PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety & fear Of Hospitals

amandah
01-11-11, 15:19
Hi I am 55 soon, yes I know this might sound daft but I have got to under go an op next year to have all my back teeth out. Ok I am having this done in a private hospital. But what scares me is having one day to go into an NHS hospital as I am not believed with Anxiety in any way. Health insurance is so costly as well. I would prefer a private room if I ever had to go under the NHS as I would be weeping myself .Any ideas? Would be so grateful. I have had anxiety since a child. regards amandah

nomorepanic
01-11-11, 15:33
Amanda

As daft as this sounds when you HAVE to do it you will cope.

I had to go in for 2 months in Sept 2008 and I don't know how I coped but I did. I guess I had no choice so had to accept I had to be there.

It is amazing what we can do when we have no choice.

As for a private room on the NHS - highly unlikely lol.

countrygirl
01-11-11, 16:07
YOu really don't want a room all to yourself on the nhs as this means you are infectious or very seriously ill or have one of the superbugs.

The fear of it is far far greater than the reality of it.

nomorepanic
01-11-11, 16:47
I had a private room for a few nights in case I passed on anything to the other patients but you get forgotten about. No-one came to see me, I missed the cups of tea and sometimes even food never got to me!

debs71
01-11-11, 18:31
I had a private room for a few nights in case I passed on anything to the other patients but you get forgotten about. No-one came to see me, I missed the cups of tea and sometimes even food never got to me!

Yes, cubicles can be very isolating on a ward, but it depends really what type of person you are as to whether you can handle that. Personally, I would prefer a side room, but others like being out on the open ward interacting with others. That is awful Nicola if you were missed out!!

I am afraid that getting a side room is a matter of what you are in for. They are purely for infectious patients, young babies (in Paeds wards) patients who need special care - intense one-to one nursing for example, or those who have specific, sensitive needs.

I think it would be quite hard to obtain a room of your own in the NHS as usually they are so thin on the ground anyway, but there is a tiny chance that if you told them about the severity of your anxiety, and they could accommodate your request, they would. We would quite often place patients in side rooms, but express to them that if the cubicle was needed for anyone coming in who required it as an essential they would have to be moved onto the open ward. It depends a lot on the ward, its managers and general circumstances at the time of admission to be honest.

Going privately is of course the best option for you as you DEFINITELY would get a room, without question. Money talks I'm afraid.

As everyone says, often the anticipation of a scary situation is worse than actually doing it, and when you know what the status quo is, you CAN face it and get through it.

Lots of luck and hugs to you.x:hugs: