a couple of days (which at the time I thought meant that I must be allergic to my cat at home....in reality, I was just more distracted).

They did a few tests and it showed I was getting enough oxygen, but when they did a test to measure lung capacity (or something similar - I had to blow into a tube to see how high I could make a little bar go up) it was very weak.

Anyway, they gave me an inhaler which I used for a couple of weeks or so - I suppose it helped some because I felt I was taking control. But there was one point where I feared that I was becoming too dependent on the inhaler and I didn't like the idea of taking medicine I didn't need. So I just stopped. Within a couple of days, I was fine.

It's a very common symptom. I still get it sometimes, but now I know that it's not serious and I can get past it so it doesn't stay long - don't dwell on it and you'll be fine.

I know it's terrifying, and it - like most symptoms - is impossible to explain to others who haven't been there before.