PDA

View Full Version : GAD

debbiejuk
01-11-11, 12:34
Finally taken the plunge to join this fantastic site. Had anxiety problems for at least 10 years, done well for the majority even getting back to working, although only 12 hours per week about 4 years ago. All been great until August this year and now off work . Daily tasks sometimes seem impossible. Have an understanding husband and 13 year old son and a fantastic supportive mum. After reading this website I know that nothing will happen to me and that all feelings I get are just symptoms to anxiety however I cannot seem to get irrational thoughts out of my head at the moment. Doctor has increased my citalopram from 20mg to 30mg per day about 5 weeks ago. Have seen some improvement but seems slow process. No specifc reason for my anxiety but seems to be general. Any help would be appreciated with coping tips etc.

regal
01-11-11, 17:20
Don't stay at home. Believe that you are a normal person like everyone else. Those tablets etc. may help you but you should be relied on yourself not a medication.

Make some positive changes in your day to day life; join a gym, go for a quick run every day, and try learning a new skill (music?) etc.. Try doing new things, going on a short holiday and booking a new one so you look forward to do something nice.

It helps! :yesyes:

Carys
01-11-11, 17:33
Keep busy ! (lots of things like mentioned above) Things that distract your brain, anything....gardening, shopping, going to the library, walking a dog (if you have one), coffee with a friend.

This may take extreme effort and may seem almost impossible and pointless; your head may still keeps going round in circles, with the thoughts grinding around in your brain and imprisoning you. I know this feeling well- physical anxiety symptoms I find I can slowly cope with, the feeling that my brain is out of control and thoughts are uncontrollable is terrifying.

When you do something to distract yourself, at first, there will probably only be a short bit of time here and there when you forget the anxiety. Over time, these periods of 'forgetting the anxiety' will get longer, until one day you will realise that you've not thought about the anxiety/had the irrational thoughts.

Don't be afraid of the irrational thoughts. Easy to say I know, but you could tell yourself when they arise that other people will have had them, they are nothing more than your brain playing tricks and they will eventually go - even though it may not feel that way now.

Meewah
05-11-11, 00:41
Hi

I agree with all the above. Use this set back as a trigger for positive change. Use it to start new things. Get out get fit, learn new skills. Spend some time doing things you enjoy.

Anxiety can bring about lots of really positive changes in your life. The one thing you must not do is ask yourself why you feel like this. Ruminating will destroy your quality of life.

Keep busy doing the things you never had time for.

Best of luck

Mee