PDA

View Full Version : Learning to drive, help needed please

Vickyshannon
31-10-11, 11:19
Hi everyone,

I have suffered with social anxiety, general anxiety, OCD and depression from the age of 16 I am now 29.

Over the years I have had many driving lessons with different driving instructors. I give up with the lessons early on for many different reasons.

The main reason being that when I sit in the drivers seat my anxiety levels go straight to panic and I just feel totally out of control.

Everything which worries me about driving comes straight to the front of my mind and I am playing those thoughts over and over again in my head.

Maybe I should just forget learning to drive. However this has been my life rules....if it causes me too much anxiety I avoid it, be it jobs, hobbies, studying etc.

I was wondering whether anyone with the same difficulties as me has overcome their anxieties and have learnt to drive.

Any help, advice or suggestions I would be extremely grateful for.

Thanking you in advance,

Vicky

doodah
02-11-11, 22:53
Hiya Vicky

I can understand you feeling nervous - I think everyone does - but it's 100 times worse when you suffer from anxiety isn't it :(

I do hope you manage to continue with driving lessons. I tried a few times (my ex husband was teaching me though!:blush:) and I eventually gave up because my nerves got the better of me. I really, REALLY regret it now because I'm sure being able to drive gives you so much more independence.

Best of luck to you,

Wendy :)

Witchitygrub
03-11-11, 01:24
Hi Vicky don't give up or it wins, I have driven for 20years and i recently had a Car accident i wasn't hurt, but it scared me. For the last 6months I've driven 3x but i am not going to give up, I get very nervous now and jittery my confidence is shattered. I get thought's of , what if what if?? now, as prior i would just be cruising along. Driving is great as is owning a car pleasure, you have to start slow back streets perhaps at night or when it's quite and you feel ok. But don't give up ok or it wins?, yes it's very hard to control others around you i think this is the thing with driving, we have no control on the road with other people. One day you will look back and think why was i so nervous, and you will be driving along fine goodluck.