PDA

View Full Version : Left my Job but now what????

Desprate Dan
02-11-11, 10:17
Hello fellow Anxiety sufferers..

I have been suffering depression and anxiety for a long time now and tried as best to keep it hidden from everyone, but it was dragging me down and wearing me out.. I was so sick at work I was laying awake worrying all night, the getting up and going to do my shift and then worrying all night again. It was making me very ill and I was retching each morning with the fear of the coming day..

I couldn't go on living this way but I was also terrified of telling anyone how I was feeling inside. I decided I must do something so I handed in my notice and managed somehow to get through until my finish date..

What had I done, I had walked away from my job of 10 years, was I crazy. I asked myself this so many times but it was either end it or it was surely going to end me!!!

I am now not sure what to do. I have no job and feel like a criminal. I have not claimed any benefits and no one really knows I am not working..

I know I will not be entitled to Job Seekers because I left my job. I can not claim sickness benefit because my savings are to high.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice on what I should do?

I am currently looking for employment but finding it difficult.

What about National Insurance? How do I pay?

Thank you.

mikejames
02-11-11, 10:30
HI Dan

First off well done for leaving something that was making you so ill - I have been signed off till Monday yet I know when Monday arrives I will be retching / sweating shaking etcetcetc ......am sure you know

I am an accountant and you can pay your national insurance - ask at your job centre and if you have worked a long time you ARE entitled to benefits

Why not ring the Citizens Advise and see what they say

What sort of work did you do - could you go self employed as in work for yourself your own hours ??

Hope that helps a bit

Take it easy on yourself you are not a bloody criminal just a human decent person

Mike

Desprate Dan
02-11-11, 10:49
Thank you Mike, I was so afraid of the response I may get from people. Thanks for being understanding..

I had no other choice, believe me it was not a choice i made easily. I had come to the end of my tether..

I am really sorry for what you are going through and I think I can relate. Just before I left my employment I went to the doctors, he gave me a two week sick note. I could not relax and rest during them weeks as the thought of going back just loomed over me and filled my every thought.

I have worked since 16 and now I am 36 had two jobs and paid my contributions. I am not self employed I worked shifts in process operating.

I really cant face doing that type of work again and really want a new start, something rewarding maybe helping others, but I am not sure as to what. I am willing to do training at college, and work for less pay.

Hope everything works out okay for you Mike.

Take care

D

mikejames
02-11-11, 10:58
hey no worries - that's why we on here !!!!!!

Have a couple of weeks off - stress free - you said you had savings so dip into those if need be and don't feel bad about it

While you are looking for a new change - and good on you - do an open university course or some voluntary work - will get you out and about and meet some different people and you would be making that difference

Good luck in whatever you decide - let me know

Mike

chappers1980
02-11-11, 11:03
I think you can claim Job Seekers Allowance, my husband told me thats what the job centre said even if you've quit your job so I'd look into it.

weevil
02-11-11, 11:18
Hi, you are not a criminal at all, we beat ourselves up so badly for feeling like we do but we wouldn't choose it at all would we?

I think you need the break and you shouldn't rush into looking for new work straight away it could feel more stressful than doing your previous job that you were familiar with. It's a great idea to be thinking of studying for something new, I'm going to try and do Open University because I've tried going back to Uni proper but can't cope with going somewhere everyday surrounded with people.

I would think you should be able to get ESA, I know they don't like people volunteering to quit their job and claiming JSA but it's not what happened with you, you had to stop for your health.

Keep us updated anyway,

Desprate Dan
02-11-11, 11:45
Well thank you all for your comments its so reassuring to know you think I made the right decision. Like I said it was not an easy choice to make myself unemployed. But when I did I felt such a huge relief and weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I now think the whole reality of it all is setting in and I feel a little anxious as to were I go from here. Which doors to knock on etc.

If I was to apply for Job seekers allowance surely they would push me hard to take any job?? I really would much rather take a little time to find something or train for something that I would find rewarding. I would hate to feel pushed and pressured to take something like I have just escaped from.

Would the Job centre help me even if I am not claiming benefits? I really could do with a careers chat and someone to sort of point me in the right directions which may open a few doors. Currently I feel just lost in the system with no real direction.

D