PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Sertraline

Mirabelle
31-10-11, 10:33
Hi all
I have been on 40mgs of Citalopram for just over a year and still feeling anxious. I finally plucked up the courage to go back to my GP this morning and he has suggested a change to Sertraline.
He says to take 20mg of Cit with 50mg of Sert for the first 3days, then 10mgs of Cit with 50mg of Sert for 4days and then just the 50mg of Sert for 3 months.
Is this OK?
Will I get withdrawal symptoms?
Also I am very scared of taking new meds
xx

Mirabelle
31-10-11, 19:16
Anyone?

nicola1980
31-10-11, 19:27
Hi don't think i can be much help as ive only ever taken cit but there both very similar drugs and my friend swapped from cit to prozac with no probs at all, no side effects or withdrawal, good luck xx

Mirabelle
31-10-11, 21:07
Thanx
x

nicola1980
31-10-11, 21:15
forgot to say my sister takes 150mg of Sertraline, think she started on 50mg then gradually went up and the only real side effect she got was nausea and she was at absolute rock bottom and in a right state and now its gave her her life back xx

Mirabelle
31-10-11, 22:06
Good to hear that. Thanx
x

haz
31-10-11, 22:06
I cross tapered from Seroxat to Escitalopram with no signifcant problems. So basically, one SSRI to another SSRI. I'm on 50mg sertraline now though as the escitalopram didn't work for me unfortunately.

Good Luck. x

no_name
09-11-11, 18:11
I've also cross tapered from Citalopram to Sertraline a couple of months ago. 40->30mg Citalopram with 25mg Sertraline for 2 days, then 30->20 mg Citalopram with 50mg Sertraline and so on... Until i switched completely to Sertraline, 100mg per day. The switch was AWFUL, hope yours is going better without many SEs

Mirabelle
24-11-11, 20:18
Day 22 on 50mg Sertraline. Feeling really bad so rang the Dr who has increased dose to 100 mg and referred me to psychiatrist. I am really scared of taking the increased dose although I am feeling so bad.

nicola1980
24-11-11, 20:28
So sorry your having a rough time :hugs: I know exactly how u feel and its absoutley awful xx

Mirabelle
24-11-11, 21:01
Thanx Nicola
Just keep telling myself that I will feel well again.
xx

nicola1980
24-11-11, 21:39
and u will :D it just takes time and patience, has ur doc gave u anything to help with side effects? diazepam or anything? xx

Mirabelle
26-11-11, 15:41
No he hasnt but I think I would be too scared to take them if he did.
Day 3 of100mg and last evening I felt almost normal for a few hours. Of course this morning I felt bad again, I managed to get up and dressed but have been on the sofa all day. I just want to feel better and not have to wait so long. My family are doing their best but it is hard for them as they all have busy lives and I live alone.
xx

Mirabelle
29-11-11, 14:09
Day 6 of 100mg and actually felt not too bad when I woke up. I had a shower and washed my hair, which I haven't been able to do for about a week. Put some washing on too. Fingers crossed this is the start of the meds working.
xx

Ambers
29-11-11, 18:24
Good Luck Mirabelle - I am on day 8 and not really feeling much change but have no real side effects yet apart from some minor ones.

taketwo
29-11-11, 18:29
Glad you've seen some light at the end of the tunnel. Keep strong. x

Mirabelle
30-11-11, 17:46
Day 7 of 100mg. Saw Dr today and got all in a state about going, was so exhausted by the time I got in that I could hardly speak to him. He was very kind and talked about menopause and medication. He has ordered lots of bloods including vit D magnesium and thyroid test, also hormone studies.
He says to increase to 150mg of Sert on Friday.
Been crying since I got back, don't know why. Think it was the stress of going out and having to talk about how I feel.

taketwo
30-11-11, 17:55
Crying is only natural and a good release. You have had a very difficult day and come through it.

Well done for that and keep strong. xx

Mirabelle
30-11-11, 19:51
Thanx for your reply, still feeling a bit fragile I guess.
xx

Mirabelle
04-12-11, 22:17
32 days since I started on Sert. Upped to 150mg 4days ago and had a good day today. I actually feel that there may be a light at the end o th tunnel. Also re reading Claire Weeks, she is so reassuring and down to earth.
xx

Quisty
08-12-11, 23:36
I to have just made this switch from 30mg (citalopram) to 50mg (sertraline) this is the first night and I can't sleep. Was on citalopram for 18 months and they worked well after a month or so but gradually the anxiety and panic attacks have come back hence the switch.

I have had CBT as well last year and have now joined this site for extra support.

I'm a little worried as to what I have read about sertraline but hey everyone is different and I will have to wait and see.

Just hope I can sleep sometime soon

Pat77
15-12-11, 13:31
Hi MIrabelle ...
I am on Citalopran for 5weeks now .. not feeling it is working much! 10 years ago a treated panick attack and anxiety with Sertraline (Zoloft 50mg) and after a year treatment, withdrew and I was FANTASTIC fro 10 years ... I am thinking to go to my GP and ask him to change for Sertraline ... Can you tell me how has it worked out for you now !!???
Hope you are much better ...:yesyes:

loreen
15-12-11, 15:12
Hi Pat

I tried citalopram and it did nothing for me except make me depressed.I suffer from anxiety and panic and I have found sertraline to be the only thing that helps. It doesnt cure it,but it makes things much easier to deal with x

alfredo1
06-01-12, 09:30
oh, i've just read your posts. My doctor did not advise me to come off teh cit before taking sertraline. I've gone from 40mg of citalopram yesterday, to 50mg of sertraline today..........i'm now shitting myself that I'm going to be totally fu&ked!!!!

Help..................:ohmy: