PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram - are there other alternatives?

Dan1975
31-10-11, 13:52
Hi all,

I was recently prescribed Citalopram by my GP. I took them for about 2 weeks, but had to stop due to all the side effects. What I would like to know is...are there any alternatives to Citalopram? Would I have similar trouble with other SSRI's? Or am I better of with a different type of med and if so, do you have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Dan

william wallace
31-10-11, 20:58
All SSRI's have side effects, and tend to make you feel worse before you feel better. Citalopram takes anything up to 3 months for full effect, but you have to persevere.
Time to man up Dan, and get them down your neck:)

haz
31-10-11, 22:17
SSRI's are not the only treatment available for anxiety/depression. The older tricyclic antidepressant can be more beneficial for some patients. There is also SNRI's and other drugs like Pregabalin which is actually an anti-epiletic and mood stablising drug but is now widely prescribed for anxiety disorder.

Ask your doctor about other options for the future, it might make you feel better knowing that if the citalopram isn't the right drug for you then there are other options out there.

It can be very difficult coping with the side effects of new drugs when you are already feeling unwell.

Take care. x

GT
31-10-11, 22:45
i was on citalopram for a while it did nothing, i was then given ecitalpram which is a more refined version of citalopram it is better. doctors give citalopram first as its cheaper and hope that will work, ecitalopram costs the nhs more so they only try that if citalopram doesnt work. you have to give meds time, they didnt work for me and im not on anything anymore. but they may be your answer so bare with it for a while