PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram side effects

anxious
25-05-06, 13:32
i've been taking Citalopram 10mg now for about 10 days and i'm feeling very sick - is this normal and does it go away? I've also noticed pins and needles in my arm, is this a side effect or unrelated?
thanks

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

joolsukuk
25-05-06, 15:36
hi.
im not on this but my friend is and is complaining of feeling sick..i did when started prozac but has worn off,,friend is on day 4 of citalopram ,but she was on it before and had same symptoms..dont know about the pins and needles ,if your concerned ask your gp .best of luck.

jools xx

Two heads
25-05-06, 17:26
im on citalopram and the sickness is normal to begin with so dont worry.If you are worryied that much give your gp a quick ring as i did the frist few weeks off taking them they get this all the time!xxx

Daisybun
25-05-06, 18:56
I've just been given citalopram, don't want to take it scared of side effects - arghhh, don't feel too bad atthe moment don't want to make me feel worse. Last time I took a 20mg tablet in an hour I was in the loo with upset tummy. yet 4 years ago i was fine, i don't understand. I'm very confused!

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

brigidg86
03-10-08, 09:27
I have been on Citalopram 40mg for 6 almost 7 yrs. im coming off them again now, been on and off in that period mostly on them. been a wk without.feel like every1 hates me,im cryin, hav blurry vision n im extremely worried i need to go back on them,im actually due to pick up a new script today after more suicidal thoughts,

Oceangirl
06-10-08, 20:53
Dont be sad :winks::winks:ur not alone xxxx U will be fine.

crunchie01
06-10-08, 20:58
hi,

dr gave me 20mg citalopram, i took it once and i felt like i wasnt on this planet:wacko: :wacko: i never took it again. this was my reaction to it but other people may be fine on it

jenniexxxx

ilovesaucepans
11-10-08, 00:36
Citalopram completely took my body by surprise. As a 17 year old, fairly healthy girl, I wasn't expecting the side effects my doctor had warned me about.
My GP warned me that I'd feel ill for a few days but it would wear off.

My GP failed to mention the dry mouth, sweating, panicy feeling, insomnia combined with drowsiness and also slurred speech. It was like the two 20mg tablets I had taken in 2 days were raiding my body for toxins or something.

I made the mistake of taking the tablet in the morning. I then had to deal with all of these side effects throughout my second day of the drug.

I've found that taking it at night helps, and please ensure you are well hydrated. I haven't been taking it long, but already the side effects are wearing off.

I'm not sure about the pins and needles. It may be a side effect, but I would ring your doctor or ask to see him/her again about that issue.

Good luck x

Mahomar
12-10-08, 11:23
I'm on day 16 of taking citalopram 20mg.

The first week was pretty awful, I was laid up in bed literally not moving except to go to the toilet because I just felt unbelievably lethargic, the nausea/upset tum was pretty awful to begin with & one night I only got about an hours sleep...just tossing and turning and praying not to actually vomit.

After being on it for about 7/8 days I did start to feel better and last week I felt 'normal' & optimistic for the first time in months. I was able to motivate myself to get out and do things I needed to, I drove my car for the first time in about 3 months & I was finally able to start eating normals meals & enjoying it!

However yesterday I started feeling like I'm going back to how I've been for so long, just tired, weird 'tension' in my tummy & feeling very anxious about being ill and just quite irritable and miserable. My appetite has diminished quite a lot too, even though it's not been back for long.

I think it's still early days though & I guess I can't expect to just feel better and not have bad days ever again..it's just nice that I was starting to feel like a normal happy person again.:shrug:

ND
20-10-08, 18:33
hello all,

the problem with this med is that it worsen the problems the patient already has. ex: if the patient experience nausea it will get worst. So the trick is that it takes you down from where are an then up. The down point is the moment that you dont have to quit!

good luck

samanthayarwwod
25-10-08, 14:12
i have the tingles 2 i was on 10 mg and in hell off a state im now on 20 and since starting them i have pins and needles in my left arm mostly im scared and not nopng what it is hoping its 2 do with the meds are u ok now do u stillget it this is my week 7 samxxxxx

copsgirl
13-11-08, 21:37
Hi
I'm 10 days into Ctprm 20mg. have felt pretty awful the whole time, but today was the worst. cried all morning - everything was the end of the world - felt sick, metalic taste, head felt like it was in a vice - not a headache, but pressure. Body shaking inside and out. Hot. Cold. spaced out.
Hadnt eaten much at all for a few days (one of the positive side effects???) but eventually was convinced to eat something. BOY DO I FEEL BETTER.
Lots of people say that we should remember to attribute the side effects to the drug, and this is true of eating. we may not feel hungry but our bodies need food.
I feel better physically and much more positive too.
Hope this helps!!!
Clare x

MacAodh
13-11-08, 22:21
I've just been given citalopram, don't want to take it scared of side effects - arghhh, don't feel too bad atthe moment don't want to make me feel worse. Last time I took a 20mg tablet in an hour I was in the loo with upset tummy. yet 4 years ago i was fine, i don't understand. I'm very confused!

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Hey Daisybun, I started them about 7 weeks ago, and had that same problem... but only once. I think it was cos I worried myself into an upset tummy over the possible side effects, rather than a real side effect too! The side effects are a little too hyped up I think: they do come, I had a bit of nausea, jaw clenching, patchy memory and general slowness/drowsiness, but those do wear off and the effects do build up to alleviate the depression.

Just a point to everyone: they don't completely stop depression, if you have a really s**t weak its as if you burn up the resources and end up depressed again. It doesn't mean they're not working. It means you've had a s**t week and need to take a break and relax, let them build up their effect again. Give them a chance though. If you're not convinced after that, then go back to your GP.

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

P.S. Nice one copsgirl, I was recommended to take them in the morning with food, hope that helps :)

shewie
23-01-10, 13:42
Hi
Have been taking Citalopram for about 3 months now has made me feel loads better able to go to work and enjoy my life a little, only problem now is that i'm getting bad pins and needles in my arms and hands at night waking me up as both arms are affected at the same time quite scarry at night iwas wondering if anyone had also experiance simlar issues with the drug after this amount of time! anyway off to the doctors on monday need to know if this is the citalopram or not, but i would still recomend anyone who suffers anxciety or depression to just bite the bullet and take the citalopram it does help the side effect is not as bad as the depression.:)

jascoco
23-04-10, 08:52
i have been on citalopram for 2 weeks now and the first few days were the worst. my gp put me on the 20mg and i literally couldn't do anything. first time i was spaced out, throwing up and had palpitations. i've been put on the 10mg which i am responding to to a lot better. i take them at night before i sleep and all that i am experiencing now are very vivid dreams and slight stomach upset and fatigue when i wake up. i'm less tense and also a lot more rational in my thinking. eating before taking them helps with nausea.

jaded jean
23-04-10, 17:03
Hi all
I am on day 16 of cit.
I felt as if I had not taken anything and I take 2mg diazepam first!! I have felt dizzy, anxious and generally yuk- and this is all part of it. 4-5 weeks I was told by my gp. but it will differ person to person.
Jean

jaded jean
28-04-10, 13:44
How long does the dizziness last its getting to me now. Only had it three days but it is taking up my day.horrid horrid horrid!
Jean