PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia and returning to work

jasperacer
30-10-11, 12:11
I just need some advice.....I've been off sick for 18 months after a car accident after which I developed anxiety/agoraphobia/panic attacks. I've now been issued with 3 months notice (dismissal thru ill health) as I've been unable to travel to work in London. I've been put on a sickness redeployment plan with my company - which of cse means travelling to interviews...hello I've been off sick because I've been unable to travel to work....so how do you expect me to travel to interviews???? I also requested part-time roles only. Of course they keep sending me totally unsuitable roles ie full time jobs etc and then ask why I've not applied for them. I'm still signed off sick...until mid Dec at moment. Union are appealing against the dismissal....Does anyone have any advice what I can do here??? I do want to return to work...but management have been totally unsympathetic to my condition and all this was caused by a 3rd party driver. Very very stressful......DWP are also involved too.....need I say more?

regal
01-11-11, 17:27
Let's not get into the legal issues surrounding this matter. The bottom line is that you WANT to go back to work. That's a good thing.

Think why you are afraid of driving? You have been driving for so many years and only had one incident? That should not put you off. See how you could help the situation? Maybe a new car? Maybe combination of driving/public transport?

Start driving on weekends and I suggest you even ask a driving instructor to come with you. Book 6 hours and they are great at helping people like yourself.

It is not a BIG issue, you just need sometime to recover.

pinkdove
01-11-11, 17:48
Hi your company are being very unreasonable, but you seem to have the help of your union, i gave up my job because of anxiety and depression which led to agrophobia, i should have gone on the sick, i too want to return to work, but we do need to feel confident enough to get there, good luck. xx

steveh31
01-11-11, 18:25
I was in same position I had to be transferred to an office in town I lived in i went back on 25 hours a week and started off going in taxis after I gained confidence I went back onto the bus after a few years I increased my hours to 30 then 34. I was lucky I had a good boss it was the HR that were the nasty ones. I now work on a reception and go to work by bus which is still a problem for me but there is hope if you can get back into a routine you might find you settle and are able to do it.

jasperacer
15-11-11, 11:53
My company have offered to pay for taxi to London for any interviews and HR manager has said she would meet me the other end etc....But I've not been in a car for 18 months since accident and can just about walk to end of my road about 3 minutes away. I live with my Mum and we dont have any access to a vehicle....locally. Car insurance solicitors are not much help either...compensation claim just drags on.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

My company is in West London or Central London. To get to work its 2 buses and tube(s).