PDA

View Full Version : bladder problems and feeling ill

eleanor_rigby
01-11-11, 15:57
Hi, I'm 22 years old.

About a month ago I started feeling weird twinges when I was urinating and so I thought cystitis was coming on as I've had it once before. It did come on and I was quickly in agony. I went to the doctors and got some antibiotics. That night I barely slept because my stomach was in so much pain and I was sweating and feeling very ill. I went back to the doctors the next day and then sent me into hospital. I was put on a drip overnight and given antibiotics via IV. I was able to urinate without pain after that but i still felt incredibly ill - like I have the flu and very fatigued it was difficult to even shower or walk very far. The hospital told me nothing and discharged me after 24hours with a sheet that said my diagnosis was Urosepsis. They also gave me antibiotics to take orally for 4 days.

I felt ill for a couple of weeks, I started to feel abit better but I was not convinced my urine infection had gone. After 2 weeks I went back to the doctors and got more antibiotics because it was hurting when I urinated. I was on trimethoprim for 3 days which did absolutely nothing. I spent the whole time feeling probably worse. I barely left my bed for 5 days and was in a constant sweat. Came off them and went back to the doctors. I was more bothered about the fact that i now felt like I'd had the flu for essentially 3 weeks. I was unable to work or go into Uni and I'm scared to death to have any more time off. I got more antibiotics nitrofurantoin for 5 days. For the first two days I started to feel better and went into Uni. Then i deteriorated over the weekend just gone. I finished these antibiotics on Saturday and was in work Sunday and had to be sent home. I could barely walk from the pain and feeling so damn unwell. So I left work and went to see the emergency doctors and they have put me on more antibiotics.

OK here are my issues - I appear to have a UTI but I am not responding to antibiotics. My urine samples contain traces of blood but when they get sent off to the laboratory they come back negative. All my urine samples have come back clear. Also I feel so damn ill and fatigued??

I just don't understand and feel so unhappy it's gone on for a whole month :-(

countrygirl
01-11-11, 16:13
Has anyone mentioned kidney infections as this is common with water infections and a kidney infection makes you feel incredibly ill with all the symptoms of flu plus usually backache.

Are you saying that your urine samples are showing no infection at all?? This would be rather strange given your symptoms or just that they don't show blood in the lab??

As this has gone on so long I would personally be pressing my Dr to have further tests of my kidneys ( ultrasound and bloods). Ask all the questions you have asked here and get answers and ask for more tests, you have very def symptoms that need investigating, usually with urine infections they can isolate the infection and the lab can tell the Dr what antibiotic will work which means you don't have to keep trying all different ones.

Let us know how you get on.

eleanor_rigby
01-11-11, 16:27
Hello, thanks for your reply. On two different occasions now with two different urine samples the doctor dip tested it and both times said there are traces of blood in my urine. Then sent it off to the laboratory and both times it came back completely clear - no infection. I don't understand. I'm thinking maybe I don't actually have a UTI since I am not responding to treatment and the urine samples are clear. I just don't know what else could be causing such symptoms of fatigue and illness connecting to some kind of bladder issue. I wake up every three hours in the night to urinate. I just don't understand what's going on. I'm going to finish my current batch of antibiotics before going back to the doctors to request scans and blood tests. But I know when I was in hospital they tested my bloods and never mentioned anything.

I haven't experienced any back pain whatsoever until the last couple of days and i'm constantly taking painkillers it feels like.

nicola1980
01-11-11, 16:32
Hi im going through exactly the same i had a kidney infection 4 weeks ago and omg i thought i was dying i felt so ill, was on mega strong antibiotics and since then ive had a further 2 water infections, if your sample showed traces of blood then there is an infection! Hope you feel better soon, drink lots of cranberry juice i drink it by the carton load now! X x

PinkRoxy
01-11-11, 19:58
Have you considered interstital cystitis its a cystitis that is not caused by infection and it doesnt respond to antibiotics.

With IC you still have blood in your urine and have all the horrible burning and pain symptoms but there is no infection shown. That is wrong for your doctor to give you antibiotics if there is no infection found because that could do more damage.

Anyway I would go back and mention Interstitial cystitis be clear say you want a referral to a urologist and get tested for IC and make sure they do it and make sure its graded urgent so you get seen to quickly, not saying its serious aor anyhting just for your own peace of mind and so you can get it sorted and be in comfort sooner.

I really recommend you do that though because its better to find out for sure. I am surprised they didnt check you out for it sooner but its better late than never.

I am sorry you are experiencing these symptoms as they are awful I know and I hope you feel better soon honey. (((hug)))

Just to let you know Ive been having issues with my bladder too this year and I understand your anxiety and worry over it.

hyg
01-11-11, 22:48
HI
Oh I so feel for you as similar happenend to me earlier this year. In Feb I had cystitis and got some ABs but it didnt go and I too ended up in hospital with a kidney infection.I went on to have recurrent utis for months after this and in total had 9 courses of abs.As soon as I finished a course Id get urinary symptoms again. My urine samples also came back negative-because it was being tested when Id been on ABs so nothing would grow-and I feel this is whats happening with you. In the end I was referred to a urologist ( I had a brill gp ) He put me on a low dose antibiotic for 4 months and this finally kicked it. He also didnt buy intio the IC theory. Once you ve had a bad UTI the bladder walls become inflammed and this can take months to settle. I felt ill for months and I know how fed up you must feel. What you need is a urology appointment-any chance of going private to one ? x

PinkRoxy
02-11-11, 04:07
If it was a kidney infection then surely the hospital shouldve picked up on that. I would def go to a urologist then. Because you need to get this sorted so you feel better again soon.

doris
09-11-11, 20:59
hi i am 51 years old and have been having bladder problems for a long long time i feel really ill and spaced out at times with it my symptoms are pain on the left side and back and passing little bits of urine frequently i recently had a cystoscopy which was normal today i took a urine sample to the docs as i was getting symptoms again and the dipstick test showed a trace of blood but the doc would not give me antibiotics i am also waiting for a ct scan i am feeling very uncomfortable