PDA

View Full Version : mums driving me to ocd

R.Barratt
02-11-11, 18:01
i have lived with my mum til aged 16 i only moved out a few months ago. she has had ocd for years and has only ever admitted it a handful of times but would never go to the doctors. therefore she has slowly got worse. she wasnt nice to live with because her life revolved around order and cleaning rather than her children and all of our happiness. i have noticed now that in my own flat i can hardly ever relax as i feel it is never clean enough, i always have to check if the doors are closed and lights are off. its horrible. is something wrong with me? :scared15:

Chem
03-11-11, 00:15
We all learn from those around us when we are children. You have learnt from your Mum that things have to be cleaned just so and placed in exactly the right spot.

You are behaving in your own flat as you have been taught. This doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you. In fact, you are questioning what you are doing which makes it less likely you have a problem.

Try leaving a light on, a towel on the floor, a dirty plate in the sink.... Nothing bad will happen. :hugs: It might be worth having a word with your doctor about relaxation therapy or counselling to help you feel confident enough to establish your own behaviours.

R.Barratt
03-11-11, 14:06
thank you very much. that has actually helped to calm me slightly.
last night i got very upset left my byfriends flat to go to mine and clean luckily he understood and came with me to help and try and calm me down.
i do see a councillor regularly but i havent seen anyone for 2 weeks and i dont know when im next seeing someone so i am feeling quite tense.
can you please private message me i want to get to know as many people as possible :hugs: xxx